• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescues- Dont Give Up

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
What you all do IS worth it. Every single Rabbit that you rehome is a Rabbit you have saved. Those who remain with you for longer than you had hoped are Rabbits who may otherwise be shut in a tiny hutch with no decent food or clean bedding. Some may have had health problems that their previous owners failed to obtain Veterinary treatment for, or maybe the owners never even noticed the Rabbit was ill/injured. With you the Rabbits are safe, well fed and comfortable. They will receive Veterinary treatment if needed, often funded from your own pocket.

Rescue will never be free from upset, frustration, disappointment and no doubt utter :censored: rage at times !! BUT try to remember all those lives you have saved, all those Rabbits who are now in happy forever homes. Without you they may not even be alive.

At times I am sure that many of you probably feel like throwing in the towel. I for one would not be able to maintain the amount of emotional and financial input Rescue involves. I would also be up on a Murder Charge within a week of having to deal with some of the people Rescues encounter !!

For those of you who may be questioning if it is all worth it, look into the eyes of your current Rescues, you will find your answer there.....................

I got Herbie & Inca from a rescue. They were both saved from bad situations by Bunnyhops & BARC.

Inca needs so much special care. I often think how hard it would be caring for even a few more like her.

Rescues are worth their weight in gold, then some!

Couldn't agree more. How rescues continue to do what they do is a mystery to me...I would be a total wreck if I were to do it. But those bunnies need your help...please don't give up:thumb:

Just wanted to offer a bit of support and encouragement as I know that some folk involved in Rescue are feeling somewhat despondent at the moment.

A nice, thoughtful post Jane. Thank you
A few will know I have been so fed up lately by the returns ( we have another coming back today :cry:), strays, badly looked after breeder bunnies and guineas, and then people who we thought supported rescues buying baby animals. It does get so frustrating
I am not alone in my frustration, I just post it.
We rescues do speak to each other on other internet places, the phone and sometimes face to face, and I can say all I know feel the same. Two others have strongly considered giving up after years of trying to help, many have suffered periods of depression due to the emotional stress.
and before it is pointed out, yes we choose to do this, but once helping animals it is so hard to pull out :cry:
We choose to rescue, and we know it is personal choice for people to choose to buy pets, but what is forgotten when people, bring up the old "my choice" chestnut, is in this business the ones who have no choice and often pay the highest price, are the animals.
We keep going for them, not for ourselves ( if you knew how I long to have a proper holiday, more than 2 nights away and only that as we have to take our elderly parents for a break).
Jane is right, as hard as it is, you look at the latest animal to arrive and think " if i had given up last week where would you be? " so we keep going. We are not extra special, we have just found ourselves in the postion of being able to help, and once there cannot find it in our hearts to turn away.
We are not horrible when we criticise those aware of rescue animals plight who then buy, we are just frustrated and saddened.
At present I will not be giving up, as for the other two people I've spoken with , they may well do, and what a loss that will be :cry:

Last edited:
The situation with Cats and Dogs is dire too :cry:
One woman bred her Staffie who had 11 pups. She sold 6 but could not 'get rid' of the rest. She expected a local Rescue to just take them and she got well miffed at being told the Rescue would only help if they also got the mother spayed. The woman reluctantly agreed, but whats the betting she'll buy another b1tch off the Freeads to continue her nice little earner.

Then Dog Rescues are having to PTS young healthy dogs EVERY day :cry:

It's probably the worst time of year, exacerbated by a recession. Animals are being dumped daily because people do not want to afford them, on top of that the Christmas backlash is starting to hit.

Certainly, in Britain, it's reckoned that one dog is PTS every 80 minutes, it's probably less now- so a dog is PTS during your lunch break. Half of those are Staffies. Cats aren't much better and I would guess rabbits aren't far behind.

Great post. :thumb: Rescues do a brilliant job, and we should all do our best to support them. I haven't been in a shop that sells animals for about 2 years. Doesn't stop friends occasionally telling me about the bunnies they see though. :roll:

It's probably the worst time of year, exacerbated by a recession. Animals are being dumped daily because people do not want to afford them, on top of that the Christmas backlash is starting to hit.

Certainly, in Britain, it's reckoned that one dog is PTS every 80 minutes, it's probably less now- so a dog is PTS during your lunch break. Half of those are Staffies. Cats aren't much better and I would guess rabbits aren't far behind.

I was listening to something about the situation regarding rehoming of Horses. Apparently the dire economic climate has meant many Horses are being abandoned and/or left with untreated injuries :cry:

What will happen when there is just no more room anywhere for all the unwanted animals

Then take one look at the Classified ads and people are churning out Puppies/kittens/Rabbits left right and centre :cry:

:cry:

I was listening to something about the situation regarding rehoming of Horses. Apparently the dire economic climate has meant many Horses are being abandoned and/or left with untreated injuries :cry:

What will happen when there is just no more room anywhere for all the unwanted animals

Then take one look at the Classified ads and people are churning out Puppies/kittens/Rabbits left right and centre :cry:

:cry:

We had to turn away a 16 year old Belgian warm blood mare. She was a brood mare and the people basically bought her as a riding horse ( cheap option) but she was dangerous to ride. No surprise when you think she has probably carried numerous foals putting pressure on her back. They could not afford to keep her as a companion, read they wanted to keep a horse that could be ridden. Unless another rescue has taken her in, she'll be dead as that was their remaining option. I can only hope they put her to sleep and didn't sell her to the meat man.
Unfortunately this will become more and more common.:(

We had to turn away a 16 year old Belgian warm blood mare. She was a brood mare and the people basically bought her as a riding horse ( cheap option) but she was dangerous to ride. No surprise when you think she has probably carried numerous foals putting pressure on her back. They could not afford to keep her as a companion, read they wanted to keep a horse that could be ridden. Unless another rescue has taken her in, she'll be dead as that was their remaining option. I can only hope they put her to sleep and didn't sell her to the meat man.
Unfortunately this will become more and more common.:(

Silly question, but are there Horse Rescues- ie that rehome- as well as Horse Sanctuaries ?

Yes, there are quite a few, species specific and ones that take all species.
The problem with horses is that people can sell on rideable ones and very few people want companion horses. They are needed even less now as many people keep horses at livery yard- this makes it expensive to keep a horse as a 'pet' and removes the need of a companion.:(

Silly question, but are there Horse Rescues- ie that rehome- as well as Horse Sanctuaries ?

Not a silly question.

Yes :D The Blue Cross operate a system where you can have a horse/pony on indefinite loan & they do annual check ups. Some are non ridden companions like mine, some are riding ponies.

Other rescues will allow to you adopt so that the animal is actually yours. There is a small horse rescue less than a mile from me who do this.

I suppose all Rescues can do is try to keep going, it may feel as though you are swimming against the tide a lot of the time though :cry:

But if you all gave up trying things would very quickly get MUCH worse. So even if many of you feel that you are fighting a losing battle at the moment perhaps try to also keep in mind the lives you have saved and the animals who now have a home of their own. The over-all Pet over-population problem may not change, not unless legislation is put in place to make it change. But every single individual you take in and find a home for makes a difference. Another voiceless animal given the opportunity of a happy life.

Really good thread Jane :thumb:

For those of you who run rabbit rescues please don't give up. What you do is priceless and although there's a lot of frustration and at times it can be very hard, you do so much good and help so many. Although there are lots of people who don't rescue, there are lots who do and appreciate and understand what you all do and support you in that. Please don't give up - the bunnies need you more than ever

Back