• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

"Providing a rabbit with a nutrient-rich diet is detrimental to their health"

youthnovels

Wise Old Thumper
"Providing a rabbit with a nutrient-rich diet is detrimental to their health"

.... a quote directly from my diploma on "Rabbit Care, Behaviour & Welfare". Apparently owners should stick to the nutrient-poor foodstuff that wild rabbits are adapted too.

Hmmmm not sure I 100% agree with that. :?

.... a quote directly from my diploma on "Rabbit Care, Behaviour & Welfare". Apparently owners should stick to the nutrient-poor foodstuff that wild rabbits are adapted too.

Hmmmm not sure I 100% agree with that. :?

I agree with it.

Grass and hay are far better for rabbits than foods that are high in fat and sugar.

I agree too - hay plus forage is much better and resembles a natural rabbit diet. Most of mine do better without all the added extras, with the exception of poorly bunnies.

I agree too - rabbits don't need lots of grains and big piles of veg. They need lots of fibre.

My rabbits diet is mainly hay and dried grass with some pellets as an add on.

Rarely get veg or herbs

Same with the others, haha. That's why they need to eat so much hay, because there's not a lot of good in it.

I agree too, if you feed a bun a nutrient rich diet then they will most likely get fat but also won't eat the amount of hay they need to to keep their guts working and their teeth worn down.

I don't think the quote is suggesting that we should feed a bad diet, just one that is appropriate for the rabbit! So they are not saying that muesli is better than pellet food ect, just that rabbits need large amounts of low nutrient food rather than small amounts of high nutrient food. I've seen cheap bun food with sooo much dried fruit in that it was probably very high in nutrients (especially sugars) there is no way I'd feed it though!

Last edited:
http://www.rabbit.org/care/veggies.html

"An approximate amount to feed would be around 1 packed cup of greens for 2 lbs of rabbit body weight once a day or divided into multiple feedings a day."

My bunny weighs about 6 lbs, so she gets two bowls heaped full of leafy greens, or about 2.5 to 3 cups (FYI a cup is a US measurement - it's 8 fl oz so get a container that's 8 fl oz and pack the greens into it) every day.

She gets about 1/2 a cup of pellets a day, too. Both the veg and the pellets are divided into two or three smaller feedings over the course of the day.

Of course, she gets unlimited hay (of varying types!).

AMETHYST

Back