• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help: Rabbit passed away & brother lonley

fayjames78

New Kit
My female Rabbit passed away last night & her brother looks so lonely. I really don't know what to do. I have put a teddy in with him for comfort. He must be missing her so much as they have been together since birth & NEVER spent a day apart. Any advice would be really appreciated as we all are heartbroken & this just makes in worse. Thanks

I am so very sorry for your loss. The teddy you have put in may give some comfort to him but he will be missing his sister.

Make sure that he is eating and pooping OK, this is most important. Try to spend extra time with him and talk/stroke him if he likes it.

If you are considering another bunny to bond him with you could look in the Rabbits in need section on here (I know it is early days for you but you may be considering it). If you are considering another bunny, make sure the female did not have anything that could have been contagious (sorry you didn't mention how she passed away) before introducing a new one.

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. As far as the vet was concerned she had a stroke. I still can't believe it as she was running around the kitchen in the afternoon & then that evening she just went all limp and was drooling from her mouth. She passed away within minutes of being at the vets. I have had her brother in the living room with me on the sofa giving him lots of cuddles and strokes. He is eating okay & drinking and washing himself but just spends long periods staring into space. I wish I could explain that WE haven't taken her from him. It truly is heart breaking x

hi hun. my rabbit also died today im so gutted. ive came on here too see if ppl know what may have gone wrong xx

What happened to your bunny Sharon , did he/she stop eating drinking pooin etc or was it something else :cry:

hi hun. my rabbit also died today im so gutted. ive came on here too see if ppl know what may have gone wrong xx

Hi Sharon,
I have just seen you post too and replied! The vet said that these things can happen and there is no preventing it. It is awful. Maybe your Rabbit got a scare or something & went into shock. Pebbles was fine all day Friday, but Friday night she just went, it was horrible. I still don't understand it. I hope you start to feel better. Just try and think happy memories, it's hard I know. We have still got her brother which is really hard as he is so lost without her. They were hand reared from babies as their mother rejected them and were so close. I hope he starts to perk up soon. Please remember you gave your Bunny a good life! xxx

hiya i still have jake but its so upsetting knowing if hadnt got out. guess we cant change it. going to bury him today. so hard not pouring him a bowl of nuggets when i feed jake xx

hiya i still have jake but its so upsetting knowing if hadnt got out. guess we cant change it. going to bury him today. so hard not pouring him a bowl of nuggets when i feed jake xx

Sharon, I know just how you feel. I am finding it really hard when feeding Bambam and not putting any out for Pebbles. Hopefully time will be a healer for us. xx

I am so very sorry for your loss. The teddy you have put in may give some comfort to him but he will be missing his sister.

Make sure that he is eating and pooping OK, this is most important. Try to spend extra time with him and talk/stroke him if he likes it.

If you are considering another bunny to bond him with you could look in the Rabbits in need section on here (I know it is early days for you but you may be considering it). If you are considering another bunny, make sure the female did not have anything that could have been contagious (sorry you didn't mention how she passed away) before introducing a new one.

Hi Bunny Babe,
Well, I have been giving him lots of cuddles & today we are going to collect a little companion for him. I feel so guilty, it's as though we are just going out a replacing Pebbles straight away, but Bambam is really suffering and is off his food. I have spoken to someone who is very good with rabbits and they have said as long as we introduce them slowly it should be fine. Will post on here later x

i hope so. i cant think if much else. will u get another. when the weather warms up im going to get another. wont be like him but im sure ill find another great personality xx

just seen your getting another. im going to poss get one in march time xx

We have got another today. Feel awful, but the difference in Bambam is incredible already. She is very timid but he has taken to her really well. She will never replace Pebbles but she is cute. We miss Pebbles so much, I still can't believe it. Hope you do get another Sharon when the time is right for you xxx

i think pebbles very much wouldnt want her brother to be alone and shed want you too give another bunny the love you gave her. nobody will ever replace them but hopefully pebbles and chandler will look after eachother up there xx

I bonded Willow with Frankie and Benny a week after Floppy died... I couldnt bear to see her all alone.. She had company from her siblings all her short life when she met Floppy.. Culdnt bear to see her alone....

Good luck
Fee x

Hi Bunny Babe,
Well, I have been giving him lots of cuddles & today we are going to collect a little companion for him. I feel so guilty, it's as though we are just going out a replacing Pebbles straight away, but Bambam is really suffering and is off his food. I have spoken to someone who is very good with rabbits and they have said as long as we introduce them slowly it should be fine. Will post on here later x
Don't feel guilty, you will never replace Pebbles and she will hold a special place in your heart. Sometimes we have to do what is best for the bunnies and put our feelings on the back burner.

We have got another today. Feel awful, but the difference in Bambam is incredible already. She is very timid but he has taken to her really well. She will never replace Pebbles but she is cute. We miss Pebbles so much, I still can't believe it. Hope you do get another Sharon when the time is right for you xxx
This sounds very promising, good luck with the bonding. We will of course need some photos.

It would also be nice to see some photos of Bambam and Pebbles too (great names).

Back