• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

White vinegar for cleaning - NO THANKS - lol x

suzibunbun

Mama Doe
Following on from my recent thread - and listening to everyone's advice - I purchased a 5 litre container of white vinegar from the wholesalers and a spray bottle - all excited I sprayed a load in to 2 corner toilets - 1 large and 1 small and left them (house stinking!) after 30 minutes or so went to scrub them and NOTHING came off!! I tried again and again but not much better - this morning 1 of them is now clean but not the other! Off to get some more of my STRONG stuff today! What am I doing wrong or is my buns bladders?? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lol: How much was there in the tray? I find I have to leave a good 1cm depth. I agree though it stinks so I rarely use it. Now I mainly use a bit of fairy and lots of elbow grease!

Dunno what you're doing wrong but you'll never have to buy glass cleaning spray again... you've got enough vinegar for the next 30 years... :lol:

lol..I just use Harpic Power Plus! 5 mins most and it's all gone..sometimes have to give it a little scrub with a brush....then just thoroughly rinse and dry...sparkling clean!

Last edited:
You can use edible baking powder/bicarb of soda and warm water to clean off wee/poo stains. It absorbs nasty smells and does not give any smell. Also its not a chemical so is safe for buns.

Its also great for stainless stell, pots, pans, woks, bathroom tiles, mould and limescale.

You do need to leave it a while with the built up stains. Also, pour quite a lot in (neat), not just a sprayed on coating. I would never ever use harsh cleaners with animals, no matter how horrible the stains.

A small amount of neat vinegar for wee stains/residue, it softens and loosens it and you can scrub off with non scratch scourer. You were asking a bit much from a vinegar solution IMO.

Use diluted vinegar spray for a spray and wipe dry as you would a pet spray.

No - i did it in the bath - the smell was bad enough without boiling it!

It needs to be bubbling hot, I line the litter trays up by the back door and boil it with the back door open then run outside with it quickly. The trick is to not breathe in at the same time!

It doesn't need to be hot if you can leave it quite a long time (a few hours for the really built up stains).

It doesn't need to be hot if you can leave it quite a long time (a few hours for the really built up stains).

Im not that patient :lol: I get completely facinated watching it bubble and the dirt come away. I need to get out more.............:lol:

Eugh I hate the stuff! Smells awful

I just wipe every 3 days with dilute Trigene and I find that they don't really get dirty at all? :?

I'm the same, tried the vinegar thing and it didn't work, unfortunately I live in a flat so can't do it outside.

I use viakal, works wonders. I have to use it for my laminate floor in the bunny room where Poppy has a habit of weeing (although fingers crossed think i've just about come up with a solution to the problem). I thought the floor was ruined but used Viakal after the wonders it worked on the trays and hey presto, my floor is like new.

I realise it's not very animal friendly but needs must, I love my bunnies but don't want them to completely ruin my home. I just make sure I wipe off the residue and then fully wash the floor again (bucket and cloth, I don't do mops) and let it all dry before buns are allowed back in-although this does cause a lot of digging at the door as they hate being locked out their room :lol:

You can use edible baking powder/bicarb of soda and warm water to clean off wee/poo stains. It absorbs nasty smells and does not give any smell. Also its not a chemical so is safe for buns.

Its also great for stainless stell, pots, pans, woks, bathroom tiles, mould and limescale.

this :thumb:

I pour the vinegar in, then pour in boiling water straight from the kettle and leave it for a bit. I like the smell of vinegar though! :D

I get completely facinated watching it bubble and the dirt come away. I need to get out more.............:lol:

Me too, it's brilliant isn't it! I obviously need to get out more too! I use about 50-50 vinegar to boiling water.

Back