• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Text from a stranger asking me to take in their rabbit :(

HoneyBear

Mama Doe
Woke me up in the middle of the :censored: night!
Went like this -
Hi I'm friends with your friend *****. She said you have rabbits and I also have a rabbit I'm unfortunately looking to get rid of. She's not neutered or vaccinated, the vet said she doesn't need to be as lives inside. I just don't have the time to get her out her cage anymore as I'm very busy it's not fair on her, I don't really want her gone but sounds like you may be the right person to take her on.

Thanks to my 'friend' I didn't realise because I had 2 rabbits this made me the local rabbit rescue!! :evil:

I don't know :(
I'm FUMING and wish I could ignore it.
Me and my OH have been discussing getting another rabbit only recently but have decided it wouldn't be fair on the 2 we already have.
If it was an outdoor bun I could have taken her on if I had to as have a large hutch, but no way could I take in another house bun, and I wouldn't bring an unvaccinated bun in the same house as Bear and Alice.

I know this story. People think I might take any unwanted cat, because I have 9 already.
Every so often I get : "hey, XX has kittens, are you interested??"
You have two choices, look for a home for this bunny or tell them to go to a rescue and forget about it (not easy)

I know this story. People think I might take any unwanted cat, because I have 9 already.
You have two choices, look for a home for this bunny or tell them to go to a rescue and forget about it (not easy)

I agree with this. Its really hard and I have taken in quite a few of peoples unwanted pets...only to find that they go out and buy something else. It sounds quite harsh but I would text them the name/number of local rescues and make them do the leg work. The easier they find it to part with the pet the more likely they are to do the same again.

If you do decide to help ask them to contribute to the vaccination (or get him/her vaccinated first but you need proof from the vet), you also want cage etc from them (even if you wont use it) but so that it will cost them to make another set up.

I would be cross too:evil:

I agree with this. Its really hard and I have taken in quite a few of peoples unwanted pets...only to find that they go out and buy something else. It sounds quite harsh but I would text them the name/number of local rescues and make them do the leg work. The easier they find it to part with the pet the more likely they are to do the same again.

If you do decide to help ask them to contribute to the vaccination (or get him/her vaccinated first but you need proof from the vet), you also want cage etc from them (even if you wont use it) but so that it will cost them to make another set up.

I would be cross too:evil:

This is good advice, however I know it's not easy. Hope it works out which ever way you decide to play it.

This is good advice, however I know it's not easy. Hope it works out which ever way you decide to play it.

No its not easy and it probably hurts you more than them as your the one hoping they make the right choices:( Were the ones who stay awake all night hoping they do the right thing and they dont give it a second though:cry:

Tell them that you are not a rescue and it's incredibly irresponsible to guilt trip the first rabbit owner they find into taking the rabbit once they're bored :evil: Then I'd send them in the way of the rescue but mention how much they struggle with idiot owners like them, maybe then they'll feel bad and put some money towards the rabbit being neutered, vaccinated and cared for

I get this too, weve 4 cats. People assume one more wont make a difference, they can get rid of their problems and leave you with the joys of extra food and vet costs, the trying to get all the animals to get on again cos the heirachy changes completely etc.

I say no now, I havent always. Give them numbers for rescues and walk away

Tell them that you are not a rescue and it's incredibly irresponsible to guilt trip the first rabbit owner they find into taking the rabbit once they're bored :evil: Then I'd send them in the way of the rescue but mention how much they struggle with idiot owners like them, maybe then they'll feel bad and put some money towards the rabbit being neutered, vaccinated and cared for

This! I would be so so angry that my number was just handed out too:evil: how dare they both assume just because you have rabbits you want more. They're not old clothes to pass around :censored: makes me so angry.. I was asked by a girl from school if I could have her 2 rabbits because she had no time for them etc.. :roll:

I don't think your friend should have given your number out without asking, and the other person should have thought before texting in the middle of the night.

I wouldn't be too angry with her for asking though - if she genuinely doesn't have the time (or the inclination even) to look after the bunny then at least she's trying to find a new home, rather than just plodding on knowing things aren't right. People will often start by asking friends etc &, if they know people who already have bunnies, then that's probably the logical place to start I guess.

I've been asked to take in a bunny before, and a pair of leopard geckos - I had to say no to both as I just don't have the room or funds so all I could do was point them in the direction of some rescues and give them some advice about how to rehome them privately.

I get this a lot!

In fact at least 5 of my present rabbits have come to me this way (I do NOT include jemma's Lucy Blue in that count!) - and there have been a few more that I have taken in just to stop them going to somewhere rubbish - but on the proviso that I will be finding a new good home and passing them on to that.

they always tell you that they will come and visit and that they will come a weekend soon and help with all the cleaning - or send money or . . .

you never see them again.

personally I have never regretted taking them in - they have usually had poor lives before that - living with idiots.

The contacting in middle of night is a bit much

I often feel like saying this to people I know however I have to bite my tongue, in my mind it just risks tempting people into setting them free. Obviously if the owner actually does care they will feel guilt tripped but the vast majority aren't like this and don't see an animal as an extension of their family.

I can't believe some people's cheek, I've had this often with guinea pigs but your best bet is to give them rescue details and hope that they do the right thing. I appreciate how hard it is but it's very easy to take in one too many, I've done this many times :oops:

Can't believe the amount of responses from people who have been in the same situation, it's just unbelievable :cry:
I finally feel calm enough to reply and have given her some local ish rescue details and have even called our nearest rescue for her as would have happily helped to get the bunny there, unfortunately they can't take her in, so fingers crossed she had the sense to call the other rescues and do the right thing.
I've also advised her in the mean time to maybe bunny proof a room, can't stop thinking about that poor bunny in a tiny room :(

It does happen a lot.....I've taken on several bunnies because people at work know I'm bunny mad ,I won't take them on just for the sake of it but if I have enough space etc then I will.

Can't believe the amount of responses from people who have been in the same situation, it's just unbelievable :cry:
I finally feel calm enough to reply and have given her some local ish rescue details and have even called our nearest rescue for her as would have happily helped to get the bunny there, unfortunately they can't take her in, so fingers crossed she had the sense to call the other rescues and do the right thing.
I've also advised her in the mean time to maybe bunny proof a room, can't stop thinking about that poor bunny in a tiny room :(

Her response to this was "I could sell her on free adds couldn't I?" And he won't let her free range :evil:
Calling some more rescues if she won't!!

Is the rabbit confined to a small cage? If I had more money I'd take her on but I couldn't travel or afford the spaying ect.
I really hope something turns up for her, she'll find it hard to find a suitable indoor home on free ad sites!

"Asking round" before taking to a rescue is remakably common. I sometimes think that rescues only see the tip of an iceberg of "unwanted pets" which is a national scandal.
Mine have all come this sort of way, bar a cat deemed unsuitable for rehoming by the RSPCA (rescued from death row)

2 things stand out as odd -
the middle of the night :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock: why on earth then?
texting a complete stranger? Why doesn't your "friend" introduce you or suss out the ground 1st?

Back