• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone else lost young buns?

Rufus

Mama Doe
I still find it so hard to accept what is happening to me. I feel like I am doomed.
Over the last years I did not have any bunny that lived over one and a half year.
I know of people that keep bunnies in a cage in a shed, the children lost interest, they forget to feed them, they never cuddle the bunny and still they live for many years. I provide the best care, the best food, the best possible housing but I have to watch fate take my dear bunnies away.

I am so very sorry that you are losing your bunnies so young, where do you get them from ? is it the same place because
if it is maybe that is the problem and nothing to do with you at all.

Thinking of you and sending hugs xxxx

A lot of keeping healthy rabbits come down to luck. I always feel sad when buns who have a happy life (like yours) are taken so young when many rabbits spend years on end waiting for death to come as a friend as the have such a miserable life. Life is about quality not quantity. If you can have both then brilliant but quality will ALWAYS come before quantity.

I know what you feel like, I lost Trixie when she was 10 weeks old and Tallulah when she was 17 months old! :cry: oh well, it seems they were needed up in heaven more than they were down here! :love:

It seems strange, doesn't it? I don't have an answer, but agree with Milo+Fizz - quality over quantity. :thumb: Hope that is some comfort to you - your posts always show how well you care for your bunnies and how much you love them.

I lost a young bunny who was under 6 months a few years ago - I had only had him for 3 weeks, he'd been myxi'd but not VHD'd. We think it was VHD although we didn't get a PM done. He wasn't actually dead when I found him in the morning, vet had to help him pass, but it was heartbreaking as he was just a baby :cry: So sorry - it must be hard when its more than one :(

Tuckerbunnies : my buns all come from different places.
If only I was stronger, I would say "no more bunnies for me" but there's is always one bunny on it's own and my heart breaks at the thought of taking it to a rescue?

I gave up on hamsters, Lucy lived for 5 months, Lana for 4, it's too sad. When I was very young I had two hamsters, one lived for two years and 2 months, the next one two years and 4 months. What I think is that pets are so popular now that they are bred endlessly.

I hope you don't give up on bunnies. Perhaps you have just been really unlucky, it really seems the most likely 'answer' although not a very satisfying one for you. Bunnies do hide pain and discomfort as part of their instinctive behaviour, so it is really difficult to spot anything coming on.

I hope you don't give up on bunnies. Perhaps you have just been really unlucky,

I know, very unlucky and everytime I hope next time I will be lucky for once.

When I lost the hammies, people used to say (you know how people are:roll:) "o but they don't live long you know" Yes, I'm aware of that, but 4 months....

Well, I will never win the lottery, but at least can I have long living bunnies for once?

Back