• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are there some breeds of bunny that shouldn't exist??

bunnyconvert

Warren Scout
Don't want to offend any long haired bunny lovers ( I have a lionhead cross myself).

When we went to visit Ginny in the rescue and I discussed my concerns about how much brushing she would need the lady in the bunny section expressed her view that longhaired breeds shouldn't exist as bunnies just aren't designed to have long hair. Knowing what I know about their digestion etc I tend to agree. Not advocating culling or anything but it does seem cruel to breed something into and animal that causes problems.

I have lots of isses with dog breeding as well but just wondered what you bunny lovers felt?

I feel like you do especially as alot of long haired breeds of any animal not just rabbits can end up with owners who do not care for them as they should.

I was in Pets at Hxxx at weekend buying dried leaves for bunny as they are only place selling them and I always torment myself by looking at the bunnies and there was a long haired one in for purchase and it had bald patches on it and very very long hair.
Poor bunny.

It's think it's a reasonably complicated issue.
I don't think it's fair to breed an animal which can't properly groom itself because even if the owner is willing to do it the animal may find it stressful to be groomed. But I don't think it's cruel as such to breed them.
It's sad that contis have such short lifespans but as long as they are otherwise healthy I don't think it's wrong to breed them.
I don't agree with the breeding of english lops at all though. My frenchie's ears touch the ground and it makes me really sad, I couldn't bear to see a rabbit with it's ears trailing along, especially if it lived outside.

any breed which exaggerate features to a detrimental level are 'bad' really...so that includes nethies/mini lops with their squishy faces, ELs with enourmous ears (even though I love them and they're my favourite breed) Giants who are well...too big the list goes on really.

It's think it's a reasonably complicated issue.
I don't think it's fair to breed an animal which can't properly groom itself because even if the owner is willing to do it the animal may find it stressful to be groomed. But I don't think it's cruel as such to breed them.
It's sad that contis have such short lifespans but as long as they are otherwise healthy I don't think it's wrong to breed them.
I don't agree with the breeding of english lops at all though. My frenchie's ears touch the ground and it makes me really sad, I couldn't bear to see a rabbit with it's ears trailing along, especially if it lived outside.

Well you spoke my mind :lol: I don't like the breeding of English lops either, I always feel incredibly sad for them with their ears :(

Most shouldn't exist. Nethies are too small and get teeth issues along with all the other breeds who are more prone to dental issues due to headshape, rexs get poorly feet really easily, long haired rabbits can't always groom themselves, english lops have ears which are far too big...

I feel like you do especially as alot of long haired breeds of any animal not just rabbits can end up with owners who do not care for them as they should.

I was in Pets at Hxxx at weekend buying dried leaves for bunny as they are only place selling them and I always torment myself by looking at the bunnies and there was a long haired one in for purchase and it had bald patches on it and very very long hair.
Poor bunny.

If you are happy with buying online this website sells dried plants ect and are reliable, I've bought from them a few times! Look down to the bottom of the page I've linked.

http://www.chinchillas2shop.co.uk/treats.htm

Actually I've just gone to buy some for myself and they are almost all out of stock :? Apparently fresh stuff due within a month... But im almost out now :(

Last edited:
oh I forgot to say in my last post, I think the breed is less important than the breeding.
What I mean by that is I'd rather have someone breeding an "unhealthy" breed (like nethies) and trying to make them as healthy as possible (ie, improving dental issues) than breeding a "healthy" breed (like dutch) but not caring about health.

I do agree that there are a few breeds that should never have been intentionally bred, but many of these breeds started decades ago, and unfortunately there was little regard for animal welfare especially regarding rabbits. It is sad that some people go out of their way to continue to breed particular types of buns just for profit, with no concern whatsoever for the potential future of the animals they breed. How many of the "general public" would just buy a bun cos it looks cute with long fur or long ears and then realise that they need a lot more time, attention and care? Even Conti's and giants (which are often sold in P@H )are known to have health issues, and probably get taken on by clueless shoppers without any real idea of their accommodation needs..but breeding still goes on :(

There are a few breeds prone to health problems which shouldn't really of been bred in the first place...
Rex - Sore hocks
English Lops - Ear problems
Nethies/Mini Lops - Breathing problems, teeth problems, 'peanut' babies
Angoras/Cashmere Lops - Matting fur
Giants - Joint problems and early deaths

These problems are most common in these breeds but that's not to say that they definitely will get said problem or that any other breed wont get it

The closer in shape, size and fur type to the wild rabbit the better

If you are happy with buying online this website sells dried plants ect and are reliable, I've bought from them a few times! Look down to the bottom of the page I've linked.

http://www.chinchillas2shop.co.uk/treats.htm

Actually I've just gone to buy some for myself and they are almost all out of stock :? Apparently fresh stuff due within a month... But im almost out now :(

Thanks for that link there's some good stuff on there that's bunny friendly :thumb:

English lops are the worst of in my opinion, closely followed by angoras and other excessively long-haired breeds.
My lionhead was fairly good at keeping his fur clean (which was good because he HATED to be groomed...I would rather just cut his fur of than let him go through the trouble:p) but he did have horrible matting when I first got him:(

Also any rabbit that carries the dwarf gene. You can get nethies and polish rabbits who don't have the gene but many show-breeders prefer having it as it makes the rabbits look "better". Unfortunately about half of the babies from a dwarf-dwarf-mating could become peanuts, resulting in an early death:(

For me it's ELs, Angoras/General long-haired breeds and Giants. I have both Mini Lops and a Nethie but I am aware of their classic problems and *touch wood* they have been fine so far, my nethie has never ever had any problems other than a spay-induced stasis/infection and she is nearly six years old, as with my loppies and they're two this year :love:

Any breed that has features that differ from a wild rabbit aren't good to be bred from in my opinion. I don't mind breeds that looks like wildies aside from their colour (Dutches for example) but don't really like to see rabbits with squashed faces, lop ears, long fur etc.
JayJay(lionhead) was always getting food stuck in his beard and Roly (dwarf lop) suffered from blocked tear ducts due to the shape of his head.

Of course the breeds will never be allowed to die out as so many breeders place an emphasis on looks rather than health and there are many people out there that have no problem creating a demand for such animals.

It's something that annoys me so much about people in general. Animals have been surviving in the wild after hundreds of years of fine tuning by mother nature but for some reason we think we know better.

Last edited:
The bunnies with completely flat faces.

Harry's face was so straight you could have used it as a ruler. He was stunningly handsome, but had eye problems all the time and then had to be pts because of a tooth abscess. I swear it was all because of his flat face.

Any Rabbit who's conformation differs in any way from that of an Oryctolagus cuniculus

^^ this.

As cute as they are, seeing ones with super tiny ears, super long ears they're treading on, smooshed faces, such long fur they can't see and need fur constantly brushed and clipped to stop matting, that's just not fair on the poor things really. But humans made them so it's up to us to look after the messes we made, and neuter and spay as much as we can!

English lops :( I feel sorry for them with their long ears. I dont think this breed should have been brought about however the ones that are here should be given the best love and care possible like the lucky ones who have owners on this forum. :love:

Humans want, humans get.

Luckily Rosie is always on top of her fluff. It's only during the spring time where I have to try and catch her to groom her moult.

Back