• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

BRC Ring... should I have it removed?

BettyLu

Alpha Buck
My mini Rex Patrick is BRC rung, none of my other buns have had this, and I just wondered if I should get it removed?
Can it cause harm and how do they remove them? Any advice appreciated! :)

I had Mr B's removed as he is a cashmere and the fur had matted round it. The vets cut it off when he was u set a GA for his neuter.

Yes, definitely get it removed. Probably best to get your Vet to do it as the rings are extremely tough and unless you know what you are doing and have the correct implement to do it a nasty injury could occur.

Personally I wouldn't as it could really come in useful if the rabbit goes missing, most people don't think to scan for a chip but a ring is really obvious. It does need to be checked regularly though incase there's any hay stuck under but it should be fine unless the rabbit is left to get matted or overweight. if you don't want it on the vet should easily be able to remove it though :)

One if my buns had a ring...no idea where she came from though she was given to me by someone who couldn't keep her so they must have originally got her from a breeder. Anyway I had it cut off when she was neutered because at the end of the day if they did check the ring she would have gone back to the breeder or original owner rather than me. Also I was worried it might hurt her and it looked really un comfy!

Yeh I just figured prevention is better than cure.. if I left it and it did start to bother him I'd feel terrible. I know they say they don't hurt or bun won't out grow it but.. hm.

One if my buns had a ring...no idea where she came from though she was given to me by someone who couldn't keep her so they must have originally got her from a breeder. Anyway I had it cut off when she was neutered because at the end of the day if they did check the ring she would have gone back to the breeder or original owner rather than me. Also I was worried it might hurt her and it looked really un comfy!

If something like that did happen and the ring wasn't registered in your name if you ring the BRC as soon as possible after said rabbit went missing and explain, they should tell you if anyones reported the rabbit found or put you in touch with the breeder so that if anyone does get in contact with the BRC when they found the rabbit you'd be notified

But yeah I understand why some people wouldn't want it kept on, I just like to as a precaution really and the rabbits have never had anything stuck under it, and it's even loose on Baby despite the fact my grandmas made her really overweight :roll:

The vet couldn't get it off :(
I don't think he was very rabbit knowledgeable, and Patrick was getting so distressed I told him to stop trying.
He said it isn't too tight at moment but I just want it off. He's the only vet near me, is there anything else I can try??

The vet couldn't get it off :(
I don't think he was very rabbit knowledgeable, and Patrick was getting so distressed I told him to stop trying.
He said it isn't too tight at moment but I just want it off. He's the only vet near me, is there anything else I can try??

My Nancy bunny had a ring on her leg. She was handed into a rescue and they are certain she was used for breeding.

Anyway two vets said they couldn't remove it as she was fully grown and the ring was quite big. They said it was more of a risk of breaking a bone if they tried to cut it off. So it never was. Didn't cause her a problem but I hated the thought of it.

Back