PDA

View Full Version : Cage is here!

PinkBun
24-01-2013, 04:53 PM
AND IT'S MASSIVE, Will get photo's later:)

Thank you!:thumb: :wave:

Kermit
24-01-2013, 04:56 PM
Yayyyy! Will be checking back later for pics x

wendle
24-01-2013, 04:57 PM
Hi Pinkbun did you get Snowy plenty of hay :thumb:

PinkBun
24-01-2013, 04:59 PM
Hi Pinkbun did you get Snowy plenty of hay :thumb:

:censored: I completely forgot!!! :oops: :oops:
I'm sorry!! I'll ask if mum's going into town later!! Sorry!

Kermit
24-01-2013, 05:02 PM
:censored: I completely forgot!!! :oops: :oops:
I'm sorry!! I'll ask if mum's going into town later!! Sorry!

Really.....No way, how could you forget hay for days?! It is the single most important thing.

PinkBun
24-01-2013, 05:04 PM
Really.....No way, how could you forget hay for days?! It is the single most important thing.

I don't know, i'm sorry, I completely forgot. I'm sorry!

Hele
24-01-2013, 05:09 PM
I don't know, i'm sorry, I completely forgot. I'm sorry!

If she hasn't had any hay in days you are lucky she isn't in stasis! Could you go out and cut some grass for her? If she's not used to it then she can't have much but it will be better than nothing.

Please please get some hay today, it is meant to be over 80% of her diet!

PinkBun
24-01-2013, 05:11 PM
If she hasn't had any hay in days you are lucky she isn't in stasis! Could you go out and cut some grass for her? If she's not used to it then she can't have much but it will be better than nothing.

Please please get some hay today, it is meant to be over 80% of her diet!

I'm sorry, i'm really sorry, she never really ate it when I had it and I keep forgetting, i'm sorry i'll go find some grass xx:oops:

elmoandfern
24-01-2013, 05:14 PM
very excited to see photos! what does snowy eat when she doesnt have hay? too many pellets can do more harm than good :(

PinkBun
24-01-2013, 05:15 PM
very excited to see photos! what does snowy eat when she doesnt have hay? too many pellets can do more harm than good :(

She has a rabbit food and pellets on a morning and night and on a morning, she has a carrot, apple and some lettuce.. :oops:

Snow-White
24-01-2013, 05:15 PM
I'm sorry, i'm really sorry, she never really ate it when I had it and I keep forgetting, i'm sorry i'll go find some grass xx:oops:

please be carefull with fresh grass if she isnt used to it it may give her a bad tummy.
Where do you live maybe somone could get a bag of hay over to you.
Hay is what keeps their teeth short and their guts moving. your Very lucky if she hasn't gone into stasis!

PinkBun
24-01-2013, 05:18 PM
please be carefull with fresh grass if she isnt used to it it may give her a bad tummy.
Where do you live maybe somone could get a bag of hay over to you.
Hay is what keeps their teeth short and their guts moving. your Very lucky if she hasn't gone into stasis!

No, I can't take anymore things from people.
I'll try and get some hay! Just trying to persuade mum!

Bink
24-01-2013, 05:23 PM
She has a rabbit food and pellets on a morning and night and on a morning, she has a carrot, apple and some lettuce.. :oops:

Hey PinkBun,

Sounds like those foods might be a bit of a sugar hit - try not to overdo the carrot and apple. Also not sure what lettuce you are feeding but they shouldn't have iceberg lettuce - romaine lettuce is good. :wave:

x

Aly&Poppy<3
24-01-2013, 05:23 PM
I would avoid the carrots, they are full of sugar which might be why she isn't eating much hay. Carrots and apple really should be a treat. What kind of lettuce? If it's ice burg lettuce that shouldn't be fed to rabbits, it's very watery.

I<3Rabbits
24-01-2013, 05:25 PM

She's probably not eating hay because your giving her too much pellets :D about an egg cup full is enough:thumb: and your sound not give lettuce :? isn't bad and can give rabbits Diarrhea!

elmoandfern
if her diet is 80% hay it will be much cheaper for you to feed her, as you will only have to give her a small amount of pellets a day :D a bag lasts me well over a month

PinkBun
It's not iceburg lettuce I read up that it was bad for rabbits, it's just plain lettuce!
I give her carrots to grind her teeth down, i'm sorry :oops:

elmoandfern
24-01-2013, 05:27 PM
It's not iceburg lettuce I read up that it was bad for rabbits, it's just plain lettuce!

hay is much much better for keeping the teeth down :) dont apologise!

