• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RSCPA Hutch Sizes

Daniel

Alpha Buck
What are the new sizes the RSPCA recommend? Someone pointed out that for two medium sized rabbits the height should be 75cm which is around 2.5ft?

The RWAF recommends a minimum hutch size of 6' x 2' x 2', which allows rabbits some room to move, stand on their hind legs and enough space for the food, toilet and sleeping areas to be kept apart. It is commonly accepted that a rabbit should have space for 3 hops, but it is commonly underestimated just how far 3 hops is - our tests show that 3 hops from an average sized rabbit covers 6-7 feet!
A hutch should only be a shelter and not the only living space. It should be attached to a secure run of at least 8' x 4'.
Please bear in mind that these recommendations are all minimums - and like many things in life, bigger is better!
:wave:

The RWAF recommends a minimum hutch size of 6' x 2' x 2', which allows rabbits some room to move, stand on their hind legs and enough space for the food, toilet and sleeping areas to be kept apart. It is commonly accepted that a rabbit should have space for 3 hops, but it is commonly underestimated just how far 3 hops is - our tests show that 3 hops from an average sized rabbit covers 6-7 feet!
A hutch should only be a shelter and not the only living space. It should be attached to a secure run of at least 8' x 4'.
Please bear in mind that these recommendations are all minimums - and like many things in life, bigger is better!

Yes i am aware of that, but the RSPCA recommended for two medium sized rabbits that the height be 2.5ft, therefore the 2ft high hutch is against there welfare recommendations.

Hi Daniel,

Can you let me know where you saw the new recommendation? I foster for my local RSPCA, so we make our own requirements, but I wasn't aware of the new sizes from the main RSPCA. Thanks :)

ETA, I wonder if it was this document that they saw?: http://www.rspca.org.uk/ImageLocator/LocateAsset?asset=document&assetId=1232725725160&mode=prd

It mentions in there that rabbits need 75cm height to stretch up.

Its on http://www.rspca.org.uk/ImageLocator/LocateAsset?asset=document&assetId=1232725725160&mode=prd and few pages down.
Copied form it:

First principles in rabbit housing
As an absolute minimum, each of your rabbits should be able to perform the following
behaviours within the enclosure and shelter at any time they
choose:
1. Stand up on their hind legs without their ears touching
the roof [For a medium sized rabbit this behaviour
requires a height of at least 75cm].
2. Lie fully outstretched in any direction.
3. Take an unhindered sequence of consecutive hops 2.
4. Turn around unimpeded.

Back