• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore hocky wocks...

jordanrose

Warren Scout
Just given my two a quick check over and noticed they both have quite sore hocks- Gaga's, especially, are quite scabby :(

They're outdoor buns with free range of the back yard when I'm out with them. This consists of concrete slabs, and there's no way of turfing it, so I'm not overly surprised their hocks are sore.

Anyhoo, I was wondering what to put on them to soothe them? At the shelter, we just use sudocrem- which is fine!- but is there anything specifically designed for treating poorly bunny feets? Don't want to let them get any worse!

Awww bless them - sudocrem is the best stuff, but if its infected they may need to see the vet - do they have carpet in their shed? carpet can cause it too xx

Awww bless them - sudocrem is the best stuff, but if its infected they may need to see the vet - do they have carpet in their shed? carpet can cause it too xx

I was thinking of just using Sudocrem- it's magic cream! :p They have a couple of carpet tiles in the shed- that, mixed with concrete won't have helped!

They don't look infected at all- no weeping or swelling, just very red. Poor hockies :( I'll try and keep on top of them with Sudocrem, and will get them to the vet if they get any worse.

This will be fun :shock: :lol:

My two live in a large hutch and attached run on concrete (and a massive carpet tile inside the hutch) and don't have sore hocks at all :?

I shouldn't think you should have a problem in that kind of environment unless you had rex's.......

My foster bunny has had sore hocks when she came into rescue, but she was overweight and artritic and after losing some weight and going onto pain relief they have got a lot better - might be the case for a vet trip as I've heard buns can get sore hocks due to pain/arthritis and shifting their weight onto the hocks to try and relieve the pain :(

Have you seen a product called healx soother cream?it is recommended for sore hocks I have never used it my self but have used there booster product x

Angel and bailey get sore hocks.
Angel is a rew lionhead and bailey is a mini rex.
I use flamizine on the hocks.
Angels has been worse than baileys so currently she is on metacam as they mist be a bit sore and she's on antibiotics to ensure it doesn't become infected.
I also changed their set up recently so they have a ferplast cage with a deep bed of hay.
And fleeceys down on the ground for them.
Its been really helping :)

A good grade colloidial silver will help to prevent infection & won't flatten the surrounding fur like a cream does.

It's the usual thing of ensuring the nails are the right length, & they need a surface to hop on with more "give" in it. maybe a deep bed of hay in the hutch & stable matting for the run.

Back