• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A Sad Request for Advice

pipkoi

Alpha Buck
Sailor has been battling with his health overall for about 18 months. For the majority if this time he has been well but last November when at the vets we had the "last chance" discussion with the vets. He bounced back again, but each time never gets back to where he was.
Sadly he has been losing weight for a while, though still eating well. He is becoming less & less mobile & he is constantly in a mess around his bottom & back legs which we manage well - no broken skin & hair kept very short and weekly washes & dries - the drying bit he loves!
Now for my questions
We feel that we need to have another talk to the vet & in our heart of hearts, know the outcome:cry::cry:
He is bonded to Foxy & they normally always go to the vets together
Should she go with Sailor the final time? We will bringing him home & laying him to rest in his favourite spot in the garden. How do we manage Foxy when he passes? Di we leave them together for some time?
Any advice & direction would be very welcomed
Thanks

I would take the together and let Foxy stay with him for some time so that he realises that she has gone..I'm not sure how long for though as I have never done this before. I am so sorry you are having to go through this..it must be so heartbreaking :cry:

So sorry that Sailor is struggling :cry:

I would take them together. We did this when we took Sid to the vets for the last time - we got Poppy out of the carrier once he was asleep. I think we only let her be with him for ten mins or so (would have liked longer really - but we were leaving him at the vets) but I think it definitely helped Poppy to understand what was going on.

I should think the vets will be able to advise you on bringing him home - I'm sorry I don't have any advice in that respect.

Sending you lots of love, and vibes for both Sailor and Foxy xxxx

I just wanted to say that I'm really sorry that you are heading towards this decision. Hope Sailor rallies but if not, hope Foxy is okay.

I'm so sorry :cry: i would take Foxy too. If you're going to bring Sailor home, i would let Foxy be with him until she leaves him alone, then you'll know she understands that he's gone :( i think usually they groom them for a bit then hop away. Sending hugs xxx

I went to the vet with just Roxy and brought her home so Alvin could understand.

Xxx

This is what I would do too. It will give Foxy a chance to understand and say goodbye in the comfort of their home rather than with the stress of the vets.

I'm so sorry you're having to think about this :cry:

Sailor has been battling with his health overall for about 18 months. For the majority if this time he has been well but last November when at the vets we had the "last chance" discussion with the vets. He bounced back again, but each time never gets back to where he was.
Sadly he has been losing weight for a while, though still eating well. He is becoming less & less mobile & he is constantly in a mess around his bottom & back legs which we manage well - no broken skin & hair kept very short and weekly washes & dries - the drying bit he loves!
Now for my questions
We feel that we need to have another talk to the vet & in our heart of hearts, know the outcome:cry::cry:
He is bonded to Foxy & they normally always go to the vets together
Should she go with Sailor the final time? We will bringing him home & laying him to rest in his favourite spot in the garden. How do we manage Foxy when he passes? Di we leave them together for some time?
Any advice & direction would be very welcomed
Thanks

Sorry, I can't answer your question about the best way for the pair to part - I've never had to think about it as the only time I've had to have a rabbit pts she was already widowed.

And sorry that I haven't been on the forum for a while so I don't know Sailor's story - what has he been diagnosed with and treated for? Has he been prescribed panacur?

Whatever the outcome, I wish you all the best. It is always an awful decision to have to make.

Back