• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

lots of questions regarding outside set up (currently indoor bunnies)

nori

Young Bun
Hi All,

I have two rabbits who are both used to being indoors. They will of course remain indoors as the weather is awful, but when it brightens up abit id like them to be outside in the day and possibly at night. With one bunny i felt he needed me there but now they have each other i dont think its a huge issue.

OUtside I currently have a 5ft run (enclosed) which clearly wont be big enough for both of them for long periods of time(if atall).

I do have a shed but its knackered so i dont think it will be an option. I was looking at dog kennels with runs after looking at the sticky. My budget would be £300My hubby is the least DIY person you can get so anything which requires anything tricky is out.

Another issue is that we will probably move in the next few years so it will have to be movable somehow.

Finally, Is this an awful thing to do to my bunnies if they are used to be indoors? If it will harm them in anyway i will keep them in. I can bring them in at night but i dont want too much temperature change as that can be bad for them too?

Hi,

I had my first pair indoors for years before deciding to try them as outdoor bunnies. I can honestly say that they love it outside, and I can't see them ever coming back indoors to live long-term. They've got their own space outside, without having to share it with us, and they can make as much mess as they like without me having to sweep up every 10 minutes :lol:

You are right about the temperature, and you'd be best off waiting until the weather warms up significantly to put them out, as they won't have winter coats, being house rabbits - maybe May-time?

If I could choose any outdoor set-up, and money was no object, I think I would go for a kennel or shed with attached aviary. I like the idea of being able to get in there with them, and being able to sweep up easily. You could look at woodenbuildings on ebay - his stuff is very good value for the size, and he delivers and builds it all for you as well, and you can ask him to build you something that fits into the space you have: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/woodenbuildings2010/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

The RWAF recommends 44 square feet of space for a pair of bunnies.

Good luck!

Im glad i read this as well, i am wanting my girl to go outside once i get her a man bun :D I was worrying myself if it was the right thing to do but they are meant to be outside i suppose.

We have a wendy house that we got for our dog years ago and my husbands friend is a roofer so he put some propper roofing felt stuff on the roof and its bone dry inside, so make sure you get decent fent for the roof.

if i were to convert a shed like the one below would i need to actually do anything? insulation? Im assuming id have to saw the door in half? How weatherproof are sheds?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cleveland...662?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35c178ee26

hi - this is what we did with our 6ftx4ft shed to make it as water proof as possible we painted it inside and out with cuprinol 5 years duck back then insulated the inside with thermawrap from homebase....added a frost heater and light oh and a fan for the summer...

GetAttachment_zpsac9b4184.jpg

Back