I<3Rabbits
24-01-2013, 05:28 PM

I'm not sure carrots grind teeth down :? Hay should be provided to keep the teeth healthy:thumb:

PinkBun
24-01-2013, 05:29 PM
hay is much much better for keeping the teeth down :) dont apologise!

I'm killing her aren't I? If I don't get hay she'll die, and mum won't take me to town x I'm sorry, I'm really sorry :oops:

I<3Rabbits
24-01-2013, 05:31 PM
I'm killing her aren't I? If I don't get hay she'll die, and mum won't take me to town x I'm sorry, I'm really sorry :oops:

Calm down :love: just go and fetch her a hand full of grass ( but not to much, if she's not used to it ) then tomorrow trie and get a bag of hay.

PinkBun
24-01-2013, 05:31 PM
Calm down :love: just go ad
Nd fetch her a hand full of grass ( but not to much, if she's not used to it ) then tomorrow trie and get a bag of hay.

Already done, she has some grass now. I feel awful :oops:

I<3Rabbits
24-01-2013, 05:34 PM
Already done, she has some grass now. I feel awful :oops:
We have all felt like that. I made a big mistake with hay and accommodation when I first got acorn.

PinkBun
24-01-2013, 05:34 PM
We have all felt like that. I made a big mistake with hay and accommodation when I first got acorn.

It's embarrassing, I should have known better!

elmoandfern
24-01-2013, 05:40 PM
It's embarrassing, I should have known better!

but now you do! thats the important thing :thumb:

PS please dont forget snowy photos....

PinkBun
24-01-2013, 05:41 PM
but now you do! thats the important thing :thumb:

PS please dont forget snowy photos....

I won't forget :) They may be later though as phone camera is broken!! :/
I now know!! :wave: thanks all :oops:

Jackaroonie
24-01-2013, 06:05 PM
Is there not a supermarket you could walk to ? They do hay , how much pellets is she getting? Rabbits don't need veg at all really , hay is what they need x

Lady Logamorph
24-01-2013, 06:15 PM
Hi PinkBun glad you have got your cage now :thumb:

We all made mistakes with bunnies I gave mine the cereal food and he got fly strike and didn't recover even after hours of veterinary treatment and its probably because he had a rubbish diet caused by me :cry: I still feel guilty now and it was years ago.

Now mine get a small amount of pellets in the morning and evening plus small amounts of veg - spring greens, celery leaves, small bits of carrots, curly cale, cauliflour leaves depending what I have in and the rest is just hay which makes up the most of their diet. Now I know what I'm doing is right and its all we can do it the best we can to make them the healthiest and happiest we can.

Do you have a local pet shop or supermarket you could walk to, if not then try and get some tomorrow?

Will your mum order you some online from hay4pets?

PinkBun
24-01-2013, 06:27 PM
No supermarket is miles away, i'll get some tomorrow for sure!!
Sorry about your rabbit xx

mini lop1
24-01-2013, 06:39 PM
as youve probrably learned from posts hay is the main part of rabbit diet, they need fibre for digestion and to help wear their molars down, carrots won;t help wear down rabbit molars, they need only a small amount of pellets (egg cup full some people feed) then the rest of the diet should be hay based with veg/greens as treats, mine have this for supper

please try and get your mum to get some hay asap, in the long run it will be better as hopefully prevent tooth overgrowth, spurs and help keep digestive trac moving, hay is better then huge vet bills for dentals, although not all buns are lucky enough and stll have to have dentals despite having great diets, its how they have been bred

also as posted in your other thread i wouldnt feed grass from outdoors that may have been froozen and your rabbit is an ndoor bun so it may upset there tummy

have you any fresh herbs you can offer your bunny for now

PinkBun
24-01-2013, 06:41 PM
as youve probrably learned from posts hay is the main part of rabbit diet, they need fibre for digestion and to help wear their molars down, carrots won;t help wear down rabbit molars, they need only a small amount of pellets (egg cup full some people feed) then the rest of the diet should be hay based with veg/greens as treats, mine have this for supper

please try and get your mum to get some hay asap, in the long run it will be better as hopefully prevent tooth overgrowth, spurs and help keep digestive trac moving, hay is better then huge vet bills for dentals, although not all buns are lucky enough and stll have to have dentals despite having great diets, its how they have been bred

also as posted in your other thread i wouldnt feed grass from outdoors that may have been froozen and your rabbit is an ndoor bun so it may upset there tummy

have you any fresh herbs you can offer your bunny for now

She's eaten the grass :oops:
But I will be getting some hay tomorrow xo

mini lop1
24-01-2013, 06:44 PM
you may fnd this page useful for info http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/grass-hay.asp

tamsin ie admin from the forum created it :wave:

PinkBun
24-01-2013, 06:46 PM
you may fnd this page useful for info http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/grass-hay.asp

tamsin ie admin from the forum created it :wave:

Thank you! :wave:

wendle
24-01-2013, 07:23 PM

What type of lettuce do u give snowy :wave: please please please get snowy some hayyyyyyyy :)

Snow-White
24-01-2013, 07:46 PM
No, I can't take anymore things from people.
I'll try and get some hay! Just trying to persuade mum!

