• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

please can I have some vibes for Rupert

Rupert & Tia

Mama Doe
He's at the vets being syringe fed and monitored..Tia couldn't stay. she's searching for him she looks so lonely and lost.

He was fine at 7... I gave them fresh hay (New bag of ings but its far from the usual quality) ..... 20 mins later took himself off lying down.....

Took him to vets... she can feel a blockage... so she's kept him in. She thinks it could be hay / fur.... because it happened so quick and because the hay is so dry.

If he doesn't poo they're going to do an ultra sound scan.

If it was anything sinister he'd have shown symptoms before now wouldn't he???

Please please please let him be ok. he's my life

Thanks ruby dunno what id do without you.

I can't lose him I just cant.

It has to b that hay. I was only just saying its awful. its like straw.

Loads a vibes for rupert , my bunny got took in a week ago stopped eating pooing moving no gut sounds at all , they kept him in 5 days and fed him hourly he didn't start eating himself till day 4 so keep positive he's in the best place to get him moving , but why couldn't his partner stay with him my bunnys partner was with him for the 5 days :) get well rupert fella :love:

Fiver can't eat things like oat hay, which is very dense and straw like. He blows up like a balloon within an hour of ingestion and then it's all sub q's and buprenorphine till he shifts it. :(
Needless to say it's been all timothy and third cut ever since. Although if it's just a bad batch there's not much you can do about it. :(
Megavibes for Rupert!

Thank you. he's had gas before but never a blockage. I rang at 1130 last night and he'd not pooped :-(
I rang at 630 but the vet is operating on someone so they're going to ring me back.

Going down to Tia now I checked her through night and she'd eaten her herbs and put her pellets where Rupert lies :-( if he can't come home today they're going to have to let Tia stay with him she's going to b in a worse state at this rate :-(

Just want him home and being naughty again :-(

Thank you everyone it means so much to me...

Tia is better today she's ate hay pellets and herbs and pooed everywhere bless her. She ssearched garden for him its awful to see :( she managed a binky for me tho n nudged John :) I've still put 2 bowls food down keep normal as poss.

Vet called. Rupert has started eating, has some gut noise and his blockage has softened and moved she confident he will start pooing and as soon as he does he can come home. She said she doesn't think its anything nasty cos its moved but she was concerned that he'd recently had bloat (beginning of Dec) - but I'm confident that was the swede that did that. His gas has gone down too. Hopefully he'll poo by mid morning And I can go get him. God I miss him so much! Fingers crossed he poos soon... Its been 12 hrs!!!!! There'll be loads!!!!! She said to complain to hay company and I sure will! I need to find more hay now... Tempted to go p&h and get his fave apple n carrot

He's stopped eating again... still no poop!!! I asked them to check his ear, because he was scratching it yesterday but they said to check it properly they have to sedate him and xray it??

Should I be panicking here? No poops for 15 hours now! If its a hay blockage (he hasn't eaten the same amount of hay as normal since the new bag of ings) how long should it take to pass? will it just get smalled then come out? What happens if it doesn't?

Am I able to demand they scan him?

Am I able to take him from emergency vets to my normal vets?

I'm scared again, I felt so much more positive this morning after the first vet phone call, now I feel really worried again :(

He's stopped eating again... still no poop!!! I asked them to check his ear, because he was scratching it yesterday but they said to check it properly they have to sedate him and xray it??

Should I be panicking here? No poops for 15 hours now! If its a hay blockage (he hasn't eaten the same amount of hay as normal since the new bag of ings) how long should it take to pass? will it just get smalled then come out? What happens if it doesn't?

Am I able to demand they scan him?

Am I able to take him from emergency vets to my normal vets?

I'm scared again, I felt so much more positive this morning after the first vet phone call, now I feel really worried again :(

If it's a true blockage that doesn't shift on its own then surgery can be used to remove it. This is an absolute last resort but usually things become critical pretty quickly if this is needed, often with meds and monitoring things move on their own. One of my bunnies, Elijah needed such surgery about 4 months ago.

Yes, you can have him transferred/take him to your usual vets if you think this is in his interest. If you have a very rabbit savvy vet at you normal practice (who is around at the moment) I would definitely seriously consider this, if you think there is more rabbit savviness there than where he's being cared for at the moment, given that he may need more experienced care if he doesn't improve within the next few hours.

Re: demanding they scan him - has he had an abdominal x-ray? (this can be done consciously without sedation). I would really expect that to have been done/be planned very soon given your latest news.

Edit to add: Having just read your two most recent posts, if they are they still saying they feel the blockage has moved/softened and they are confident of recovery or have they changed from what they said earlier? If that still stands then the lack of poo is purely down to lack of food (it may take a while, even when being syringe fed) for poos to recommence.

Sending vibes.

Last edited:
If it's a true blockage that doesn't shift on its own then surgery can be used to remove it. This is an absolute last resort but usually things become critical pretty quickly if this is needed, often with meds and monitoring things move on their own. One of my bunnies, Elijah needed such surgery about 4 months ago.

