• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What breed is best for 1ft time owners

lillylau

Warren Scout
I know this forum is very much for adopting and I will go and have a look, and I have in the past and will in the future adopt from rescues. all I really am looking for on this post is just a list of breeds you would advise to have a look at thanks

I dont think that in general any Breed can be defined as good for a first time owner

Probably NOT a long coated one, so not a Cashmere/Angora or very fluffy Lionhead

Adopting an adult Rabbit would be better as the character of the Rabbit will be known. Their likes and dislikes etc. A cuddly Baby Bunny can turn into a Psycho-Bun !!

I guess it depends on what space you have, so if you space isn't an issue then you could have a big a breed as you want. Even if you have a smaller breed they still need lots of space to run around in.

Everyone has their favourites. I prefer the smaller breeds and love mini lops as they are generally friendly, but this can sometimes depend on the actual rabbit too. I would look at people's signatures on here and see what rabbits you are drawn to. There are lots of cute ones.

I know you cannot generalise the personality of rabbit breeds and this is purely from my limited experience...I really wouldn't recommend lion heads for a first timer - not only is the all the hair an issue, they are rather fiesty little beasties and not the friendliest or easiest to handle. You need to be fairly confident I think to have one.

Our lops on the other hand - would highly recommend - they are such friendly little people who love attention and nose rubs and being around us.

As I say - this is purely from what I've experienced...and other people will have had different experiences...each rabbit is different after all.

rabbits all have different personalities so I'd honestly get one based on that rather than breed.
That said, I'd probably advise going for a dutch or something else relatively wild looking in shape and fur type, as these will tend to be the healthiest rabbits.

Let the rescue advise you, they know what rabbits are suited to a first timer and which are better for a more experienced owner :)

No one on here can give you a list of breeds to go for personality wise because rabbits vary so much. You get rabbits of every breed that are lovely and rabbits of every breed that are really aggressive and as the rabbits in rescue have come from a wide range of backgrounds you can't judge it on its breed

What you will want to stay away from is any really long haired breeds, a rabbit with a bit of a lionhead mane should be fine but nothing fluffier than that unless you want to cut all their fur off. Rex are maybe worth staying away from too because they're so prone to sore hocks because of their short fur but if they're a breed you really like you'll be able to get lots of help from this forum.

I agree with what Jane said, go for an adult, it's personality is already fully developed where as a baby could turn out awful no matter how much love it gets so they're best left to the people experienced in training rabbits or those who only rescue if they can get a cute little baby rabbit

Are you familiar with the rescue process and home checks and things? Also most rescues will want the rabbit living with another (although some rehome single rabbits if they're going to live inside with a lot of human contact)

Good luck with it all I'm sure you wont be disappointed :D

Back