• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying Age Behavioral Question

Snowytoshi

Mama Doe
This question doesn't pertain to my rabbits, it's just a question about something I read on here. I was browsing through a thread (quite a long one, so I'm not sure if I could find the post again) and someone mentioned that spaying rabbits before five months can cause behavioral problems? I knew of the health risk and I wasn't intending to ever spay a rabbit before that age anyway, I'd just like to know if this is true and where the poster (don't know who they were) found that info. It's always good to have extra information lying around when I answer questions on forums or do education sessions :lol:

gosh don't say that i had my doe spayed at 16 weeks! what were the behaviour problems?

The post mentioned aggression, though I am not sure how those two things would be related, so I wouldn't get too worried. I hope someone can shed some light on it...

Last edited:
I don't know, I didn't think they were like dogs and cats (not that I know anything about cats and dogs neutering ages! our cat was spayed when she was about 10 months old, I'm nit sure how old she was when we had her.) Once you get rid of the uterus or testicles the need to breed goes and they calm down.

I had my youngest girl spayed at just under 6 months old. She's always had an attitude though :lol: spaying calmed her down but she's still a nightmare :lol:

There are pros and cons to both. The way I understand it is that spaying a doe at 16 weeks means that the womb is smaller, meaning the procedure needs a more confident/experienced vet. There is also less fat around the area, which is good, although I can't remember why. It also means that litters can be kept together (great for rescues for space reasons) as all sexes can be neutered together at 16 weeks. This means that the rabbit does not have to live alone at any stage in its life, and can also be bonded as a baby (either to another rabbit or just kept with their littermate) without going through the stresses of puberty which can lead to bonds breaking down before normal neutering age (6 months). It also means that any hormonal behaviours are not around for any real length of time, and so do not become habit. Animals also seem to have shorter recovery times if neutered young.

Like I said though, it needs a more confident/experienced vet, not all will do it at 16 weeks.

I believe the post you read was by Jack's Jane, who posted on a thread that her vet had expressed a concern for neutering young, and had theorised that it could possibly lead to aggressive traits. Jack's Jane (or her vet) would probably be a good person to ask about that, as I don't remember the details.

Back