• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another "breed" question.

thumps_

Wise Old Thumper
Just wondering what's the predominant breed in Benjie?
I haven't got many good photos of him cos he's such a cuddle bun, he runs up to be stroked whenever I appear.:love:
Here he is as a baby.
DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0003.jpg

DSCF0012.jpg

His lop ear could well have been damaged before I got him. He has a ring of small knobbly scars at the tip maybe bitten by a cat??? However he folds it over his back when resting.
He's 3.3Kgm now, heavy at the rear end with big back feet, tiny front paws & long front legs. There not a white hair on him. Soles of feet are grey but never show. The facial shape is identical to an Alaska.
There are a couple of others- (spitting image) on RU, but they're rescues too.

He looks quite big (especially his ears) in those photos, could he have some giant blood in him? Either way he is very handsome :love:

He looks quite big (especially his ears) in those photos, could he have some giant blood in him? Either way he is very handsome :love:

Thank you Fifibutton. Maizey kept teasing me he was a conti at 1st. :lol:

He's a medium sized bun. Yes his ears are big & I love them. :love: he's fully grown at 3.3 Kgrm.
I guess I'll just call him a black bunny with a big bum. He's so bottom heavy he only managed his 1st. 4 leg binky a couple of days ago & I've had him for a year now!

Thank you Fifibutton. Maizey kept teasing me he was a conti at 1st. :lol:

He's a medium sized bun. Yes his ears are big & I love them. :love: he's fully grown at 3.3 Kgrm.
I guess I'll just call him a black bunny with a big bum. He's so bottom heavy he only managed his 1st. 4 leg binky a couple of days ago & I've had him for a year now!

Aww bless him, first binkies are very precious :love:

My Emrys is a big boy (well bigger than the rest of my buns) with a large bum and big wide ears too. He is obviously quite a mixture and about 3.5KG just now, very heavy and lazy. Its his ears though not his bum which make me think he could have giant blood in him. One ear lops a bit too sometimes, like helicopter ears. I ahev often wondered what parentage my buns have got because none of them apart from the dutchies look like pure breeds to me. It would be great if the vet could take a blood or saliva sample and analyses the DNA and work out which breeds went into which bunny.

Aww bless him, first binkies are very precious :love:

My Emrys is a big boy (well bigger than the rest of my buns) with a large bum and big wide ears too. He is obviously quite a mixture and about 3.5KG just now, very heavy and lazy. Its his ears though not his bum which make me think he could have giant blood in him. One ear lops a bit too sometimes, like helicopter ears. I ahev often wondered what parentage my buns have got because none of them apart from the dutchies look like pure breeds to me. It would be great if the vet could take a blood or saliva sample and analyses the DNA and work out which breeds went into which bunny.

Yes, I see Emrys in your siggy.:love::love: Lea Anne's Vincent is the same. :love: which is why I was wondering about breed.
I'm laughing at what you said about a saliva sample. I'm a walking saliva sample from Benjie - he licks me like a lollipop, so I've always got a damp patch somewhere:oops:.
Maybe I'll just call him a BBB (A big bummed black) in a posh voice!:lol:

(ETA he's a lot easier than Thumper. When the vets asked colour? for Thumper - "Well he's always dark in summer, but can be fudge with black points in winter & TBH I'm never sure what colour he'll be next, except he's never been white!:oops:")

Last edited:
You call him medium but a dwarf lop is around 2 - 2.5kg so he's got to have some sort of big rabbit in him to get that extra kilo.

His body does look quite dwarf lop like but his nose/head shape is very giant bun ish not french lop (big but wrong head shape). I would guess he does have some giant in him, maybe a grandparent rather than parent.

Weight wise he's very similar to a German Lop, they have big back feet (I suspect my Archie is part, if not full, German lop) but his face doesn't seem to fit. You're right when you say his face is identical to an Alaska. Either way, he's gorgeous :love::love::love:

Thank you so much for your replies Tamsin & Youth novels. That's very interesting.
Whatever cross / mix he is, he's got a wonderful temperament.
You've probably all gathered by now that I don't know a thing about breeds. I just take in what "comes my way". Benjie has been especially affectionate & tries so hard to please, right from the word go.
Yes, Youth Novels, I think he's a stunner too. :oops:

Back