• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

GROWTH ON NOSE - Update Post 17

Fee

Wise Old Thumper
Hiya All...

You'll all know i rescued Benny a couple of weeks ago. He and his brother a getting a bit braver and able to come closer.

I noticed today a growth or something on Bennys nose. He is well in himself and eating and peeing normally but I thought I would post this pic, I know it might not help but if someone can advise me if I should take him to vet, i will..

438DE8CD-8A1A-4955-BE88-EE21FB32B4D9-1028-000001FA346F1264.jpg
[/IMG]

Its a wee lump on right hand side of nose just above his wee nostril, its furry

Last edited:
It could be one of three things:

An injury from being nipped on the nose by another Rabbit, which from the photo looks to be the most likely
A Myxomatosis nodule
Treponematosis (Rabbit Syphillis)

Have you checked him all over for any more lesions, especially on his genitals ?

A Vet check is definitely in order.

Myxo??. You are kidding.... Oh no...... !,!!

I will go out again and look, what am I looking for Jane on his bits.???

Sorry Jane, rabbit syphillis? Will have to investigate this too...

Off on amonday, vets definitely..

D79A8E90-DEA6-4135-A827-0AB508E4E9BF-1028-000001FE280534AC.jpg
[/IMG]

I checked his 'bits' all clean and no swellings, ears look ok too...
do you think it looks more like an injury as it looks sort of ripped...?

Last edited:
From looking at a photo I cant be 100% certain, but it does look like a bite wound. If so there is a real risk of infection which can easily lead to the formation of an abscess. I would want him seen by a Vet ASAP, as Rabbit abscesses can be a total nightmare to treat.

Poor Benny, I'm hoping that it is nothing more sinister than a bite wound. Still unpleasant but easily treatable if dealt with in time.

Sending vibes to sweet Benny. xxxx

Thanks.... I have looked at early photos of him when we got him and cant be sure but think it was there early on?..

Thanks for the vibes mrs Bunnykins....xxx

vets fee, I don't like the look of it whatever it is.
Hope its nothing majorly serious and easy to treat.
Let me know how he gets on ? Xxxxxxxx

Also speak to David and send him the pic and see what he says, it may be the way his nose is and you've just not noticed, but hopefully they would be able to know.
Xxxxxx

Sending loads a vibes over to Benny and fingers crossed Hes ok :love::love: and sending these over for you Fee xxx
188dd5d4.jpg

Aww thanks guys........

Vets tomorrow, checked on him today and he's got no other injuries or growths or anything else, is eating and pooing fine it would seem and was still as desperate for a treat today, wee pet....

There were afew uneaten caecals today but I suspect that may be Willow again as she does insist in eating too many pellets, in fact steals them from the boys mouths

Thanks all. will keep you posted

Fee xxx

Poor boy, it looks nasty. Hope it is something which can be easily fixed. Do you have a good rabbit vet?

I have a bun with a misshapen nose and he is fine. When he went in for his neuter the vet had a look and said it was just a bit of an odd shape. Does it look like a fresh wound?

Both my girls have noses like that...they managed to get into the chicken area when I had chickens, and both got pecked on the nose..both healed up quickly, but noses stayed an odd shape. Hopefully, yours is nothing more serious.

Phew!!,!, On Nats advice, i contacted Fairly Beloved who I adopted them from.

David knew all about it and said that Frankie and Benny were actually in a quad but fought, Benny was injured so were separated, He said that it was an old recovered war wound and was actually ok... Looks worse than it is. Probably explains why Benny is neither up nor down and shoving his wee nose through the bars when theres food about....

Thank Goodness for that... Aww poor Benny with the button nose....... He got extra pellets today because I felt so sorry for him...

Thanks you all for your advice

Fee x:wave:

Back