• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what do new rabbit owners need to know?

pooks

Warren Scout
Hi everyone,

I'm a vet nurse and looking to hold a rabbit awareness evening (in conjunction with my practice) for our clients and non-clients.

I have been running rabbit clinics for a number of years so have a good idea of what I want to talk about but I was hoping to get some feedback from all of you.

As a new rabbit owner, what would you like to have been told? What have you found out over the months/years of rabbit ownership that you would have wanted to know from the start?

My main topic is going to be diet as many of the health problems we see in practice are dietry related but I would like to include plenty of other information and little nuggets of wisdom!

Many Thanks

Diet, husbandry, handling, vaccination, company and I think probably just how intelligent rabbits are and why a hutch isn't enough etc I do something similar at my practice and people seem to find it really helpful :) good luck with it :)

how incredibly easy to litter train and how it makes keeping bun clean so much better.
rabbits are fairly active very early morning and so houseing really does need to be bigger then one thinks as they are not just using it to sleep in,

Hi everyone,

I'm a vet nurse and looking to hold a rabbit awareness evening (in conjunction with my practice) for our clients and non-clients.

I have been running rabbit clinics for a number of years so have a good idea of what I want to talk about but I was hoping to get some feedback from all of you.

As a new rabbit owner, what would you like to have been told? What have you found out over the months/years of rabbit ownership that you would have wanted to know from the start?

My main topic is going to be diet as many of the health problems we see in practice are dietry related but I would like to include plenty of other information and little nuggets of wisdom!

Many Thanks
Importance of Vaccination, neutering, keeping rabbits together, large covered run attached to hutch, tunnels and toys to occupy and provide exercise.

how incredibly easy to litter train and how it makes keeping bun clean so much better.
rabbits are fairly active very early morning and so houseing really does need to be bigger then one thinks as they are not just using it to sleep in,

Could you come to my house please and train my lot cause they are filthy and ignore any attempts I've made to litter train them?

Importance of buns having friend, neutering, small hutch is not suitable housing, diet (a carrot a day is not suitable nor is a bowl full of hard food filled twice a day), same sex pairs often have problems, rabbits do not mix with guinea pigs, vaccination is essential

As well as Neutering, championship, diet and vaccs, is the amount of space they need to live and play in, nothing annoys me more then people doing everything else correctly then failing to give the bunnies the space they need,

oh and also how to keep bunnies warm during winter months more so for bunnies kept outside, i recently had someone recently tell me her pair of bunnies died overnight 'because they were cold' :roll: there are ways of keeping bunnies warm during the winter but alot dont bother. ALso ways of keeping them cool during the summer :thumb:

Maybe how rabbits can often hide illness well and the sorts of things to look out for. I find alot of new bunny owners don't realise the seriousness of things like not eating.

- How to pick up and hold a rabbit correctly, and how to put them down (so much easier when you know how and you don't end up being accidentally kicked)
- How to check that bottoms are clean and for flystrike
- Not to trance bunnies
- Not to let you bunny in the house during the day then put it out at night (so many people seem to do this!)

Back