• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cooped up

Alicia

Mama Doe
I went on a college trip today for my farm lessons and the teacher was talking about how the farm animals often feel cooped up in their pens which means they get bored and frustrated. It made me think of my bunnies, they have a 6ft hutch and 6ft x 4ft run but they rarely leave it. They used to free range anymore but I find it difficult to catch them and it stresses them out so I don't do that now and they sometimes come in the house but since the weathers got so bad I don't want them inside because even with the heating off the temperatures still different and they've got nice thick winter coats I don't want it to be too hot for them. They get new/different toys in their hutch but do you think they're frustrated/bored? I really don't want them to feel cooped up I want them to be happy

They have the recommended space and i think as long as they get some enrichment as you've said they do I wouldn't worry. Mine don't run around that much anyway. :)

If you feel they don't have enough space, you could attach a run to their existing one, even if it is just an open-topped pen that you can use with supervision to replace free range time. You should be able to herd them back into the run or a carry-case when its time for them to go in, unlike when they are free-ranging.

We worry because we care. My rabbits have 8x6ft of space, but I don't feel it is enough either. They will have more eventually though.

I think nessar's suggestion is really good.
I had a few run panels in front of my shed that they could run about it, and when I had them consistently going home when told to I expanded the space. I've kept doing this, adding a few panels at a time and at the moment they've got nearly half the garden and still go home when I tell them. Hopefully with time we can just put up panels around the places they shouldn't go.

I worry about my two bunnies!! Frankie and Estelle have the run of THEIR conservatory which is 14' x 8'!!
They have THEIR settee with blankeys, toys, a bespoke bunk bed for bunnies c/o my OH, tunnels, more toys, 2 litter trays.........toys..........

I think we all worry so much because we all love them so much. We just want to provide the very best of everything for them.........and why not! :lol::lol::thumb:

Back