• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

releasing wild rabbits

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
Am I right in thinking that if the bun has been away from the warren for months they won't be accepted back? Nor would they be accepted into another warren?

thanks! :D

absolutely correct.

I know wildlife rehabilitators release buns into the wild in 'safe' areas - but they dont do it back in the area the bun was in before as it will not be allowed back and stands very little chance on its own.

I'd think they'd get a group of orphaned/rehabilitated wildies, put them in a pen and slowly release them so they establish their own warren :) I've seen it on tv with other animals :thumb:

I'd think they'd get a group of orphaned/rehabilitated wildies, put them in a pen and slowly release them so they establish their own warren :) I've seen it on tv with other animals :thumb:

exactly.

Did you decide what to do about the wildie? They really dont do well in hutched/rescue situations.

PM me (or email if you have it) as am interested but for various reasons not coming on here much.

Thanks guys that's good to know, its been playing on my mind what j would so if I found a wildie.
Will make sure I know of local wildlife rehab places too :thumb:

exactly.

Did you decide what to do about the wildie? They really dont do well in hutched/rescue situations.

PM me (or email if you have it) as am interested but for various reasons not coming on here much.

Wildie isn't mine, I met a lady who rescued the wee one (she was lying on a track paralised but has regained all movement) she asked me if it was fair to keep her as a pet or if she should release her. I said I didn't think she could release her but I need to go slowly with the lady. Will pm you

My first rabbit was a wildie, called Benji. He was not a cuddly bunny but lived in a big run with 2 dwarf lop girls ( he was neutered) and was with me for 9 years until he passed away.
We now have Sparrow, who is flighty but less so than Benji and she seems quite happy, she will be spayed soon ( too small until recently) and hopefully bonded with one of the Aberdeen rescue boys!

I do not think its fair to release a single wildie.
Yes, soft release with other wildies is fair enough but I don't think a single would stand much chance.

I'm going to have a look for some wildlife places (thanks for the suggestion Twigs!) who may have a group for her to join. I have offered to take the bun but if she could be with rabbits like her then that'd be best :)

I'm going to have a look for some wildlife places (thanks for the suggestion Twigs!) who may have a group for her to join. I have offered to take the bun but if she could be with rabbits like her then that'd be best :)

so you found a wildie?
Pics please? What's her story?
How's immy? xxxx

No not me, the lady who runs the fox sanctuary :wave: no photos and I don't know her name but she was a tiny dot of a bunny :love: as I said on the other page she was found paralised on a track but has regained all movement in her legs :thumb:

and Immy is great thankyou :D shes put a little more weight on :thumb:

Back