• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

E.Cuniculi - Less Common Symptoms?

sonnet

Alpha Buck
I know the common symptoms of E.Cuniculi are head tilt, limb paralysis, rolling etc but what are the less common ones?

I ask because although Dylan has none of the above he is being treated for suspected E.C as he has had tummy problems, urinary spotting, weight loss & lack of appetite/reluctance to eat.

Be very interested in others experiences.

The only symptoms my Bee bunny had were weight loss (in spite of healthy appetite) to the point of being emaciated and then after a while he would fall over sometimes and a couple of times couldn't get his back legs up the garden step or the ramp.

Frequent stasis was the only sign in my two bunnies... Both responded to Panacur, although there was probably permanent damage.

There should be a vaccination against it like the others :(

I so wish there was. Hopefully in the future there will be. It was only when Amber got it i realised how common it was! :(

Amber had what both me and the vet thought was a slight limp on the Saturday morning and she was slightly off her food but ate it. The vet gave her Metacam. It was the Sunday evening I noticed a slight head tilt.

Hope Dylan will be ok x

Buster's blood test for EC came back negative but he's responded to Panacur so I'm pretty sure it was that (he has a poor immune system so he may have had a problem producing the antibodies which are picked up in the test). He had urinary dribbling, weight loss, gut slowdown, gas, drinking and urinating excessively. He was depressed and lethargic too. The Panacur finished last Saturday and no recurrence of symptoms yet, fingers crossed.

Hope your bun is feeling better soon x

I know the common symptoms of E.Cuniculi are head tilt, limb paralysis, rolling etc but what are the less common ones?

I ask because although Dylan has none of the above he is being treated for suspected E.C as he has had tummy problems, urinary spotting, weight loss & lack of appetite/reluctance to eat.

Be very interested in others experiences.

Why was EC suspected for those symptoms? I'm guessing it's a possible link to kidney damage.

I have a rabbit, Artie, who had lack of appetite and just generally out of sorts and one day he was in chronic pain and was diagnosed with kidney stones which almost certainly had been the cause of him being unhappy (background pain) for a month or two. He was diagnosed with EC which most likely damaged the kidney causing it to develop stones.

Why was EC suspected for those symptoms? I'm guessing it's a possible link to kidney damage.

I have a rabbit, Artie, who had lack of appetite and just generally out of sorts and one day he was in chronic pain and was diagnosed with kidney stones which almost certainly had been the cause of him being unhappy (background pain) for a month or two. He was diagnosed with EC which most likely damaged the kidney causing it to develop stones.

I agree that if bladder sludge/stones and/or Kidney stones have not been ruled out then I would think this aspect needs to be considered.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/Mech_diseases/Urolithiasis.htm

What diagnostics has your Rabbit had ?

When Zinzan first developed symptoms of EC (in her case it was loss of balance) she also lost her appetite. This resolved itself though - the way I knew she was happy until the end was that she would still bite my hand off (nearly literally) for a bit of banana or a cherry tomato.

One of her symptoms as she got worse was urinary incontinence.

She also had retrobulbar abscess in one eye, blindness in both eyes, hind leg paralysis, rectal prolapse.

She lived surprisingly happily after diagnosis at 7 years old until we had to have her put to sleep (she couldn't breathe one day) at 10 and a half years.

At the stage you're at, even though EC does cause incontinence, tbh I would be thinking kidneys as well rather than EC. Have the vets offered to scan them?

I didn't think he was showing the typical signs of bladder sludge/stones: blood in urine, chalky/sludgy urine, straining to urinate etc. however I am concerned that his wee is very strong in smell & colouration (not like it was before he was taken ill) & that he is still spotting wee (occasionally), he also doesn't seem to be keeping himself quite as clean down below like he normally does.
He was due to be admitted on Monday for further tests but perked up on the Sunday so we decided not to proceed. However, I'm taking him back tommorow as although it causes him considerable stress going there he's now gone a bit quieter again & is picking at food & ignoring most of his hay again :cry:

Would an Ultrasound Scan or an X-ray be my best option for checking the bladder/kidneys?
Also can they do it unsedated?

I didn't think he was showing the typical signs of bladder sludge/stones: blood in urine, chalky/sludgy urine, straining to urinate etc. however I am concerned that his wee is very strong in smell & colouration (not like it was before he was taken ill) & that he is still spotting wee (occasionally), he also doesn't seem to be keeping himself quite as clean down below like he normally does.
He was due to be admitted on Monday for further tests but perked up on the Sunday so we decided not to proceed. However, I'm taking him back tommorow as although it causes him considerable stress going there he's now gone a bit quieter again & is picking at food & ignoring most of his hay again :cry:

Would an Ultrasound Scan or an X-ray be my best option for checking the bladder/kidneys?
Also can they do it unsedated?

I would think ultrasound is best as you're looking at soft tissue. Piccolo recently had an ultrasound on his heart fully conscious - this can be quite stressful though as they also have to shave the area while the rabbit's awake.

Even when Zinzan was mobile she wasn't able to clean herself well - we had to give her a bottom bath every day to keep her clean. It was a bit like having a human baby towards the end - bottom baths, feeding her when she wasn't mobile enough to eat, at the end she had nappies to draw the urine away from her skin, cream on the inside of her legs to protect her skin (the vet recommended bepanthen as it's not harmful if injested) and she loved to be swaddled (in a towel after her bottom bath) and cuddled to sleep

I'm not sure if x-ray or ultrasound scan would be better but if you are looking for calcium deposits such as bladder/kidney stones or sludge they are very easy to see on x-ray, a calcified bladder is just so obvious. As above post, it can be done without sedation. I presume this is less stressful for the patient than an ultrasound as over and done with quicker but I've only ever had rabbits x-rayed I'm only assuming this to be the case.

Back