• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help with Head tilt advice after the inital stages

alio71

Mama Doe
Rory contracted severe head tilt before just before Christmas. He has been treated with all the usual drugs metacam, panacur and baytril. He has been so badly affected I didn't think he would survive however, Rory has other ideas. He has managed to eat, drink and clean himself for the last few weeks and has shown an incredible will to survive. He has now stopped rolling and is managing to walk about again. I have been massaging his neck and trying to help him exercise to stretch his stiff neck. I know there is no quick fix to this but Rory has shown such incredible spirit that I now want to support him with the best possible accomodation, treatment that I can. That's where I'm hoping for some advice. He is an indoor bun and his best friend Easter has helped him through this. He used to live as part of a group in the conservatory but I don't feel this will be possible anymore. What sort of enclosure would you make for them? What do I need to consider and what things are good to put in it? Also has anyone had any success with anything like accupuncture or any other drugs that may help lesson the tilt? I remember when I took in a head tilt bun previously I got some great advice and was recommended an antibiotic beginning with c, luckily the bun I had quickly sorted herself out so I didn't need it but now when I do I can't find the info!!! :evil: Any help welcome please :D

Rory contracted severe head tilt before just before Christmas. He has been treated with all the usual drugs metacam, panacur and baytril. He has been so badly affected I didn't think he would survive however, Rory has other ideas. He has managed to eat, drink and clean himself for the last few weeks and has shown an incredible will to survive. He has now stopped rolling and is managing to walk about again. I have been massaging his neck and trying to help him exercise to stretch his stiff neck. I know there is no quick fix to this but Rory has shown such incredible spirit that I now want to support him with the best possible accomodation, treatment that I can. That's where I'm hoping for some advice. He is an indoor bun and his best friend Easter has helped him through this. He used to live as part of a group in the conservatory but I don't feel this will be possible anymore. What sort of enclosure would you make for them? What do I need to consider and what things are good to put in it? Also has anyone had any success with anything like accupuncture or any other drugs that may help lesson the tilt? I remember when I took in a head tilt bun previously I got some great advice and was recommended an antibiotic beginning with c, luckily the bun I had quickly sorted herself out so I didn't need it but now when I do I can't find the info!!! :evil: Any help welcome please :D

It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job. I really hope it works out well for you both.

I have a rabbit who is 2.1/2 weeks into head tilt symptoms. She keeps still most of the time as when she moves she starts rolling about. She is eating very well so we will just keep going in the hopes she improves in time. I feel pretty cruel at times seeing her just lying there but I am hoping she will get better. I have no suggestions sorry but hope your bun continues to get better.

We bought Jazz an indoor pop up tent from ebay as the sides are softer than the hutch so if he rolled it wasn't going to hurt him,I put puppy pads down on the floor of it and then when he wees you can just throw them straight away,I also put a single quilt in the centre of the pen as the space overwhelmed him at first,he felt safer with a feeling of something on each of his sides,he is now running round like a mad one improved much better in this than in the hutch,he still rolls though,fingers crossed for you xxx

My bun didn't have the tilt but had to learn hoe to walk again. Malteser s story is on here.
We took him for acupuncture, no idea how it work s but it did, every penny was worth it! As for meds he had the same. I keep him on vet bed/profleece in his hutch as he needs a really stable footing. He is a house bun. When he was ready to walk again I made a set up in the spare bedroom using boxes and made bumpers around the edges using old towels and clothes. If you want to pm me you are more than welcome xx

Back