• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How I wish I didn't have to ask this question....

Oompa-Loompa

Warren Veteran
:( but what do you do with a deceased rabbit? What have you all done?

Boris' body is currently being stored in a shed but I have to decide whether to get him cremated or buried :( the latter is impossible now obviously since there's so much snow...so that couldn't happen until spring. I'd rather get it over with asap so I can attempt to move on :(

Any ideas?

I buried Harry I like being able to go out and see him under the tree.

If you're worried about storing Boris would your vet be able to store him until the ground is soft enough to bury him? Harry was stored at the vets for 2 days until I felt able to collect him and bury him.

If Boris is cremated will they return his ashes to you? They always do so in the UK.
I think it's very much a personal choice.
An advantage of cremation is that when you move house, you don't have to leave your deceased pets. Also you can always bury the ashes later if you wish. The disadvantage is cost which can be a very practical consideration.

My bunnies have all been left at the vets after I have kissed them goodbye and tucked them up, until we meet again. xx Sending you love.

Last edited:
I do think cremation would be a good option...but I have 0 faith in my local vets. I bet they'd get the ashes mixed up or something :cry:

Mum keeps saying that she might be moving in a few years time, so I don't like the thought of burying him there :(

Storing his body is not a problem as it's very cold in the shed. If it warms up before things are sorted we have a freezer in the basement :(

How would you go about burying them in a plant pot? Is it as simple as it sounds?

:cry:

There are possibly pet cremation services around if you felt able to pick up the wee mans body and take him there yourself. We'd always opted for cremation through the vet but we recently found there's a place near us that does the cremations a bit cheaper than we paid through the vet.

So sorry about your loss :cry:.

One of my buns had to be pts during one of the recent severe winters in the uk. Although the temperatures were well below freezing, and there was loads of snow, once we dug the snow away the ground was surprisingly soft.

My last bun who passed away was cremated. Could you travel to the crematorium yourself, and wait for the ashes back?

you can ask your vets what crematorium they use and then go direct? Likely be cheaper too :( yes it is as easy as it sounds, get a large pot put some soil in, place Boris inside either in a box or just by himself and then put more soil over him, a plant and then pack some more soil around the plant :love:

I've had Roxy cremated, I think I might have just buried her but we're moving in 3 month and I want to take her with me. Xx

When my last dog died I was quoted £120 for a private cremation through the vets, he was a foster dog and the rescue were happy to pay but it seemed like such a lot of money that could help other dogs:? I googled the companies and there was two locally and going through them directly (and paying cash) saved a third of that:oops: The guy was really kind as well.

I will use the same company now for all of the pets when the time comes.

In the past when growing up they have all been buried at my parents, even when I moved out my last two went back home to there too. There is no room there now, and I don't want to stay in this house forever so need to find someone who will cremate locally. I did look once or twice but put it to the back of my mind. I wish I had all my previous buns cremated really so I could take them to wherever I live. I do wonder what will happen if my parents sell their house and downsize as they won't need a 5 bed forever.

Really sorry you lost Boris xxxx

I've always buried rabbits in the past and hope I'm staying in this house for the rest of my days... the idea of leaving Scrappy behind is unthinkable :cry:

I was a bit more organised when Shadow died in June and contacted a local crematorium and it was a really good experience (well, as much as it could be). I've never trusted cremation before but as I went there and I organised it and met the owner of the crem, who was so perfect for her line of work, I felt it was Shadow and only him that I was getting back and it all felt dignified and I won't have to leave him behind if I move. I so regret not doing that with the previous 4.:( She said, "I hope I won't be seeing you for a long time to come", but I will definitely be using their service again.

Ok, I'll look into cremation then. It's really the only option right now as far as I see it...might bury some of his ashes in a plant pot and plant something pretty in it. I always called him my little flower so it'd fit :cry:

I had Yuki cremated as we are in rentals so couldnt bury she is now on the mantle with a memorial.

2CF20DDB-7E1B-4E08-A87A-1BA0ECD2FF3A-10757-00000B3A14106746.jpg

Back