• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit angora hair in clothes

bumblicious

Warren Veteran
I bought a beautiful hat today got it on train cut label off ready to wear and was just looking at label out of curiosity and noticed it said it was made from 14% angora rabbit hair. Got back looked on internet to see if this was bad if it hurt them and it says 90% of the world’s Angora rabbit hair is produced in China where animal welfare laws are non-existent so they are often hurt. The hat does say it was made in China. Is this true? Does it hurt them? Now it does not seem so beautiful.....

Animal welfare in China is appaling, they de-bark dogs in laboratories so I wouldn't imagine they are very nice to rabbits farmed for fur/wool either.

Hmm.. i would think they'd be killed and the rest of their body parts being used for some mad remedy or another... I shudder to think that but they do consider animals of medicinal use...

I read horrific stories about what goes on... I sure as hell wouldn't have anything :(

I was casually looking it up once cos I thought angora wool came from goats..... and came across a horrific horrific awful video of how these items are made :(

I think I will have to take them back - looked at the earmuffs and found that had it in too! I've taken the label off the hat now though. :?

Does anyone know if clothes just say angora as opposed to rabbit angora- are they goat or rabbit?

Does anyone know if clothes just say angora as opposed to rabbit angora- are they goat or rabbit?

Its usually rabbit :( if you go on some clothes websites (john lewis for sure) and type in 'rabbit' you get all the clothes with angora (and mattresses too :cry: )

Hmm.. i would think they'd be killed and the rest of their body parts being used for some mad remedy or another... I shudder to think that but they do consider animals of medicinal use...

I always figured they kept them alive to keep regrowing the fur, no point killing an animal that can still make them money :cry:

Its usually rabbit :( if you go on some clothes websites (john lewis for sure) and type in 'rabbit' you get all the clothes with angora (and mattresses too :cry: )

Oh dear I have an angora jumper and I thought it was goat! I'll be more careful in the future!

I always figured they kept them alive to keep regrowing the fur, no point killing an animal that can still make them money :cry:

Thats whats even more scary...... how are they keeping the animal alive? hate to say it but they would probably be better off dead than being kept in horrific conditions, suffering...

Makes me shudder...

Thats whats even more scary...... how are they keeping the animal alive? hate to say it but they would probably be better off dead than being kept in horrific conditions, suffering...

Makes me shudder...

mmm, death is probably the better option I guess :cry:

I've bought a few angora things by accident (by the way angora is always rabbit, angora goat hair is called mohair), never really thought of them being kept in horrible conditions in china but yeah I guess they probably are :( I'll be checking and staying away in future, angora jumpers tend to be really itchy and make me sneeze anyway

I don't think they kill the rabbit, from what I've heard they shave the fur or pluck it when the rabbit is in heavy moult

I've bought a few angora things by accident (by the way angora is always rabbit, angora goat hair is called mohair), never really thought of them being kept in horrible conditions in china but yeah I guess they probably are :( I'll be checking and staying away in future, angora jumpers tend to be really itchy and make me sneeze anyway

I don't think they kill the rabbit, from what I've heard they shave the fur or pluck it when the rabbit is in heavy moult

I never thougth of it either until a friend asked me if angora is rabbit... then I looked it up, but what I seen online (might not be the case for all angora of course) the poor poor animals were skinned alive.... while the others in the 'queue' had to watch.

Horrific isn't the word.

They don't really care in China, so however they do it, it won't be nice :(

Back