Yes, you can have him transferred/take him to your usual vets if you think this is in his interest. If you have a very rabbit savvy vet at you normal practice (who is around at the moment) I would definitely seriously consider this, if you think there is more rabbit savviness there than where he's being cared for at the moment, given that he may need more experienced care if he doesn't improve within the next few hours.

Re: demanding they scan him - has he had an abdominal x-ray? (this can be done consciously without sedation). I would really expect that to have been done/be planned very soon given your latest news.

Sending vibes.

Thank you - did your bunny recover from this?

Well, I've just looked up the vets he's at, and they are a referral vet, so my vet would probably send him there anyway (where he is now is my vets emergency service).

They've not xrayed him or anything - I'm going to ring at 12 and demand they xray or scan him, they have to do something, they're syringe feeding him - but if he's blocked, he's gonna pop! I need to tell them he wont poo if he's not got a hay pile (he literally wont do it). I'm concerned as he's on a cat ward, and he seriously seriously is terrified of cats, poor little man, I just want to cuddle him and make him better xx

Thank you - did your bunny recover from this?

Well, I've just looked up the vets he's at, and they are a referral vet, so my vet would probably send him there anyway (where he is now is my vets emergency service).

They've not xrayed him or anything - I'm going to ring at 12 and demand they xray or scan him, they have to do something, they're syringe feeding him - but if he's blocked, he's gonna pop! I need to tell them he wont poo if he's not got a hay pile (he literally wont do it). I'm concerned as he's on a cat ward, and he seriously seriously is terrified of cats, poor little man, I just want to cuddle him and make him better xx

If they are confident that the blockage (probably 'obstruction' would be better term now if its not strictly blocking anything) is on the move then syringe feeding is *probably* appropriate as he hasn't eaten otherwise. *Maybe* they've not x-rayed because they are confident things are shifting. If he is a lot brighter in himself and not in obvious pain then they may well be confident that he is recovering, as long as he gets the appropriate care to aid shifting the obstruction along.

Yes, Elijah did recover. It's a very high risk operation as when it becomes necessary they are already under extreme stress. He was at the vets for about 20 hours before surgery became necessary. He had been syringe fed in the meantime because he'd gone so long without food, but at that time it wasn't obvious it was a full blockage as it had changed since his previous x-ray.

If they are confident that the blockage (probably 'obstruction' would be better term now if its not strictly blocking anything) is on the move then syringe feeding is *probably* appropriate as he hasn't eaten otherwise. *Maybe* they've not x-rayed because they are confident things are shifting. If he is a lot brighter in himself and not in obvious pain then they may well be confident that he is recovering, as long as he gets the appropriate care to aid shifting the obstruction along.

Yes, Elijah did recover. It's a very high risk operation as when it becomes necessary they are already under extreme stress. He was at the vets for about 20 hours before surgery became necessary. He had been syringe fed in the meantime because he'd gone so long without food, but at that time it wasn't obvious it was a full blockage as it had changed since his previous x-ray.

Thank you - they said he seems quite bright - but they said that last night and he wasn't - but I suppose what they mean is he's quite bright compared to what they've seen, but for Rupert, he's far from being 'bright' (if that makes sense).

The night vet i spoke to this morning (who we seen last night) said she admitted him because his last bloat was only in december (but im sure that was because of the swede) which is why she was worried about the 'obstruction' last night - but she did say it has softened this morning and had moved, albeit slightly. Hes now been there 15 hours (so 16 since he last pooed) but the vet did say he'd not eaten enough for him to be pooing, I know what he means because when tia stopped eating, she didn't poo for 2 days, becasue she'd not eaten enought to poo (if that makes sense) but he is not allowed home til he's pooed.

I'm sure that if it was sinister (the obstruction) he'd be showing signs before last night, a tumour doesn't grow that big within half an hour, surely. anyway, it wouldn't move would it.

I've never had a pet this poorly before, never had a pet in 'hospital' before, its horrible, i dont know how all those ppl who do it regularly cope.

ETA: Just seen your edit above, the day vet i spoke to last time said it had moved slightly so they were hoping the syringe feeding / gut stimulants would move it on some more

All of that sounds quite positive from the experience I've had. I've had a few with blockage/obstruction that's moved on its own, well, with medicine and TLC rather than surgery. Elijah has had about 10 admissions for food refusal/bellyache/bloat type problems, this is the first time it's been so serious. Although he needed surgery it was quite reassuring that when they got to open him up they didn't find anything sinister, so we don't know why it keeps happening, well, the only explanation is that he eats his own hard poops and that is what had got stuck in his small intestine.

are they giving fluid therapy too ? iv or sub cutaneous as well as oral

lactulose may also be useful. it is an osomotic laxative that draws fluid into the impacted matter making it softer and easier to break down

sending more vibes for rupert

Back