• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed please! ESMERELDA IS HERE!

Shall I get Bobby a girlfriend?

• Yes

Votes: 57 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi All,
I'd really like to hear what you think. I have a single male bunny, Bobby, who's about 16 weeks old now. I am due to start work as a nurse so I'll be out for longer periods than I am now. I wanted to get Bobby a girlfriend so that he's not so lonely and I've found a beautiful little bun from the RSPCA who I have now reserved. The problem is that my boyfriend (who doesn't live with me) has gone mad at the thought of this and really doesn't want me to get another. I've tried to talk to him about it and explain why I'd like to have two. Am I being really selfish if I get another? Is there any way I could convince him? I'd feel awful if I had to say no to the RSPCA now and let them down.

Last edited:
Its in your bunnies best interests to have a bunny friend, especially if you're going to be out alot more than you are at the moment - why does he not want you to get another?

If he doesn't live with you tell him to butt out!! Maybe point out that if Bobby has a friend, then you won't feel the need to spend loads of time with him which means more time for you and your boyfriend ;) Maybe at this point you could leave open a magazine on the lingerie page or something similar just so he gets the idea without your promising him anything :thumb:

They don't call me manipulative for no reason :lol:

Its in your bunnies best interests to have a bunny friend, especially if you're going to be out alot more than you are at the moment - why does he not want you to get another?

Yes I've tried to explain this to him but he thinks it will just be more mess! To be fair to me Bobby isn't even that messy now, he just drops a few currants in the wrong place sometimes. I think he thinks that they will chew stuff. Bobby chewed some wires but I've fixed them now and all wires are out of the way. :cry: I think he's being mean lol! Just don't know how to convince him that, like you say, it's in both of the bun's best interests. Bobby needs a friend and Cranberry needs a forever home!

If he doesn't live with you tell him to butt out!! Maybe point out that if Bobby has a friend, then you won't feel the need to spend loads of time with him which means more time for you and your boyfriend ;) Maybe at this point you could leave open a magazine on the lingerie page or something similar just so he gets the idea without your promising him anything :thumb:

They don't call me manipulative for no reason :lol:

Haha! Brilliant idea! I told him in a kind way that because he doesn't live here then it's not really his decision but he's pulling out the 'I'd like to think you respect my opinion' card. And I really do, I just disagree with what he's saying haha! I know he's just worried about me and that they might destroy my stuff but I'm a big girl and I can cope! Now to get an Ann Summers brochure!

Can't understand why he is so against it, especially as he doesn't live with you :? I would definitely get him a friend,it will benefit him so much, especially as you will be out of the house for longer. go for it :wave:

I wouldn't let anyone tell me I couldn't get another bun...I come ready packaged with Kids & buns, if a man doesn't accept that, then that's his problem :lol: If he really likes you, then he would want you to be happy...and a happy bun is a happy bunny mummy! And a girlfriend will make your bun very happy :love:

p.s. my OH doesn't live with me...he pretends he don't like my buns & piggies and says my house smells like a zoo (it doesn't really!) but when he thinks I'm not looking, he'll go and have a quick sneak at them, especially the piggies as he used to have piggies himself when he was younger!

Last edited:
My boyfriend was initially against me getting a second bunny due to it being more work more mess etc (insert more invalid reasons here). We do live together so I suppose he does have a say in it, but I was very firm and explained that we didn't deserve to be bunny parents if we made selfish decisions based on what may be best for us, not the buns. He did agree to me getting a second but wasn't happy about it and made it clear he would have nothing to do with them. Of course he realised how ridiculous he was as soon as he saw how happy they were together and he loves them both to bits. I would definitely go for it, your boyfriend will come around! Even if he doesn't, it's your decision to make and you are making it for all the right reasons. :thumb:

:thumb::thumb::thumb:
Thanks everyone!

He does spend a lot of time here but I'm still not having it! I think he will come around as well especially when he sees them snuggling up together (fingers crossed they do!). Fruitandnutcake I came ready packaged with a little boy and now I keep making additions haha!

If he lived with you I'd say you should listen to his reasons not to, but as he doesn't why does it concern him! Get another bunny :love:

Get a new bunny.

If you haven't already, neutering your boy will help with the toilet training.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Definitely get your bun a friend (is he neutered? He needs to be first). If your boyfriend doesn't live there it's none of his business!

:thumb::thumb::thumb:
Thanks everyone!

He does spend a lot of time here but I'm still not having it! I think he will come around as well especially when he sees them snuggling up together (fingers crossed they do!). Fruitandnutcake I came ready packaged with a little boy and now I keep making additions haha!

I keep making additions too..That's how I ended up with 4 buns and 2 piggies :roll: ..as I've said before, my buns & piggies will be with me all my life...can't say that about all the men I've been with!

Two bunnies are not any more messy than one - and he needs a mate - he will be so much happier and content. Your boyfriend will just have to suck it up that's all. It's just his ego that's being silly - wanting you to put him and his feelings first...silly man ;)

:thumb:

Yes if he lived with me then I'd definitely have to listen, well I'd pretend I was for a little bit longer but I'd get one in the end! He's being neutered on Monday! Fingers crossed it will help with his litter training just so I can prove my bf wrong haha!

:thumb:

Oh and it doesn't help that there's a "rabbit woman" at his work who's telling him that rabbits don't get lonely like cats and dogs especially when they're house rabbits. She might be right about the house rabbit bit but its more for when I'm not here! And no offence if you're a cat lover but cats entertain themselves anyway don't they?! :lol:

Last edited:
Oh and it doesn't help that there's a "rabbit woman" at his work who's telling him that rabbits don't get lonely like cats and dogs especially when they're house rabbits. She might be right about the house rabbit bit but its more for when I'm not here! And no offence if you're a cat lover but cats entertain themselves anyway don't they?! :lol:

We thought that about Bobo - thought he was fine on his own - but seeing him now with his wife Harley - just a different, MUCH happier rabbit. It is so lovely to see. Stick to your guns - and hopefully the weight of us lot shifts OH onto your side.

If it were me, and I could afford to, I would get Bobby a companion - he would be much happier once bonded. If your bf isn't really a rabbit person, he probably doesn't understand. You obviously don't want to upset him (bf not Bobby) but actually it is your decision to make.

If it were me, and I could afford to, I would get Bobby a companion - he would be much happier once bonded. If your bf isn't really a rabbit person, he probably doesn't understand. You obviously don't want to upset him (bf not Bobby) but actually it is your decision to make.

We thought that about Bobo - thought he was fine on his own - but seeing him now with his wife Harley - just a different, MUCH happier rabbit. It is so lovely to see. Stick to your guns - and hopefully the weight of us lot shifts OH onto your side.

He knows I'll do what I like anyway!! Thanks guys! :thumb: Hopefully they will bond successfully and be very happy together!

Back