• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

urgent advice needed please

lucy24

Mama Doe
i have to get honey to weekly appts for snuffles-ive already cancelled one due to me health being so bad. am due in today but struggling. do vets do home visits for people with long term illness? i just dont know what to do. im in so much pain myself but honeys snuffles is very bad too.:cry::cry::cry: i might have to get a taxi today but usually i have to go by bus as no one in the family drives. i really need advice:cry:

If it means you can go then I would taxi. Is ther no one in your family who could take her for you? If she is bad then she probably does need to be seen, it must be horrible feeling like you can't take her :(

mum has agreed to take her today but she wont do it every week-she is already in a bad mood because of it and i feel so guilty. mum is going to talk to the vet for me so hopefully a solution can be sorted. i just feel like im letting everyone down at the moment, including poor honey bunny :(

That must be very difficult for you. :( I would speak to the vet about home visits. I don't know if they all offer them but, if they don't, they might be able to arrange something for you in the circumstances. My daughter works at a vet and they do lots of home visits though, for all kinds of reasons.

I would taxi if you can or call the vets, explain the situation and see what they can do.

For future I would try to arrange some transport - your area might have a "Good Neighbours Association" or a Pets to Vets Scheme" or perhaps a friend or neighbour would drive you, or a local RU'er.

Lucy, I will always take you if I can, or alternatively (and probably better as the bunnies won't need to travel) why not ask Kate if you can start doing the jabs at home again and I'll come up once a week to do them? Then she can check them at the surgery every so often for a followup.

The stress of worrying about this won't help you - and I'm happy to do it.

Talk to Kate today by phone or get your mum to ask and if Kate is happy, get your mum to bring enough abx and needles/syringes etc and I'll carry on from here. Tuesday works for me normally too.

p.s. KV do homevisits but do make a charge to do so, quite a bit more than a normal consult.

Last edited:
Back