• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit holidays

JK1

New Kit
Hi there,
I am thinking about the idea of setting up my own 'rabbit holiday home' where rabbits can come to stay when their owners go on holiday. At the moment this is just an idea, but as I have struggled in the past to find someone I can trust with my buns (and then I end up taking them with me!) I really think this could be a good idea. I have seen other people currently do this with cats and dogs but is it possible to do for rabbits?

So is there anyone currently doing this who wishes to share a few top tips?

I do have a basic idea of what I need and suppliers for hay etc... But the second question is are there any restrictions on this type of care for rabbits?

Any suggestions/advice would me much appreciated.
Thank you in advance!! :)

you need indoor and outdoor accommodation ideally. Large, fox proof with runs on concrete or slabs (can't disinfect grass) you will need insurance, forms for the owners to sign. You need to consider how many rabbits you can cater for, and what you will do if some of the rabbits have referred aggression (attack their mate when seeing/smelling other rabbits) storage for hay, food. Proper disinfecting equipment.

Good luck!

Thank you for your help!

I've been doing some research and I know I need to provide adequate exercise and living space. I have also had a look into all the T&Cs that are involved. Vaccinations would be a must as I have 2 buns of my own and I wouldn't want anything to happen to them. I would start small scale with 1 or 2 buns to start with to see how things go. Cost wise I already buy in food/bedding for my own buns so I'm aware of how much those things cost.

Thanks again and any more advise is very welcome :)

You need to look at insurance. I can't remember exactely what it is you have to have, OH and I looked into it briefly a couple of years ago before deciding it would be too stressful, I couldn't cope if someone elses bun got ill or died in my care, I would hate having to tell them :cry:. You would need to think about forms that owners signs as well and vet care, you need to make sure you would be able to travel to which ever vets the owners use normally.

Back