Oh honey your young and its not easy trying to persuade parents that you know better.
(big hugs to you)
try getting her to order some off line tell here you read the hay from "the hay experts" is ment to be super yummy for bunnies and much cheaper than smaller bags.
Maybe print off some information to show her your researching?

If you need help The forum is here for exactly that.
xxxxxx

bethepoet
24-01-2013, 08:11 PM
Point out to your mum that hay is a cheap diet - I imagine you're going through pellets/museli quite swiftly if you're feeding her that amount each day. You can bulk buy online or from local farms etc, and a bale will last one rabbit at least a month, if not more. That's all she really needs, so if you set aside some money for a regular order each month, even if you run into money difficulties later on you know she's not going to starve because she has a nice big bale of hay in the house. Pellets are a nice add on (mainly for our benefit, I think!) and a medium sized bag can last you a few weeks if you get her down to an eggcup a day - again, saving you money. As for veg, again not a massive part of the diet, so maybe every so often you could go to your local supermarket and have a look at the reduced stuff, get her a bag of herbs or something as a treat (I got some coriander tonight for 34p!).

As well as being good for them, a mainly hay diet is quite good for the wallet too!

I<3Rabbits
24-01-2013, 08:18 PM
Well I have been doing some research and I have found hay suppliers in/near skipton. It works out a lot cheaper as well buying in bulk :thumb: here's a web link, some of them don't have websites but have phone numbers so if your not sure just give them a ring about prices etc.
http://www.yell.com/s/hay+and+straw+suppliers-skipton.html
Also here hay for pets :D
http://www.hayforpets.co.uk/

Tonya
24-01-2013, 08:19 PM
oh dear don't freak out! it'll be ok :) We all are forgetful and distracted sometimes :love:
hugs to Snowy

wendle
24-01-2013, 08:43 PM
We are only trying to help Pinkbun and snowy also he hasn't had any hay for about 3 days now tho

Tonya
24-01-2013, 09:12 PM
yup I know :)
But it seemed to me that she freaked out a little:D

And to Pinkbun-since my bun isn't a hay eater at all and I have to be inventive in order to make her eat enough leafy things, I give her parsley, fennel, dill, mint - those things you may have at home:)

silverrabbit
25-01-2013, 01:12 AM
Hope you manage to get some hay ASAP... just to let you know that around here (I know you live somewhere different) a rabbit dental is 290. If you don't give hay to Snowy all day every day, you could be paying that every couple of months!

Jaysmonkey
25-01-2013, 11:06 AM
Hi Pinkbun, so happy the cage and pen are there now. If I'd have known you had no hay I'd have bought some to send with those items :( x

Jaysmonkey
25-01-2013, 12:33 PM
Hi, Wendle and I (wendle mainly :love::love:she contributed 10, I contributed 6) have ordered you a 9.5kg bag of Meadow Hay from HayforPets. Snowy needs hay xx

Bunny Buddy
25-01-2013, 12:38 PM
Hi, Wendle and I (wendle mainly :love::love:she contributed 10, I contributed 6) have ordered you a 9.5kg bag of Meadow Hay from HayforPets. Snowy needs hay xx

Great news. You beat me to posting

PinkBun - I'm heading to Grassington in about an hours time, I'm going to be there for about 4 hours (weather pemitting!). I have put a big bag of hay in my car, mainly from a bale but also some Timothy hay and Orchard grass. If you can get to Grassington/want me to divert a couple of miles and bring it to you then let post on here and we can organise it. (I can nip out of work for a few minutes at a few minutes notice).

Jaysmonkey
25-01-2013, 12:57 PM

PinkBun - I'm heading to Grassington in about an hours time, I'm going to be there for about 4 hours (weather pemitting!). I have put a big bag of hay in my car, mainly from a bale but also some Timothy hay and Orchard grass. If you can get to Grassington/want me to divert a couple of miles and bring it to you then let post on here and we can organise it. (I can nip out of work for a few minutes at a few minutes notice).

