• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay wasters!

Thumper98

Warren Scout
Good morning RU!

Just wondering if any of your buns are major hay wasters? My 2 like only a certain brand of hay (lavender meadow hay with real lavender stalks inside!) bought from a certain garden centre. And they will stuff themselves happily with only certain types of plants/grass in there and wont touch the rest! I end up wasting a big portion of it every week because obviously i dont want to starve them till they will end the left overs!

Any suggestions or do i just have environmentally 'unfriendly' bunnies??:roll:

This is exactly what my bun is like - even when I find a hay he likes, he eats half a bag and then decides he doesn't like it and point blank refuses to eat any more of it!

I have a bag of timothy king alfafa at the moment as it's quite green and he usually favours the greener hays but he will only eat certain bits from it.

On the weekend, I spent hours pulling out the bits he likes! He's driving me mad but like you say you can't just leave it as I know mine won't eat it even if it's the last thing there!

I give mine a handful of hay every like 2-4 hours probably. Jack always eats all his hay but Timmy and Ben leave a little bit of theirs usually. So everyday I gather up their left overs and give it to Jack.

Axl and rose don't eat it all here either...they will happily munch on it a few days later though - weirdos
Provided its not soiled I leave it on the floor of the crate and add fresh hay to it....I then pick
It up as mix it all up which seems to fool them into thinking its new! At the end of the week, when they have their full clean out, we collect up all the hay and replace it for new. We keep the old stuff and use it for litter trays over the week.....they happily eat it out of the tray - a week after it's been in their crate!!

Some buns are just funny!

Mine arent too picky when it comes to the brand but they will pull everything out of the holder into their toilet (toilet is under the holder as they just like to eat and poo!) and then they sit on it and just poo on it! I end up throwing so much hay away.

Axl and rose don't eat it all here either...they will happily munch on it a few days later though - weirdos
Provided its not soiled I leave it on the floor of the crate and add fresh hay to it....I then pick
It up as mix it all up which seems to fool them into thinking its new! At the end of the week, when they have their full clean out, we collect up all the hay and replace it for new. We keep the old stuff and use it for litter trays over the week.....they happily eat it out of the tray - a week after it's been in their crate!!

Some buns are just funny!

Wow yours recycle! What good buns! Mine seem to smell if its new or old. Sometimes they will give in and eat some old bits but usually, when they rush for the fresh hay. I compost all that so its not really wasted, but theres just so much of it! And it does mean always having a big supply ready for them and shopping for hay very often.

I wonder if anyone has tried being firm and refusing new hay till a certain percent of the hay portion is consumed?

Mine arent too picky when it comes to the brand but they will pull everything out of the holder into their toilet (toilet is under the holder as they just like to eat and poo!) and then they sit on it and just poo on it! I end up throwing so much hay away.

Speaking of which, i just saw my girl wee into her hay!! Sigh....

I feed fresh hay everyday, but any hay my bunch don't eat I put into their litter trays and 'bedroom' etc. And then it all gets replaced on a weekly bases when I clean everything out :thumb:

Back