• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chewing/gnawing

Fee

Wise Old Thumper
Hi all..

I know bunnies chew and like gnawing.. However Willow, all of a sudden seems to want to get her teeth into anything remotely wooden.

Today she was voracious in gnawing a wee willow bridge type tunnel, and a piece of wood in the shed and also a piece of the hutch. She has the 2 boys company too..

I know that it can be a sign of boredom but cant think of why she would be bored.
They have two tunnels, 2 boxes, willow tunnel, pot plant with hay, 2 storage boxes with hay, litter tray with hay, play balls, and a treat game that gets destroyed in two minutes if the fenugreek crunchies go in..

Am I not doing something right ? or is this totally normal happy bunny behaviour.?
am i just being neurotic?:roll:

Chewing is natural bunny behaviour - some are particularly good at it and very determined. It is not necessarily a sign of boredom. I think you know Collielover? She has two bunnies, bonded sisters, who have a fearsome reputation for chewing. I have seen some of their teethwork. :shock:

I wouldn't worry too much, but be prepared for shed repairs being necessary.

If she starts chewing the hutch/shed you can line it with mesh :) I did this in the shed just in case as if my 2 start chewing they don't stop! :lol:

Aw thanks folks.... Thats ok... Its just strange how she only seems to have discovered wood, because it has been around her for months!! .. Will get ready for repairs then!,,:lol:

Aarrrgghh!! Just been out to say night night and lock the buns in for the night and all 3 are now attacking the wooden tunnel....

I've taken tunnel inside the hut to prevent them chewing the hut and hope it works...

They're all having a fab time!! I take it , it'll be good for their teeth to gnaw...

i have ordered a few gnaw stone things from The Hay Experts..

Last edited:
I think it's normal.... Ludo would rather chew the carpet than his toys! (Today I lined the floor with fleece!)

Oh yes. This is normal. My buns (especially my boy, Fiver) is a right norty bun when it comes to chewing!!! He has chewed my wall (as in stripped th epaint off and actually chewed a hollow out of the plaster), destroyed my curtains (bunny sized holes all along!), chewed my duvet and pillow cases, chewed my bed to bits, my furniture, my carpet, the sticky tiles that were in the cage, the lino in the cage, the cage...you get the point!!

He goes weeks and weeks without chewing anything and all of a sudden I'll go up to check on them and he'll have completely destroyed a cardboard tunnel that he's not touched for months..or decided to find something chewable that previously he hadn't even touched.

Xena (his partner) will suddenly become interested in what he is chewing and join in :roll: They use team work...one stops for a break and the other one takes over. :lol:

Little *******!!

Heehee... methinks she's the ringleader and they are copying, you may well be right there!!,

I've always said she's a cheeky minx!,,,,

Heehee... methinks she's the ringleader and they are copying, you may well be right there!!,

I've always said she's a cheeky minx!,,,,

Yup! Xena used to be such a good girl but Fiver has taught her some very norty things!!! :lol: I don't mind as long as they chew the things I have provided for them to chew..but of course the things that they aren't allowed are always the best! :roll: :roll:

Yup I have a few chewers here .....they chewed there way out of a run......a hut it was a nightmare last summer we couldn't keep them not escaping.....what I have now done is linned there hut with laminate flooring back to front as they chewed through plywood ect before ..I have found laminate has a coating and they somehow can't get there teeth into it......there a airy run now has puppy pens around it so they can't get to the wood ....this seems to be working so far

Heehee.... sounds like Alcatraz!!!,,... Found them chewing the run today.. Put vinegar on it neat.. it stopped them!!,!

Back