• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How often do you change your bunnies litter trays?

Jackaroonie

Mama Doe
both pairs of my bunnies have a 32L underbed storage tray and I put a handful of wood based cat litter in then a couple of cm deep layer of Aubiouse then hay on top, in the winter I change it every other day but in the summer I tend to put in less bedding then change it daily so I don't waste lots :D

Don't know if you can see the aubiose or not :oops: :lol:
P1160595_zpsdd7eba54.jpg

I change mine every other day. They just have a few layers of newspaper then hay on top. I top it up with fresh hay twice a day, then change it every other day, and they get a good ol' scrub and disinfect once a week.

I change mine every other day. They just have a few layers of newspaper then hay on top. I top it up with fresh hay twice a day, then change it every other day, and they get a good ol' scrub and disinfect once a week.

This, virtually word for word!!!

I just use newspaper and hay now. I top up the hay throughout the day, then they get cleaned out completely every morning. When I was using megazorb, I used to take the hay out daily and replace with new, then clean the whole thing out every 3 or 4 days.

everyday with a full muck out and clean down once a week
We change ours twice a day ATM but only coz we have corner litter trays and they dont hold as much poop as you think lol. When Axl and rose are bonded back together after spay we're going to go with the storage box idea - mostly so my composter gets a rest - its full to the brim lol

The trays get changed over everytime we empty as we have about 6 (loads of friends gave us their leftovers lol) - they get quick wipe over with diluted bleach after each use. Because they are on a cycle they get a day to dry out before we use them again

Last edited:
Buster and Thumper have two corner litter trays and they have wood pellet litter in the bottom and a thin layer of hay on top. The first thing mine do is pull all the hay out on to the floor!! Buster needs his changing daily, thumper every other day. I wash and disinfect them both every other day x

not as much as all of you lot:lol: I hate wasting litter so would never clean them out unless they are full/it's so hot and its attracting flies, and have never ever had to clean any of mine out daily, so mine get done every 5-7 days depending on how full they are, but because Alfie and Roo are still adapting to their new underbed-storage crate as a litter tray, I have some hay in there to tempt them to use it a bit better:p Dee doesn't have any hay in her tray as hers is a corner tray!

The Frenchies NEED cleaning every day. Don't know how they poop so much!

Conrad and Clover don't produce quite as much and I'll do it every other day, or every 2 days depending on usage how much megazorb I chucked in when I changed it!

All ours get done every second day, they are newspaper based with hay on top. I don't like the thought of the buns sitting on poo and wee hence the regular change. Once a week they get a scrub with warm water and baking powder too.

Mine have a massive underbed storage box. For Archie whose single I do it every 5-7 days but top up the hay daily (I can't justify throwing away clean litter at the moment!). In the summer I use less but do it more.

For the trio every 4days I'd say.

In the summer we change the trays twice a day but in winter only once a day. I don't think we could get away with doing it less.

We have around 15 different trays so just swop dirty ones for clean ones then clean out all the dirty ones at the end of the week.

Mine have a massive underbed storage box. For Archie whose single I do it every 5-7 days but top up the hay daily (I can't justify throwing away clean litter at the moment!). In the summer I use less but do it more.

For the trio every 4days I'd say.
This. Radish and waffle are both single so only need doing once or twice a week.

Every couple of days.....or if Marnie does a hideously stinky wee and I can smell it in the kitchen *vom* They're on newspaper megazorb and hay :wave:

Every day, but I don't use litter just newspaper. I do throw out quite a bit of hay but never mind, Ludo won't eat it unless it's fresh that day so every day anything he doesn't eat gets used as litter.

Pud has a cat litter tray (he's teeny!) which we line with newspaper and top with Carefresh. It gets changed every other day. I'd like to try Megazorb because I've heard it's cheaper but for now the un-neutered house bun can stick with whatever it takes to stop wee smells :lol:

Back