• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A Rainbow Rabbit Update

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Not sure if anyone noticed ;) but I have not been around for awhile. Both Steve and I were really ill over Christmas and the new year and in all honesty I still feel really run down and tired. The upset of losing most of our lounge bunnies over Christmas has also contributed to our exhaustion and tbh I don't know if i will ever truly recover from the grief :(

When I have been able to get online I have found it easier to use fb than ru as I can do it on my phone while in bed! plus I only have to go to my own fb group rather than reading lots of different threads.

Firstly let me start with an apology to anyone who has messaged me either here on fb or by email over the past month or so. I am only now starting to work through them. Also to those of you who sponsored Dave or Trevor, I will be in touch with you soon, but at the moment I still can't deal with it. We have now sadly decided to end our rabbit sponsorship scheme as I just can't cope with it :(

So now lets have some good news:D

Norman Nibbleton is loving being a lounge bunny with Bobbi and its lovely to see him doing such happy flops :love:

Errol Brown, the young rabbit we took on with the intention of rehoming, is staying:oops: While here he fell in love with our lonely Biro through the mesh. So once he had been castrated etc we bonded them a few weeks back. It was the easiest bond ever, so we now have a very happy couple :love:

Sir Neo Hootenanny, the bunny that arrived over new year with a badly broken thigh, is doing so well:D He is now on metacam and is running around like a looney. He is a complete monster and is now nicknamed Hooligan :lol: Can't wait until he is castrated and a little more settled! It is highly likely he will need an amputaion later in life but for now he is able to use the leg to a point and as our vet says a bunny will always do better on 4 legs than 3

Cinderella and in particular Prince Charming, the young rabbits who arrived here very underweight have now grown a lot. Prince has put on 650g in just a few weeks, a third of his body weight! he is going in to be neutered tomorrow.

Now the not so good news

Bunita Sunshine, one of the Telford rescue, had her incisors removed at the begining of the month and is still really struggling. Her gums are not healing and are still very inflammed, its very strange.

Her companion Victoria Twinkle Toes is still battling her upper respiratory infection, nothing seems to be working but at least she is still well in herself.

Hermione, the emaciated bunny who arrived just before Christmas, recovered well from her dental, however she still has not put on any weight at all despite getting constant meals:( Bloods came back clear so we are now trying a course of panacur. If that doesn't work i think we are looking at cancer somewhere.

Our big Frenchie Alfred the Great had a massive seizure earlier this week. Its the first one we have been aware of, so he is also now on a course of panacur:(

I think they are the main things that have happened. We have a new little bunny Beetroot arriving at the weekend. Our friends at RSPCA Walsall rescued her for us at the end of last week and kindly got her an emergency dental on Monday. So we are just waiting for her to recover from the GA so she can travel to us. It sounds like she has a lot of issues going on bless her.

As I said at the start I am still really tired so still not able to keep up with everything, but I will try and post a few photo threads later as we have some beautiful photos we would like to share x

Lovely to hear the update on all the bunnies. So sorry you had such a bad time over Christmas and lost some special friends.

I've missed you and noticed you hadn't been around. I hope you booth feel better soon.

Looking forward to seeing pictures. Xx

You've really has an awful time, but it's good to see some positive news, and of course my continuing sympathy with all the heartache you are dealing with.

Spenser wonders if Norman Nibbleton has any advice on how Spenser might make better use of his occasional visits to our lounge. ;)

Sorry you weren't well over Christmas and are still not back to normal. Hope you start to feel better soon (some sunshine would help and LESS rain). You do a wonderful "job" for the bunnies.

Lovely to see you around again - sending you lots of strength and energy, I don't know how you do what you do :love:

I am sorry its been so hard for you and such a terrible blow losing Dave, Herman and Trevor. They will be greatly missed.

Good to hear there is some positive news. You do a wonderful job helping so many bunnies it must be heartbreaking every time you lose one. I don't know how you manage.

Hope that you and Steve will feel better and happier soon.

Thanks for the replies. It took me an hour to write the first post so don't think I will be around that much just yet!

I am going through another phase of wondering just how long we can carry on doing this. But I don't want to make decision while I am still feeling so tired and down. We have not had a day off since we started over 5 years ago. Every single litter tray we have cleaned ourselves, we have no help at all. So when we are ill and really need a week in bed we still have to drag ourselves up and get bunnies sorted, which it probably why it is taking so long to feel better x

So pleased to see you on here again - was thinking of you just the other day. But sorry things aren't so great as well - but glad for the good news as well.

I do feel for you - it's not like you can just have a break is it? And 5 years is such a long time. I really admire what you do...it's incredible and you have helped so many lovely bunnies. I hope you do continue on - but it's totally understandable if you feel that you cannot.

Hope you feel better and more up to it all soon.

wonderful to hear all your news...you certainly do an angels work load and more..no wonder youre exhausted. Would there possible be some way you could get a volunteer to help you once a week maybe?
So very sorry to hear about your losses over christmas..its so very heart breaking...Im sending healing vibes your way xxx
Hoping you get better soon and this year turns out to be a great one for you! :love::wave:

I am aware that whatever I say seems to be the wrong thing these days Liz but I really do think you should think about taking on a volunteer, maybe just once a week, to help with the workload and take the pressure off a bit. Nobody can do what you do day in and day out without a break. Most rescues have volunteers to help from time to time. There are lots of people around in the local area I am sure who would be willing to help out, maybe even someone just to manage the website/photos/paperwork side of things too, every little helps.

I'm not sure why you think that, but my brain is barely functioning nowadays so maybe I have missed something??

The problems with volunteers is that having people at the house wears me out a lot so I end up having to rest more to recover! Plus there would be things like insurance etc to sort out. But yeah sometimes I feel like I will explode or collapse in a heap if I don't get a day off, not sure which!

Liz, I am so glad to see you posting again! (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
I know you've had such a hard time lately. I was just thinking of Trevor as I looked at my calendars...then Dave and the lounge buns. I'm sorry to hear you've had more bunnies having such dire troubles. :(
And yet there are the moments that still bring a happy update. :) I'm glad of that.
I can imagine your exhaustion. I wish there were some way I could help. The frustration of being an American on a UK forum. :oops:
It's amazing work you do. So many bunnies you've helped. You should be proud of all you've done. I wish there were some way to be able to give you some much deserved rest for all you do.
I'm off to view your photo threads. I know they'll be beautiful. :)
Thinking of you and sending you comfort and strengthening vibes. xx

Nice to have you back and our thoughts have been with you. You have had far too much to deal with and understand you not being around but don't forget you have a a lot of friends on here who support you and love you for all you do... You are truly inspiring and caring people xxx

:love: Liz, you and Steve do an amazing job and we would be absolutely lost without you. Beetroot is waiting patiently, i will contact you tomorrow to arrange times for Sunday xx

Back