• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving outside

clea

New Kit
Hi
I need a bit of advice about if and when to move my baby bun outside. He is currently around 4 months old and has always been inside. He unfortunately has to stay in his cage during the day and then I let him out in an evening. He gets around 5 hours exercise a day...and i know this is not enough! I want to get him out into his hutch/ run so he can get all the exercise he needs, but im concerned about the change in temperature affecting him. Can anyone advise the best way to introduce him to the outdoors without making him sick? I will also be bonding him with a doe once he is old rnough to be neutered, so he isnt lonely during the day.

Any advice appreciated,

Catherine x

hello , welcome to the forum:wave:
its usually best to wait till april/may, then putting him outside he should be ok with bedding to snuggle in. i had my boy neutered at 4 months and he was fine. i think you need to wait 3-4 weeks until pairing him up with a lady friend. but others will know for sure. all the best!

I am afraid you can't put your bunny outside at the moment as his coat will not be thick enough to keep him warm. The best advice I can give you is to keep him in situ, get him neutered shortly, then in a couple of months when the weather has hopefully warmed up, go to a Rescue for a neutered female. If she has been neutered already you can then put both rabbits in the outdoor hutch in order to bond them. If your male rabbit has not been in this hutch before you will not need to neutralise it so he won't behave territorially when you put them both in.

Thanks for the advice! I was thinking along those lines too, but wanted to check if i was being overly protective. Im getting him neutered at half term in a couple of weeks (im a teacher) and then i was going to bond him over my easter hol so i have the time to spend with them to make sure it goes safely. I have made contact with a few rescue centres in my area (furry friends, bobtails and riverside) so i will be taking him along to one of them for some dating ;)

In the meantime can anyone reccomend an inside solution to giving him exercise during the day? Something he cant escape from or cause any destruction/ chaos (he is turning into quite the explorer). I rent so cant make any modifications to the house unfortunately.

Thank you!

Just bought a nice big puppy pen to attach to his indoor cage for the time being and a HUGE outdoor run for the spring. I hope he likes it! Should keep him out of mischief at least ;)

Back