• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Make your own lidded litter tray/outdoors litter tray

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
I've had a few questions about this over the years and I've just had to replace it so I thought I'd show you all how it's done. Super simple, barely needs pics :lol:

So I get this box from wilkinsons:

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/plastic-storage-/storage-box-and-lid-clear-80l/invt/0239167/?VBMST=80L

77BCEF26-3B35-4FEA-B8F8-CFDC821D4A78-135-0000000310099962.jpg

Then use a stanley knife and score down the faint straight line at the bottom:

827003DC-4F6A-4989-91CF-E79FEAE16596-135-00000003172F92E2.jpg

Then cut around the other sides carefully, snap the middle out and fill up!

85C0BCE7-63AE-492A-BC26-FEC21C202D4C-135-000000031E6821CA.jpg

N&T love this so much. No other way of feeding hay outside is convenient for me - it always blows everywhere. N&T really love going inside to munch and they seem to really enjoy the see-through-ness of it (they don't go in anything that's not see-through outside). They love sitting/sleeping on top too.

So yeah... super easy! The box I linked basically has the grooves for you to cut. You could the holes to make it smoother etc, but even with a stanley knife the edges come out really smooth and fine.

Could probably also use it as a diggy box!

P.S yeah I snapped it at the sides a bit - doesn't matter :lol:

Last edited:
I think I will try that for a digging box! Smudge loves to dig but tends to choose the carpet and I worry about him ingesting it, but I always worry about it getting everywhere too. That looks like a fab solution, thank you for sharing! I was thinking one could always put some tape round the edges if it's a bit sharp.

I think I will try that for a digging box! Smudge loves to dig but tends to choose the carpet and I worry about him ingesting it, but I always worry about it getting everywhere too. That looks like a fab solution, thank you for sharing! I was thinking one could always put some tape round the edges if it's a bit sharp.

No problem, thought I'd share because it was only chance that I came across how to do it easily and it's come in so handy! It really does keep all the mess in :D! This ones edges are nice and smooth (they look raggedy on the picture because of the megazorb I think :lol:) but my old one was a bit sharp to begin with. I just filed it down with some files we have here, but I know not everyones gonna have wood/metal-working files :oops:! Sandpaper would work well too I think!

This is perfect! I reckon I will give this a go for a digging box :thumb: Thankyou

A metal nail file would probably do the job for any sharp bits

this is what i use for bisc and matts nebulising. just make a small hole for the nebulising nozzle to go into and steam away! :thumb:

Great idea! I was using an old cat carrier for a similar purpose but because it has a big door they drag all the hay out! Thanks :)

I made one of these for my messy ferrets but i used a heated old metal kitchen knife find it is less likely to crack. Just remember to dip knife in cold water when finished.

:wave:

I recently bought a hooded cat litter tray from PAH. They sell them in B+M Bargains for about a tenner. I can see that something see through would be more attractive to the bunnies, though! ;)

I'm going to.buy a smaller box, and use it for a foraging/digging box for indoors :lol:

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk

Back