• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Abscess removal aftercare advise

GrunBunMum

Warren Scout
Can anyone help with what aftercare will be needed tomorrow when our house bun Boris has a large jaw abscess removed. Mainly can he be ok to go back with his wifey. Is he ok with hay? Will he need to be confined to small space, allowed to jump up in his house? What are we likely be doing med wise? Sure our vet will go through it all, just in a panic and worried about my big man. Shall I send him vets with food etc? Thanx for any advise x

When Wesley had 2 jaw abcess ops I did not restrict his area and he went back with partner. What I did was 3 times a day rinse it out and pack it with manuka honey. He was also given depocillin injections. Good luck hope all goes well.

When Wesley had 2 jaw abcess ops I did not restrict his area and he went back with partner. What I did was 3 times a day rinse it out and pack it with manuka honey. He was also given depocillin injections. Good luck hope all goes well.

ditto

though they may keep them seperate for a day or so if he has stitches that are easily accessible by the other bun when licking etc

Send him with a 'packed lunch' plenty of hay and some of his pellets in case he needs to stay in over night.
Also nommy treats to get him eating after the GA.
Bailey had an abcess removed from his shoulder after a bite got infected.
His wound was stapled afterwards don't know if that would be possible for the jaw. xx

edit: also let his wifey bun go with him, he'll recover faster with her supprt and he'll feel better with her grooming him

Abscress removal / Jaw bone infection

Sat here a wreck watching him. He had his abscess cleaned out and after giving the go ahead for an x ray he has a jaw bone infection, which is in a pretty bad way :'( ... since he has had no suffering what so ever, was even doing binkies this morning and chasing me for veg. We really wanted to try let him fight this so she has tried some sort of capsule what they use for cats. Im not sure its all confusing. They think it might work but wont know full extent reguarding teeth till later? im not sure, got a list as long as my arm with stuff they have given him. Hes home now. Hes just hiding in a box but I think me sat here watching him is putting him off moving. Hes eaten some pellets hay parsley and as soon as you put his fav carrot in front of him its gone. This is all good I take it. Not seen any poop yet tho. I darnt leave him cause how will I know if its him or wifey thats pooping x

Glad he's through the op OK. Sounds like they have packed with antibiotic beads possibly. Eating is good. Hopefully he will start pooing soon.

Glad he's through the op OK. Sounds like they have packed with antibiotic beads possibly. Eating is good. Hopefully he will start pooing soon.

Yea sounds like that. I left it to my husband to talk to them because I was in a real state. They are my babies, think eveyone at work thinks im metal. Does this mean he has a fighting chance? they have said nothing wrong with his teeth but may have problems later since he jaw is disfigured?

Yea sounds like that. I left it to my husband to talk to them because I was in a real state. They are my babies, think eveyone at work thinks im metal. Does this mean he has a fighting chance? they have said nothing wrong with his teeth but may have problems later since he jaw is disfigured?

Time will tell. Each case is different. The vet obviously believed he had a chance. Wesley had 2 operations and the vet believed the abcess would come back the second time. Its been over a year now touch wood since he had his abcess.

Just a bit more advise needed please as im not sure hes eating enought. Last night Boris eat a little hay and some dry herbs. Hes is eating carrots no problems, they are gone straight away. Im not sure just giving him mostly carrot is ok? he wont eat pellets at all. He did have a couple of trips to his litter tray has has done poops and wee. This morning he has eaten more carrot and bit of dried herbs, not seen him been tray. Were finding it hard with them both, she doesnt seem to relise hes poorly and is eating all the food and bouncing around, would it be better seperating them? Im going home for my lunch and to give him his painkillers, hopefully ill get him to get more then x

Have you tried soaking his pellets in water so that they are softer. I used to just put warm water on them for a couple of seconds, drain the water off and leave them for 10-15 minutes so that they water penetrated and they went soft but not mushy. Hard pellets will be difficult for his poor little mouth at the moment.

Have you tried soaking his pellets in water so that they are softer. I used to just put warm water on them for a couple of seconds, drain the water off and leave them for 10-15 minutes so that they water penetrated and they went soft but not mushy. Hard pellets will be difficult for his poor little mouth at the moment.

Hes eating carrot no problems so thought he would be ok with pellets. Ill give it a go when I go home at lunch time, thank you :)

What about separating at feeding time. Could you make the dust from pellets and mix with warm water and perhaps an all veg baby food might be easier for him to eat it.

Well ive been home and tried the soft pellet, put them in a tub for him to eat, whcich he picked the tub up and threw it out of the way :/ .... hes eaten more dry herbs carrot and a honey treat. Hes never been a big pellet eater but hes defo not interested. Ill try again when I get home. Seems out was ok his box and under the table with his wifey when I got in. managed to get his metacam down too :) x

Need a little more advise on my Boris. He was doing fine up untill yesterday. Eating pooping fine even at the kitchen door begging for his veg. Took him to vets last night for check up and antibiotics injection. HEs lost a little weight but all else fine. Since hes been home he isnt happy. Hes having nothing to do with us or most of his food. Hes had some parsley and carrot but wont eat anything else. Hes been to the litter tray and done a wee n couple of poops this morning. Ive tried soaked pellets but hes just not interested in them or hay. Im really worried, he doesnt trust us anymore and wont let us near him. Is he going to be ok with just a bit of veg or should I be getting him back to vets. Hes back tomorrow for another injection, we are going to take both of them so hes got a bit of support from the wife :( x

Back