• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dana has pneumonia & stasis U/D not cancer but v poorly

willowflower27

Mama Doe
She's back at vets very poorly at the minute, I am very worried the vet is going to have to sedate her to xray her chest if she won't sit conscious she's very poorly so I hope she cooperates for them (their is the possibility it is something nasty in her chest so xrays are essential)
I am distraught she is my angel and has been a god send since mum passed away

Last edited:
Aww...

For both your sakes I hope it isn't something nasty and that some antibiotics will clear it up.

Wasn't the best news but at least its not cancer she has a chest full of fluid so been started on frusemide and her stomach doesn't empty properly very slow gastric emptying.
She was very good sat conscious so I have her home
How do I get her stomach to empty? She's on hay and the supreme vet care digestive pellets 3 sticks morning/night with some herbs every other day is her diet the problem? Vet suggests I go for a natural diet but I think her diet is ok, this is the problem she went to the D1ck vet with, slow gastric emptying possibly due to adhesions the pneumonia is a secondary problem.
Sorry if I'm rambling but I'm stumped I can't afford to refer again I'm against exploratory surgery (i personally feel it'd be unfair to her) management will be the key to a comfortable life does anyone have experience of this in their buns?she is on depocillin every other day,baytril, metacam twice daily, zantac, omeprazole and fiberplex

Sorry you're having such a rough time. I don't have any experience of a slow gut but I did used to have a pnuemonia bun. My extremely bunny savvy vet used Zithromax to treat the pnuemonia and it worked a treat every time. The pnuemonia did cause scarring on the lungs and got progressively worse each time she got it but I had her for a good 2 years after she first was ill.

I really hope she picks up.

Is pneumonia contagious? Evan has had three bouts already and has a really bad chest they have been together eighteen months and she has been fine could it be that she's just imuno-compromised is it my fault should I have seperated them? I just feel awful for her she is so special

Whilst Respiratory Tract infections can be contagious it is often the case that a Rabbit with a compromised immune system due to other health problems will just be more susceptible. Separating them could have been just as problematic for her and made her unhappy. This would also have made her more poorly. So please dont blame yourself.

I hope Dana responds to treatment and that you start to see some improvement for her very soon.

Thank you for all the support she is a bit brighter this morning so I take it as a positive sign no poo's as yet but I've seen her nibbling some hay this morning so hopefully her stomach will start to move

Back