• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

disabled rabbit.... wheels??

FarplaceRescue

Alpha Buck
I have just taken in a french lop female aged 2 yrs. she has arthritis in back legs, and possible neurological problems. apart from this she is in good health. We are wondering about wheels for her to aid mobility. does anyone have experience or comments?
Jan

I can't think of any one on the forum who has had a bun wear wheels. But there are a few with arthritus experience. Could you ask your vet for a referall?

I think that sounds like a good idea if she has enough coordination to use them. They are expensive though - I wonder if the companies who make them would be able to provide an example for her to try out?

I had a rabbit who lost mobility in her back legs but her EC was too bad for her to be able to use wheels.

I considered wheels for my EC bun, we got him acupuncture and the transformation was amaxing. He still has some neurological issues but he runs, jumps and binkies without issue now! It could be beneficial for your bun maybe, as you said there could be a neurological issue in your bun. I have a feelinh they can use acupuncture for osteoarthritis, how it works I do not know but it does! Have you got metacam, or any othe anti inflammatory medicine for her?
Also, 2 seems young for osteoarthritis, have the vets done xrays to diagnose this?

Last edited:
Cocoa has been to see my vet. We are waiting for her last vet to send case notes and xrays to my current vet practice. My vet thinks she MAY have arthritis, but looks more like neurological problems. She is currently on metacam daily, but cannot move well. She has movement and feels pain in her back legs, but cannot support herself on them. She favours lying on one side. She shuffles using her front feet, but doesnt move a lot. I have tried supporting her tummy with a scarf and encoraging her to walk, but it is difficult for her.
We have found a company willing to make us a cart for her. If it doesnt work for her, we can send it back, and get a refund. It is well under $100, including shipping from USA. We are going to try it for her, along with homeopathic and complimentary stuff.
At the moment, her quality of life is not good. We will do all we can to improve things for her.

Malteser was similar before the acupunctre, I highly recommend giving it a go, you may be surprised! It would depend on how long she has been lame for though with loss of muscle tone, having said that, you can feel Malteser is lacking muscle mass in his rear so I you never know! I only have one bun go through it but others here may know more.

This is Cocoa:
cocoa1800x686_zps47e6cf6d.jpg

You need to find out what her problems are before you think of getting her wheels, she really needs xrays and scans to determine the damage otherwise more damage could be done

I have had several rabbits here with spinal problems and we have managed to get them all moving, they have undergone lots of tests and a treatment plan for each individual bunny have been drawn up, so far it's always worked

Please have a look at the this video of Princees Brie, she couldn't walk or hop at all and yet now she is binkying all over the place

This was her half way through her treatment and she has improved even more now

If you need any more help or advice please let me know

Back