• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with storing hay!

Jackaroonie

Mama Doe
Hi everyone basically I am having a bit of hay trouble at the moment, I normally get £2 Large bale from the farm in the village and the only place I can store is in a metal shed which obviously they are not great and I had been storing it wrongly, just had it sat on the concrete floor and then noticed it was quite damp and had a 'off' kind of smell. I don't know if this was down to me storing it wrong or because when the bale was dropped off it was raining and it got pretty wet. :/ anyway I really need to get another bale now, seen a large one for a tenner in the local garden centre that is dry how can i store it without it going 'off' shall i as soon as i get it bag it up in black bin bags? help is greatly appreciated :)

I've been storing my bale in bin bags and plastic boxes, I didn't really realize quite how big it would be so its dotted all over the shed in bin bags but it seems to be ok, and it was raining when I got it so it seems to be ok considering :)

I store mine now in wheely bins as where I moved to is next to a burn and fields and well I was getting wee visitor who my cat loves bringing home to me

Wheelie bins, or those metal bins are both good ideas to store hay in, also know a few people who put them in big bags, anything that can keep the rain off really xxx

Back