Aww bless you :love::love:

Rosie-Lil
25-01-2013, 01:39 PM
I've read the previous thread and think it's very kind of people to do this.
I sincerely hope your mum starts to think more of the animals welfare from seeing how urgent others deem it to be, then their efforts won't be in vain.

catherine09
25-01-2013, 01:42 PM

I've been watching this thread with interest. I can't believe the generosity of some people on this forum :love:

I do worry, however, that the OP, having already forgotten to buy Snowy hay which is the single most important thing, and also ignoring other advice a few weeks ago, will not continue to upkeep the standard of care that Jaysmonkey and Wendle have financed for Snowy. Who will buy the hay the next time around - or remind the OP to buy hay? It's lovely to buy the OP a cage and pen but when the generosity migrates to buying essential supplies...:?

Sorry to put a bit of a downer on this thread, it's not against the wonderful people who have been so generous, it's just a worry that I'm sure a lot of people have had reading this thread (or perhaps nobody has and I'm just a miserable serious :censored: ;))

PinkBun - I hope you don't take what I've said the wrong way, it was written with the best intentions for Snowy

Rosie-Lil
25-01-2013, 01:56 PM
I've been watching this thread with interest. I can't believe the generosity of some people on this forum :love:

I do worry, however, that the OP, having already forgotten to buy Snowy hay which is the single most important thing, and also ignoring other advice a few weeks ago, will not continue to upkeep the standard of care that Jaysmonkey and Wendle have financed for Snowy. Who will buy the hay the next time around - or remind the OP to buy hay? It's lovely to buy the OP a cage and pen but when the generosity migrates to buying essential supplies...:?

Sorry to put a bit of a downer on this thread, it's not against the wonderful people who have been so generous, it's just a worry that I'm sure a lot of people have had reading this thread (or perhaps nobody has and I'm just a miserable serious :censored: ;))

PinkBun - I hope you don't take what I've said the wrong way, it was written with the best intentions for Snowy

You aren't miserable. I've personally felt this through reading the threads however my concern is more with the fact her mum really doesn't seem to support the fact that she has animals. There is a time that the OP will have to start financing things and remembering herself as it doesn't seem likely that she'll be getting help from those at home. I know at 16 things aren't all that straight forward but that is what caring for an animal entails, it brings us back to the age old argument of thinking before you buy. Only time will tell though and it still takes nothing away from the fantastic generosity that has been shown.

ripminnie
25-01-2013, 03:00 PM
I've been thinking this myself :( Pink's mum doesn't seem to care at all
:( but Pinkbun, you need to start taking some responsibility , you can't be forgetting that Snowy needs hay! X

Georgeypudding
25-01-2013, 03:06 PM
I personally think Pinkbun is doing really well, I've run out of hay before and forgotten to buy more while I'm out :roll: thankfully I can drive so not an issue.

Keep up the good work! Snowy is very lucky :)

Jaysmonkey
25-01-2013, 03:10 PM

You're not miserable. I had the same worry too. xx

megansmummy
25-01-2013, 03:10 PM
I seem to have missed all of this but im guessing forum members have bought a cage, pen and now hay for someone else's rabbit? Very kind of them but I hope it is appreciated and that this member will keep it up for snowys sake.

dizzyg
25-01-2013, 03:21 PM
I seem to have missed all of this but im guessing forum members have bought a cage, pen and now hay for someone else's rabbit? Very kind of them but I hope it is appreciated and that this member will keep it up for snowys sake.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

PinkBun
25-01-2013, 03:56 PM

Thank you for the offer only just got the message, I have bought two bags of hay from Yorkshire Trading, Thank you though hun! X

PinkBun
25-01-2013, 03:58 PM

Nono! I have hay!! Cancel the order please, I look like i'm freeloading, she has hay now xxx

wendle
25-01-2013, 03:59 PM

Aww that's so kind at least Snowy will get hay :love:

sazzy
25-01-2013, 04:00 PM
Thank you for the offer only just got the message, I have bought two bags of hay from Yorkshire Trading, Thank you though hun! X

Plenty of hay for snowy :thumb:

wendle
25-01-2013, 04:00 PM
Nono! I have hay!! Cancel the order please, I look like i'm freeloading, she has hay now xxx

Can we see snowy with her blue tray full of hay nommin away :love::love:

