• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flooring for dog crate

Dawn&Leila

Warren Scout
Hello lovelies..

I am back.. I have begun preparing for my next buns.. This time i am getting a pair of course.. I purchased a very big dog crate from ebay and have bought a few essential bits and bobs as i threw out everything after Leila was PTS.

My handy crafty friend is going to help me create wooden lid and base for the crate, for keeping hay and litter better inside and providing a feeling of safety for them with the lid and also it will hopefully blend in more with the furniture as ill paint the lids white. We'll also be adding shelves of course. I will be using a pen too when I'm out or asleep and they cant be free ranging.

I was thinking about rubber matts for the flooring but wondered if you had any other suggestions?

Also when adding shelves ive seen people use dowling to rest the, upon, how do you secure them and what have you lined the shelves with? I would like to put something wipable incase they do urinate on them..

Thanks x

Aww sorry can't help with the crate :/. But just wanted to say your signature is absoultly beautiful brought a lump to my throat xx

I use carpet tiles. Keeps them snug, stops the fleece/them from sliding about and if they do happen to wee it's inexpensive to replace.

I use Vetbed. I find it good as it can be washed if there are any accidents.

We bought a load of pet fleeces from poundland
http://www.poundland.co.uk/images/10060/original/18107-PetPlace-Soft-Fleecey.jpg
As the shop name suggests - only a pound! And we find that two is enough to cover the crate base. We ended up buying 8 as we've separated our buns ATM until neutered so we have 4 being used plus for spare incase of accidents......we change them weekly and they wash up great!

We bought a load of pet fleeces from poundland
http://www.poundland.co.uk/images/10060/original/18107-PetPlace-Soft-Fleecey.jpg
As the shop name suggests - only a pound! And we find that two is enough to cover the crate base. We ended up buying 8 as we've separated our buns ATM until neutered so we have 4 being used plus for spare incase of accidents......we change them weekly and they wash up great!

This is what I use on top of the carpet tiles :thumb:
We have about 20 that are always on rotation between two crates and a guinea pig cage.

This is what I use on top of the carpet tiles :thumb:
We have about 20 that are always on rotation between two crates and a guinea pig cage.

OP - you might want to double check the flooring of your crate first before you buy anything. We bought some cheap poundland lino squares first but they werent any use. One of our crates has a metal base and is completely flat but the other is a metal crate with a plastic base which has these long thick ridges (i assume for grip) and there anything flat and sticky wouldn't sit right if you see what I mean. That's why we went for blankets in the end

Bethepoet - we have blankets galore! All colour coded - 8 for the buns (blue for Axl, yellow for rose) and 6 purple ones for Sox (the cat) that we use to
Cover the arms of the sofa lol

Back