• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can different types/sizes of rabbits live together?

ziggyandme

Mama Doe
Hi everyone, :wave:
I have a fantastic 10 month year old mini-lop, Ziggy, who has been neutered, and so over the next couple of months I will be looking to get him a girlfriend (yay!)
I would love some advice from people who have experienced different breeds being bonded, and to know if size is an issue. What, for example, about breeds such as French Lops, Nethies, Rexes, Dutch bunnies ect? Also, space, money and time isn't an issue.
I am very open to ideas about breeds and suggestions and thank you in advance, Ella (and Zig!)

I have a large dwarf lop that lives with a little nethie no problems, they are not related dwarf lop was about 2 when introduced to 4mth old nethie :wave:

I think personailities are more important. I'd suggest getting in touch with a rescue and discussing your rabbits personality and asking them which buns of a similar age would be a good match. You can take Ziggy for some bunny dates and let him decide who he likes.

I have two rex brothers living with a nethie/lop mix female.
Rabbits aren't racists, they don't care if their companion is of a different color, size or shape so long as its a rabbit.

Thank you all for your replies, some great information. I was surprised with the range of bunnies people keep together - would I be able to have a large rabbit with Zig? Ie. A conti? xxxxx

Thank you all for your replies, some great information. I was surprised with the range of bunnies people keep together - would I be able to have a large rabbit with Zig? Ie. A conti? xxxxx

If they get on there is no reason why not. Contis do need a lot of space though so unless you already have one (if outdoors) you will need a shed/run set up.

I'd talk to a few rescues. When we were looking for a wife for our large Californinan rex I didn't even think about breeds. I discussed his temprement, the set up they would have, what our family is like and how we use the garden i.e the wifey would need to be confident around noisy kids and cats. We were bonded with a tiny little fluff ball no bigger than a Guinea pig! I was worried for her because of the size difference but they were the most successful and fastest bond the rescue has ever done!

Good luck

Back