PinkBun
25-01-2013, 04:01 PM
I feel like i'm freeloading!! Honestly, use the hay for yourselves, I will keep up Snowy's care xxx

sazzy
25-01-2013, 04:02 PM
Awww hunni people want to help you have not asked for any of this everyone has done it off there own backs

wendle
25-01-2013, 04:03 PM
I feel like i'm freeloading!! Honestly, use the hay for yourselves, I will keep up Snowy's care xxx

The hay is already on its way :wave: ya not freeloading at all we wanted to send hay for snowy :love: let's see a photo go snowy nommin his new hay :love::love:

Georgeypudding
25-01-2013, 04:03 PM

Before I started buying bales of hay I used to make sure I either had a carrier bag or a small bag of hay tucked away so that if I managed to run out there was enough to last over night :thumb: only works if you can remember where you put it though :lol:

PinkBun
25-01-2013, 04:04 PM
Thank you for your advice all, i'm still trying to fix my phone, anybody know how to fix a blackberry camera? x

natsusakura
25-01-2013, 06:44 PM
what's your camera doing?
Just make sure when you go shopping with yer mam that hay is always on the list, or have a day that you get it from the farm.
I always buy extra hay when i'm out shopping, as they go through it so fast and sometimes i'm not well enough to get out :oops: So I always make sure I pick up a bag extra when I am well enough to get out xxx

Kayaksteph
25-01-2013, 07:04 PM
Oh pinkbun I think you are having a hard time. I have only Lola for 2 months and I have learned so much off of here. Please please speak to your mum. Please let her know that you need help. If you can do favours around the house to help. Hope it helps. :thumb:

PinkBun
25-01-2013, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone!! I'm talking to her but she's very stubborn!

CookieCrisp
25-01-2013, 07:19 PM
Aw sweet it must be so difficult. Do you get an allowance?

PinkBun
25-01-2013, 07:20 PM
Aw sweet it must be so difficult. Do you get an allowance?

No, I don't.
I had a job starting tomorrow but got told today not to bother going in as there's no work :/ x

CookieCrisp
25-01-2013, 07:22 PM
that's great of them isn't it. What does your mum say when you mention hay?

PinkBun
25-01-2013, 07:24 PM
that's great of them isn't it. What does your mum say when you mention hay?

She knows I have some ! And I reminded her of Snowy NEEDING it :)

CookieCrisp
25-01-2013, 07:26 PM
snowy will learn to eat it and enjoy.When I needed mine to eat more I cut out the pellets. They look at you as if your starving them but then they find hay.

PinkBun
25-01-2013, 07:28 PM
snowy will learn to eat it and enjoy.When I needed mine to eat more I cut out the pellets. They look at you as if your starving them but then they find hay.

I hope she eats it, No veg, a few pellets and hay! X

CookieCrisp
25-01-2013, 07:32 PM
If you are near a market you can ask for greens they don't want. Usually people don't want the green tops of carrots and bunnies love them

Mischief and Tinker's Mum
25-01-2013, 07:57 PM
I hope she eats it, No veg, a few pellets and hay! X

Yay you're doing great! :thumb: Maybe reduce the amount of pellets slowly as not to upset her tummy as she wont be used to it. :)

So kind of JM and Wendle. :love: You will be all stocked up now. :D

Still not seen pics of this cage! :p xx

I<3Rabbits
25-01-2013, 08:06 PM
Yay you're doing great! :thumb: Maybe reduce the amount of pellets slowly as not to upset her tummy as she wont be used to it. :)

So kind of JM and Wendle. :love: You will be all stocked up now. :D

Still not seen pics of this cage! :p xx

Sadly the camera on her phone is broken :cry:

PinkBun
25-01-2013, 08:31 PM
Sorry blackberry's are so rubbish!! :/

LittleEskimo
26-01-2013, 12:05 AM
Don't worry, Just as long as you remember to get it in the future :wave: with help from the forum you should have a nice supply of hay to keep you going for a bit.

When I was about 11 I got my first rabbit, Thumper. I didn't know anything about their needs and how they needed hay. I thought it was a different type of bedding, like straw. So they got it sometimes for their bedding, but not often enough. Thumper lived with my guinea pig too. Anyway about 2 years later he started having blood in his droppings and my mum took him to the vets. Turned out the spurs that were growing on his back teeth had given his absceses and stuff. The vets tried to give him a dental but he didn't wake up. The thought of him suffering like he did sends me into tears even to this day and I can never forgive myself for as long as I live for letting that happen to him.

I am not trying to scare you or anything, just please don't let that happen to Snowy. Make your mum understand that it is important Snowy gets hay. Even if she complains about the mess, like my mum does, just tell her it is better then having to pay for dental every couple of months.