• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter suggestions - please help

KRA_MiniLops

New Kit
Hi, I would like to start off saying hi as I am new on here and this is my 2nd post.

I was hoping for some advice/recommendations.

A couple of my rabbits are very wet bunnies and I find that unless I clean most of the main compartment daily (becoming expensive) then the urine leaks out the front. I have tried wood shavings and nedzbeds (higher absorbency cut straw) to try and soak it up but neither working.
I have decided to change to a litter tray (to stop it leaking out an also messing the rest of the cage up) but need something very absorbent to use in it. I am planning to clean it out daily but don't want it to smell or make my bunnies feet wet.

Someone suggested to use megazorb but finding a local stockist is proving difficult so if I don't manage to locate one does anyone else know of anything else just as good but more easily available?

your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

What litter tray have you got now that it leaks?

Doughnut has the recycled paper, Catolet or something like that. Her litter tray doesn't smell. I clean it out daily. The tray is on newspaper so if she wees over the tray I change the newspaper as well. I put a lot of hay in her litter tray for her to eat and she normally spreads this over the litter and sits on it and pees on it too!

I use aubiose or hemcore ( it is a deep litter horse bedding but ideal for buns). It is very absorbent and draws the urine down to the bottom and the top layer stays dry. But I still change it every 2-3 days.

What litter tray have you got now that it leaks?

Doughnut has the recycled paper, Catolet or something like that. Her litter tray doesn't smell. I clean it out daily. The tray is on newspaper so if she wees over the tray I change the newspaper as well. I put a lot of hay in her litter tray for her to eat and she normally spreads this over the litter and sits on it and pees on it too!

They haven't got a litter tray yet they just have about 1cm of shavings then 1cm of nedzbeds in all the main part of their outdoor hutches.
Which litter tray would you recommend to use also? Thank you

I think you will find it a lot cleaner when you get one. There are lots of plastic ones in pet shops or pets at home. I would get a large rectangular one where they can sit in and eat their hay so it will encourage them to poop there and so easier to clean. They aren't expensive.

I also use wood pellet cat litter, I get mine from the Range. I just put a layer of that in the litter trays and top with hay. It's really absorbent and less smelly than wood shavings. For my litter trays iv used potting trays u can get from garden centres. I find they're stronger and larger than cat trays and my really big ones are the type with a low front and high back, very practical and not very expensive! I think a lot of people also use low plastic storage boxes too.

I can't recommend megazorb enough - Tia has always had a bit of a rattly chest - and we used to use wood based cat litter from p@h but it just wasn't soaking up the wee good enough, and like I say, Tia's chest was rattly..... We switched to megazorb and its the best thing we've ever done bunny wise.... It is amazing at absorbing the wee and keeps the smell down, and her rattly chest has gone (first time in 2 years!) We ahve two corner litter trays (from p@h) and change them every other day in winter, every day in summer - we put hay on top of the megazorb (we just buy easypack hay from local supplier, its about £4 for a big bag)...

You can buy megazorb online too. :D I used to get mine from here. http://www.gjwtitmuss.co.uk/horse-b...rn-crop-driers-megazorb-bedding-85-litres.asp Shipping is £7 but you can buy 2 bags & still pay the same delivery charge, so it doesn't work out much dearer than buying locally - I pay £8 something per bag from my local farm shop. You could try starting a thread too "Looking for megazorb supplier in ....... " as somebody local may know. Have you tried local equine places/stables/farm shops?

I use Megazorb too. I order it online and even with shipping costs it works out much better value than anything I've been able to buy locally. I normally buy it from the Hay Experts - www.thehayexperts.co.uk - but the place above looks like it might be slightly cheaper.

Due to balance and strength my indoor bun lives on vet bed/ profleece. He also has a litter tray with the vet bed /profleece lined with a bit of newspaper. I tried carefresh but this went everywhere and was not sturdy enough for him but it was really absorbent. My outdoor buns have a litter tray also, they have some woodshavings in theirs.the type of tray we tend to use looks a bit like the type of tray you get at school.

Due to balance and strength my indoor bun lives on vet bed/ profleece. He also has a litter tray with the vet bed /profleece lined with a bit of newspaper. I tried carefresh but this went everywhere and was not sturdy enough for him but it was really absorbent. My outdoor buns have a litter tray also, they have some woodshavings in theirs.the type of tray we tend to use looks a bit like the type of tray you get at school.

I use Biocatolet, you can even get it from sainsburies and pets at home etc.. Its just made from recycled paper. It was great even when Leila was ill and unable to move. Really absorbs odours and wetness

i also use the wooden cat pellets from pets at home or megazorb then a layer of straw then a big bunch of hay

i brought the biggest cat litter tray from pets at home you be so glad when you have a litter tray its amazing rabbits are so easy to litter train they like be clean...

On a related note how often do you clear out the trays completely? Every day or every other day? More? Do you just top up the hay every day? I've gone with the cat litter wood pellets from Pets at Home too, seems to be quite effective.

Newspaper at bottom, wood pellets then hay on top.

Back