• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oops!

We have just found out today that our female rabbit George is in fact a HIM.

3 people including myself and one of the vets at our practice all sexed her as a girl. I have had experience in sexing bunnies before and so know what to look for and have always been right until now. But today she was running around me, jumping onto my knee, getting really excited and demanding attention. So anyway for some reason I lifted her and checked her bottom and there was her "winky" hanging out and I was like ohh. :shock:

So I gave her a really thorough check and yes she was definitely a him, found the testicles. They haven't descended as far as my other male rabbit Hershel though so no wonder they have been missed for so long. Hershel's testicles had descended by the time he was 9-10 weeks and George is 6 month old. Because we thought he was a girl I hadn't checked again since the vet supposedly sexed him at 8 weeks old.

Luckily we don't need to rename him as my sister called him George when she first got him, because the character on Bugs Bunny/Looney Tunes who would captures Bugs Bunny and keeps him as a pet and says they will squish him, love him and call him George. I generally called him Georgie as it was more girly. :lol:

I think it just highlights how notorious hard it is to sex bunnies at an early age. As I've been reading this afternoon that some male bunnies when still young appear to be female.

Anyway the plan was to neuter and bond them as soon as the weather warms up, so I guess as long as the bonding goes okay that is still the plan.

Boys are hard to sex also because they can sometimes have a split penis, which makes you think they are does, all the way up to when they drop their plums,
We rehomed a 'doe' that turned out the be a buck with a split penis,

We also had a bun that we was told was a buck, who actually turned out to be a doe, named Gizmo, but it still suits her, because shes a right shady character, so cute looking but a grump lol

Boys are hard to sex also because they can sometimes have a split penis, which makes you think they are does, all the way up to when they drop their plums,
We rehomed a 'doe' that turned out the be a buck with a split penis,

We also had a bun that we was told was a buck, who actually turned out to be a doe, named Gizmo, but it still suits her, because shes a right shady character, so cute looking but a grump lol

Thanks, I did read something about this yesterday. I think this must have applied to George because at least 3 people missed it, so don't really blame our vets for the mis-sexing. I mean we are all to blame. And they are good vets.

My sister was a bit upset yesterday as we were joking and tormenting her about George having a sex change, but she'll soon get over it.

Our plan is to still getting them neutered and bond them, I can't see any problems in bonding them unless one turns into the devil as both George and Hershel are loving, calm, sociable and sweet natured rabbits. As long as the weather warms up in a couple of weeks, we will go ahead and get them both neutered as we were waiting for George to reach 6 months and Hershel to be 5 months as agreed with our vets.

Once they are hopefully bonded we are going to get them a new 6ft double hutch from Ryedale, as they have been living side by side in separate crappy thin plywood hutches and unfortunately having to take turns in the run so not ideal at the moment. Unfortunately we don't have the floor space for a playhouse or shed, where the hutches are as it would block our kitchen window, but a 6ft hutch will fit to the side of the window.

Not sure what we are going to do if they don't bond, might be an excuse to get them a girlfriend each. ;) :lol:

Back