• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Grayson keeps choking?

emmiiee

Warren Veteran
It's becoming a weekly thing now!

I think it's cos he guzzles his food so fast, but even feeding him slowly he still eats to fast, im tempted t g to a hay only diet, with greens and just cut out the pellets altogether

Could it be his teeth? He has no signs of teeth problems and is a very good hay eater etc

its just so scary every time he does it! I end up having to 'shake' him untill he sicks it up, very distressing fo both him and me!

sounds very scarey and you dont want anything to happen to him, maybe its worth a vet check up, not all bunnies show outward signs of dental problems with their molars, mabel never does she used to just lose weight all of a sudden no other signs, luckily she seems to be ok since her first year of dentals (touchwood)

He needs to be examined by a Vet pronto. Especially after a choke as even if he apparently recovers he may actually have aspirated food which can cause Aspiration Pneumonia

Frequent choking is very abnormal and always merits prompt Veterinary attention.

He needs to be examined by a Vet pronto. Especially after a choke as even if he apparently recovers he may actually have aspirated food which can cause Aspiration Pneumonia

Frequent choking is very abnormal and always merits prompt Veterinary attention.

This.
id be popping him to the vet and getting him on antibiotics just in case and metacam, as his throat will be sore.
Parsley has never had a problem since I pit him on rabbit Royale
It took me a while to get the amount I had to give him right and now I've got it down to a tee and every bun gets rr.

He didn't choke on his pellets today! I've switched tofeeding from a bowl rather than scatter feeding, as with scatter feeding he runs around whilst eating! a from a bowl, he sits still and eats!

What pellets are you feeding him? Can you change to something larger, I think Science Selective are quite big ones?

Personally I'd still be going to a vet, especially as he is producing mucuos.
I had to go to the emergency vet when parsley choked.
It might be worth thinking of changing his pellets as well to something differet.
He could still potentially choke if there is an underlying problem that is being missed (not notieable etc)
Or if he continues to be a piggy with food, Parsley went from the bowl to being scatter fed as he put too many pellets in his mouth with a bowl.

Last edited:
What pellets are you feeding him? Can you change to something larger, I think Science Selective are quite big ones?

he on p@h but sometimes recently started to mix with SS, and I think tis those he is choking on coshe eats so fast ad just swollows them nearly whole!! so stopped wih SS and see if thats the cause

Personally I'd still be going to a vet, especially as he is producing mucuos.
I had to go to the emergency vet when parsley choked.
It might be worth thinking of changing his pellets as well to something differet.
He could still potentially choke if there is an underlying problem that is being missed (not notieable etc)
Or if he continues to be a piggy with food, Parsley went from the bowl to being scatter fed as he put too many pellets in his mouth with a bowl.

he's not producing mucuos, only once when he sicked up the pellet, hes not rasping or wheezy and has eaten find today! I get paid next week, so may tak him to gethis teeth checked just incase!

he's not producing mucuos, only once when he sicked up the pellet, hes not rasping or wheezy and has eaten find today! I get paid next week, so may tak him to gethis teeth checked just incase!

Aye that's the best option, it may not even be a problem with his teeth, just that he is a greedy bun.
But it can't be good for you being stressed out when he chokes, cos it's such a scary thing *hugs*
Moving back onto the p@h pellets might be an idea as well to rule out if it's been the ss causing it.

Aye that's the best option, it may not even be a problem with his teeth, just that he is a greedy bun.
But it can't be good for you being stressed out when he chokes, cos it's such a scary thing *hugs*
Moving back onto the p@h pellets might be an idea as well to rule out if it's been the ss causing it.

it is soo scary! seeing a rabbit like gasp for air and the look in his eye, that he is terrified to! I end up a blubbering mess, and then we just lie on the floor for ages snuggling!

yh also swapping to feeding in a bowl as he sits still when his food is in one place, rather than hpping around and eating fast at the same time

Nothing more I can add that others haven't but your bun definitely needs his teeth checking..choking can be a sign of dental issues.

Fingers crossed that he is ok. :)

it is soo scary! seeing a rabbit like gasp for air and the look in his eye, that he is terrified to! I end up a blubbering mess, and then we just lie on the floor for ages snuggling!

yh also swapping to feeding in a bowl as he sits still when his food is in one place, rather than hpping around and eating fast at the same time

Aw hen *hugs*
If I was you ( and you're probably doing this already)
But I wouldn't leave him alone at all with his food, just in case.
I'm always para with parsley now and i'm alert to the tinyiest change in him. xxx

Aw hen *hugs*
If I was you ( and you're probably doing this already)
But I wouldn't leave him alone at all with his food, just in case.
I'm always para with parsley now and i'm alert to the tinyiest change in him. xxx

yhh ive sat like face o face wih him whilst he eats ha!

I don't know if you are familiar with Julie but she is a very greedy bunny and started choking off and on on her food pellets and hay. She had several vet checks and nothing was found even her teeth seemed fine.
Finally she started drooling and choking more frequently so had her checked again and she had a dental on her back teeth. The vet was convinced that was the problem combined with her gobbling food. I had brought videos of her eating.
After the dental she started choking everyday. I started mushing her pellets and steaming/soaking her hay. She had another dental a couple weeks ago and the vet said that the choking could be caused by her front teeth being just slightly misaligned just enough that because she chewed so fast and swallowed that the food wasn't small enough causing her to choke.
Julie has not choked once since that last dental. She has gone back to eating her pellets dry. I still lightly steam the hay just because hay chokes were the worse and I am too nervous as she eats hay so fast with more than one piece at a time.
You might want to try mushing his food until you can get to the vets. Choking is so scary as the next time he can die.

Back