• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New Vaccination side effect?

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Sky had his first Combo vacc. yesterday morning. Absolutely fine until a short while ago. He has gone super skinny with a large, soft belly (query empty?). Breathing fast. Not eating. Pooing. Seems to be lifting his tail a lot- mostly in the litter tray so (query trying to wee?), but not always (query pain). He also doesn't want anything to do with me, which is so completely different because he only ever wants attention.

Sky's not ever, EVER had anything like this before. Ever. in his seven years and four months of life.

I've followed my vets advice of dosing up with pain relief. Next is Sub Qs.

Cystitis?

Any thoughts?

Too circumstancial to be unrelated, I think.

Very worried. Exceptionally worried for my very best friend. That was a very quick comedown from my other thread.

Gosh - no real advice other than I would get Subcuts on board straight away - whether its side effect or cystitis.

I have had ALL of mine done with the new vaccine and NO side effects - not even the elderly, infirm and wildies.

Sorry I haven't any explanation for the problems with Sky.:( It could well be a reaction to the combi vaccine. Obviously you'll get Sky checked out asap by the vet.

Sending vibes to Sky, and hoping tomorrow he will be feeling much better and back to his normal self.:thumb::love:

Estelle and Frankie both had their combi vaccs last year and fortunately neither had any reaction of any sort. Phew!!

Can you gently palpate his bladder to see if it is very full ? If it is and he is straining I would not give SQ fluids, he may have an obstructed urethra.

He may have been harboring a bladder infection and the vaccine just tipped his immune system over the edge

Hopefully once the Metacam kicks in he will at least feel more comfortable.

Ack. I gave fluids. He is making lots of little tiny puddles of wee around. He has also since eaten craisin (i.e. passed the treat test).

Ack. I gave fluids. He is making lots of little tiny puddles of wee around. He has also since eaten craisin (i.e. passed the treat test).

If he is dribbling wee at least there is some output. Does sound very much like cystitis. If you happen to have any Diastix you could test his wee dribble for the presence of blood and protein, which would indicate a bacterial infection.

Ok, I've had a rummage and nothing in his abdomen seems in anyway anything other than soft. I couldn't feel a distinct bladder or anything unusual down there for him at all.

He will be going to the vets tomorrow, but, given I have now given him fluids, should I be taking him to the vet so they can examine him?

No advice I'm afraid, the skinny but bloated reminded me of when Mae had bloat. She felt incredibly thin but her abdomen was distended. Good luck!

Thanks. Thankfully he isn't distended as such, I think he has just lost fluid weight and gone skinny around his pelvis and suchlike and that makes him look a bit wrong. The fact he is all soft everywhere reassures me a bit about that.

Not sure if I should be calling the vet to get them to have a rummage around his bladder.

I called and had a long chat with a good vet and she said it sounds very much like cystitis and that, from what I've described, it is unlikely he is blocked or partially blocked, but told me the signs to look out for and for him to come in straight away if he deteriorates. He is now happily nomming everything in sight, so I'm going to bed. Got to be up super early to get up for the vets and it is past my bedtime.

Thanks everyone.

I called and had a long chat with a good vet and she said it sounds very much like cystitis and that, from what I've described, it is unlikely he is blocked or partially blocked, but told me the signs to look out for and for him to come in straight away if he deteriorates. He is now happily nomming everything in sight, so I'm going to bed. Got to be up super early to get up for the vets and it is past my bedtime.

Thanks everyone.

Sounds like good news :thumb:

I'm late to this thread but definitely want to include my vibes and prayers for Sky to recover fully and quickly. (((((((((((((((((((((((vibes)))))))))))))))))))))))
And big (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))))) for you, Sky-O.

Much better, thank you for asking :)

Got a UTI, so on meds for that. Will look to report this to the relevant people too, because there is some sort of chance it could be related.

Back