• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit with E. Cuniculi

Jools123

New Kit
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone can give me some advice.

My little lady was at the vets on Friday and was diagnosed with e. Cuniculi, she'd lost weight, was slanting to the left a bit, not eating and having tremors, as well as a dirty bottom. He gave her medicine to syringe feed her and I have to go in tomorrow to pick up worming stuff for her, but I've having trouble getting her to take the medicine, she won't lap it up and it just dribbles off her, anyone had this problem and know how to get her to take it?

Also in the two days since she was at the vet her balance has gotten much worse, she can barely hop about and keeps falling over, its heartbreaking.

I've never had this in a rabbit before and I don't really know what's going to happen to her? Especially since she's gone so rapidly downhill.

Any information would be so much appreciated.

Hi Jools and welcome..

Sorry to hear your bunny is ill. I cant really advise but have you tried putting the meds on a favourite herb or veg......?

Hope your wee girl recovers soon

Fee xx

Sorry to hear your bunny is not very well. I have an EC bunny which started 3 weeks ago. If you wanted to read about it and all the replies you will find it in my Avatar. There is some useful info there. I give my rabbit her meds on a tiny piece of bread or if yours doesn't like bread some put it into mashed banana. My rabbit is still rolling about a bit but she has been sitting up , still with her head tilted. If it is EC there is a chance she could recover but it might take a while.

Thanks Fee, I've tried it on her greens but she'd been sniffing out the medicine ones and just eating the other ones! She may be ill but she's not silly!

Thanks Toni, I never thought of bread or mashed banana, tried a bit on bread just now and she had a wee munch, so she's definitely got more than previously, hopefully she'll keep taking that and I'll try the banana if not. And will definitely have a look, never really heard of this before so trying to gather as much info as possible.

I hope your little one continues to recover too xxx

I have my first EC head tilt bunny at the moment - Harley started with it last week - it is heartbreaking to see your little fluffy one tilting and overbalancing/toppling over - but he is doing really well one week in - he is eating well and drinking and pooping but I did worry he wasn't drinking at first so I used to hold the bottle to his mouth for a few days but have now seen him drinking from a bowl. He has managed to cope with his balance a bit better and rarely topples though it looks like he will! He is on medication and antibiotics and is a b****r for struggling but I just HAVE to do it, so a firm grip or wrap him in a blanket and hold him securely then lift the side of his mouth where the gap is and put the syringe in. Honestly it is scary but persevere and find the best way as it HAS to be done and if I can do it - so can you! Best of luck x

We had this last year - we found the only way to get the meds in them was to sandwich them between lemon balm leaves - they didn't seem to be able to sniff it out that way. I woudl guess mint would work similarly.

Good luck - really hope your bun picks up soon.

Hi just wanted to send you lots of love - my Fifi had EC last summer and it was totally heartbreaking, she lost the use of her back legs (and a lot of confidence) - buns can come back from EC with the right treatment and care - stay strong and positive :thumb:

With regards to the meds I don't think I can add anything extra to what the others have said - best of luck with it, it can be tricky! They can be so unwell with it but still know their own minds - amazing.

Let us know how you get on xx

Thanks everyone for the good wishes and the tips, I've been able to get more medine down Disco and she ate quite a lot this morning, fingers crossed she keeps it up xx

The vet should've given you the worming treatment straight away, that would've helped to stop her getting worse :( hopefully once she gets that in her system she will start getting better. Loads of vibes for a quick recovery xxx

Thanks to everyone for the help and support, just thought I'd let you know that Disco has shown definite improvement :D we've a long way to go yet but the vet was expecting her to have stopped eating by the end of this week, and she's still happily eating (less than before she was ill, but she's definitely happier to eat than she was this time last week!) She's also managing to clean her own bum mainly, and she'd not so unhappy looking and acting :)

Fingers and paws crossed that this'll continue!! Xxx

Oxo my bun has had this condition 3 times over the years and recovered twice from it. The third time it left him without the use of his back legs but he is still a happy indoor bunny and can drag himself around. I found that the Panacur took time to work and each time it was prescribed for 28 days, he was also given Metacam which all bunnies seem to like the taste of. At no time did he stop eating, he always had an appetite. Even if she gets better keep giving her the Panacur for the full 28 days.

I found the best way to give meds was by syringe, putting it just behind the front teeth and holding him on his back in one arm firmly (same position as holding a baby) or on his back on my knee like in the pics below.

Oxmed3.jpg

Oxmed2.jpg

Back