• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do indoor rabbits actually smell?

jazxo

Mama Doe
I have had Pippin inside for a few days in the past after an operation and it didn't smell at all because I cleaned up after her several times a day.
Do you ever smell bad smells from having your buns indoors? Be honest as I'm hoping to prove someone wrong.

Not at all, Poppy only smells occasionally but that's because of her diet, she needs help cleaning her bum, after that it's fine :)

What exactly is it that smells? The rabbit? Their poo? Their wee?

If one smells there could be probably a problem and you may need a vet.

What exactly is it that smells? The rabbit? Their poo? Their wee?

If one smells there could be probably a problem and you may need a vet.

Nooo she doesn't smell. I suggested my rabbit moving inside and my step dad (and his old fashion views) says they smell and despite me saying they don't smell if you clean regularly still insists that having a rabbit inside will smell.

I don't think they do, Boris lives in my room, and I've had all mine inside at some point. Boris himself smells lovely I think :oops::lol: His hay smells lovely too, and I can't smell his poo/wee unless I don't change his litter tray for like 3 days and even then only smells a little bit when I'm very close to it.

I don't think they do, Boris lives in my room, and I've had all mine inside at some point. Boris himself smells lovely I think :oops::lol: His hay smells lovely too, and I can't smell his poo/wee unless I don't change his litter tray for like 3 days and even then only smells a little bit when I'm very close to it.

Don't worry, I love having a good sniff of Pippin :lol: she smells like new teddy bears! It's lovely. Thank you for your reply!

I can't smell anything except when I empty litter trays every 2-3 days. (but I do that outside) aubious & hemcore is very good for keeping smell locked in. Only thing that does smell is the hay & ready grass, which I think is a nice smell anyway! Only time a bun will smell is if it is an un-nuetered buck. And that's easily fixed. Or if a bun has a mucky bum, but that can be fixed with changing diet usually. I'm sure my mum would have told me if they smelt as she isn't the most tactful of people...OH said my house smells like a zoo...but I think he was kidding :lol:

Not if you clean them once/twice a day with white vinegar and totally change their litterbox daily. :)

AMETHYST

Dee's inside and she only smells when her littertray gets to a certain point of need-for-emptying which doesn't happen that often as I clean it out every 5-7 days!:)

Honestly, the only smell is of hay.

The only exception is when I'm changing the litter there is a slight smell of wee as I'm moving it around which clears the minute I've taken the bag out of the room.

The only time I have a problem with a smell is if one has had too much rich stuff and is over producing cecals but that is very rare now. I change their box every other day and they don't even smell when I empty them.

Nope they dont smell and I don't do litter trays daily or anything.

Well I say they don't smell... That depends on whether or not you think hay smells particularly bad, I can smell hay when I go into a room with a bunny in as I buy the lovely Ings hay:love: personally I love hay, if I have anyone coming over who doesn't like hay then I light a mild vanilla candle and even that smell goes! :thumb:

Sometimes parsley does a poo and you get a whiff of poo.
Ross is convinced he pumps. :lol:
The only other time is when you clean the litter tray out when it gets tipped into the bag.
My family always say my house smells of rabbit when they come over, I asked what it smelled like they said hay.
:)

Never had a bad smell in our room until Oliver came along. and despite being neutered he still poops everywhere and wees on the rug :roll:

In the interest of fairness, Pudding or his litter tray smell very occasionally (maybe once a fortnight?). It's a bit of an oniony smell and it coincides with him being hormonal. Doesn't last long and I assume it'll stop when he's neutered!

Back