• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I've made a difficult decision

Rach210

Alpha Buck
I know Misty and Muffin aren't getting everything they need. This is mostly due to our financial problems. When I adopted them both I planned to have them spayed/neutered and living in a 6x2ft hutch with attached run, and eventually get a shed.

We can't afford spays/neuters, and at the moment I can't find money for vaccinations either, as everyday expenses and bills are a struggle. Muffin is stuck in the 4ft 'spare' hutch which was only ever supposed to be a temporary solution, and the one run I have is pretty much useless as the garden turns into a swamp whenever it rains. I feel so guilty thinking about them. I can't see our situation improving enough to give them a better life for the foreseeable future and I really think they'd get a better life with someone else. It's something I've thought long and hard about.

I do love my bunnies and feel like a horrible person for wanting to part with them. I always thought a pet was for life and I would never rehome, but I don't think it would be fair on my buns to keep them when I'm struggling to look after them. My mum told be yesterday that I should be ashamed of myself for wanting to rehome, but I talked it over with a good friend who also owns rabbits and she agrees that I'd be better rehoming if I can't give them what they need.

I've contacted a rescue but I feel bad at the thought of putting further pressure on rescues.

I know Misty and Muffin aren't getting everything they need. This is mostly due to our financial problems. When I adopted them both I planned to have them spayed/neutered and living in a 6x2ft hutch with attached run, and eventually get a shed.

We can't afford spays/neuters, and at the moment I can't find money for vaccinations either, as everyday expenses and bills are a struggle. Muffin is stuck in the 4ft 'spare' hutch which was only ever supposed to be a temporary solution, and the one run I have is pretty much useless as the garden turns into a swamp whenever it rains. I feel so guilty thinking about them. I can't see our situation improving enough to give them a better life for the foreseeable future and I really think they'd get a better life with someone else. It's something I've thought long and hard about.

I do love my bunnies and feel like a horrible person for wanting to part with them. I always thought a pet was for life and I would never rehome, but I don't think it would be fair on my buns to keep them when I'm struggling to look after them. My mum told be yesterday that I should be ashamed of myself for wanting to rehome, but I talked it over with a good friend who also owns rabbits and she agrees that I'd be better rehoming if I can't give them what they need.

I've contacted a rescue but I feel bad at the thought of putting further pressure on rescues.

I think you have made an incredibly brave decision, you are putting their needs ahead of yours. I know you must be feeling awful, and I don't think comments like what your mum said help. I really hope they manage to find a great new home. Big hugs x

Aww so sad, sometimes these things can't be helped :cry:

You're doing the best thing for the rabbits despite how hard it is for you, and that's what matters :love:

Thank you Gemmapookie and Sally. I was half expecting to be told I was a horrible person who didn't deserve to be allowed near a rabbit!

I'm advertising them for rehoming myself as the rescue nearby is full, but I will be very careful about what sort of home they go to.

I wish I'd found this site before I got them, then I would have done things properly.

It would be better for you to find a rescue who will take them and get them neutered and vacs, rahter than passing them on again to someone who may find themselves in the same position as you, or even use them for breeding
Can you at least get one neutered before homing ?

Honeybunny I wish I could, but I'm having enough trouble stretching our income to cover all our outgoings as it is. If I was able to find money for neuters and vaccs I would do so.

The nearest rescue to me is full but there are a couple of others I will try.

Honeybunny I wish I could, but I'm having enough trouble stretching our income to cover all our outgoings as it is. If I was able to find money for neuters and vaccs I would do so.

The nearest rescue to me is full but there are a couple of others I will try.

Sorry you've had to make this decision :( Please ensure any rescue you consider neuter, vaccs & homecheck :thumb: Many don't :(

Oh this is such a shame, I couldn't imagine feeling this way but you are doing the right thing :(

Hopefully you will find them new homes x

That's so sad... I really feel for you, but you are definitely making the right decision if you're struggling to give them what they need. It's so brave of you.

Just wanted to check whether you're aware that York RSPCA offer a subsidised vet's clinic and free neutering vouchers. They've got a website here - http://www.rspca-yorkhome.org.uk/clinic.php - and you can contact them on 01904 654949. It doesn't look like they do vaccinations, but it might be a way to at least get your rabbits neutered.

Thinking of you and I think you're great for putting your rabbits first.

A rescue have said they are likely to be able to take them in a few weeks so that is what I will do unless I find a good home in the meantime.

Alexander - I think you have to be receiving benefits to get neutering vouchers? Neither me or my OH are. We both work hard but circumstances over the past few months have caused us to be having difficulty making ends meet and it will take a while to get back on our feet.

IF you're entitled to benefits you would also be able to apply to the Blue Cross Neuter Grant scheme, which will give you a contribution towards neutering, and you can use it alongside any other grants you get from any other charities too, so if you can get a voucher from the RSPCA you can also have the Blue Cross contribution.
You would need to ring the Head Office in Burford and ask to speak to Katie Fitzgibbon.

If you can get them neutered before rehoming not only would it be better for the rabbits, but could give you peace of mind too.

Sorry - posted after your post about benefits....

Last edited:
Oh I am so so sorry you've had to take this decision but under the circumstances, understandable.

Its never an easy decision so I hope the Rescue can help out..

All the very very best and dont think you're letting them dowm. you're going about things the right way rather than abandoning them

Love
Fee xxx

Yes, I think you do need to be on benefits. That's a shame. Most good rescues will neuter before rehoming though.

I hope they find a lovely home.

i'm sorry you are in this position. well done for taking action. bunnies don't come with a financial-health warning, but they really ought!

One of the rescues I approached replied today with a rather snotty email about the rabbit welfare crisis. I understand that they are probably worried about the number of unwanted rabbits but it's not really what I want to hear right now!

One of the rescues I approached replied today with a rather snotty email about the rabbit welfare crisis. I understand that they are probably worried about the number of unwanted rabbits but it's not really what I want to hear right now!

I think most rescues are full to bursting at the moment. Have you found one to take your buns?

Rachel :( I know how awful this is for you and I know how hard you're finding it. You've done so well up until now and as we've spoken about, I think you are doing the right thing for you and the buns.

If any rescue can take them on RU, I'm happy to make a donation on Rachel's behalf to help out :)

Back