• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Marzipan accidentally given vaccination 6 months early. Does it matter?

Nahatalie

Young Bun
Hi, just wondering...

I got a letter from the vets saying my rabbits' vaccination were due. Not thinking twice about it, I booked an appointment and took them this evening. Marzipan was given her booster, only for the vet to look suprised as she stuck the batch code sticker into her record. She turned to me and said they don't beed to be done for another 6 months. I know I should have checked myself, but you assume a letter from the vets is trustworthy! And they'd been in for other things during the year and I couldnt remember whether it was for health or vaccine etc. I didnt even think to check the record myself for some reason. Anyway, the vet should have checked before she injected my rabbit. So, I am a kittle worried she might have a reaction to a premature booster (shes fine so far). And now the 2 rabbits are out of sync! Will have to make 2 trips to the vets a year because they now need vaccinating at different times! Gah...wish people would do their jobs properly...

Which type of vaccination was it? The dual vaccination?

Assuming she was healthy to begin with I can't imagine it would cause any problems at all.

Should be fine, I assume it was the new combi vaccine she was given? That only needs to be given once a year. The single myxo ones are to be given every 6 months.

I used to get Herbie & Inca vaccinated every 6months with the old single vaccines, then I got them done with the new dual one 6 months after their last single ones.

In bad mxy areas the single mxy vaccs was every 6 months anyway as Kermit said so she should be fine

Part of the testing requirements for vaccines include an accidental double vaccination so she should be fine. If it was the new combo vaccine this was definitely done and there were no ill effects.

Back