• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New to Rabbits...looking for help before we buy!!

Mudpie

New Kit
I'm looking to buy a couple of rabbits. Trying to sort things out now so that we can have the rabbits at the start of Easter Holidays and kids can have a couple of weeks at home bonding with them, does that make sense.

Would appreciate any help with:
1. Titles of books to help with caring for them.
2. Most appropriate rabbit breed (if there is one) - we have 2 children (aged 8), they are sensible when it comes to animals - maybe not at other times!
3. Buy from breeder, rescue or pet shop???
4. Hutch/run, how big where to buy from? Luckily we have a large garden but it is exposed and foxes have been seen.

Thanks!
I'm sure more questions will follow!

Hi there!

Not to discourage you but rabbits aren't always the best pets for children. They don't like being picked up or held, and are easily injured if mishandled. The shelter I volunteer with don't recommend children handle the bunnies at all, and interact with them only when supervised by an adult. That said, if you have realistic expectations about what a bunny can offer you, it can definitely work!

DEFINITELY rescue. In the UK, there are over 30K rabbits in shelters. A shelter will be able to help you find a bunny that has a personality to suit you best. Also, they will already be neutered and vaccinated.

I'm sure lots of other folks here will respond helpfully but that's my first few thoughts. Maybe browse some of the section on this website to help you get a sense of caring for bunnies!

AMETHYST

The Rabbit Welfare Association have a PDF of their booklet with lots of basics: http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/RWAbrochuremaster.pdf

I'd certainly recommend a rescue on the grounds that neutering/vaccinations will all be done for you and they'll have a wide range of breeds/ages (including babies) to choose from. It's more about personality that breed so being able to meet a wide range of rabbits is a big bonus.

Do keep in mind rabbits can live 10 years so no matter how animal focused your eight year olds are now it may be very different when they are 18! So you need to want the rabbits for yourself too - you'll end up doing the work :)

I'd rec a shed/walk in run as the best outdoor option as everything is soo much easier if you can walk in to interact/clean. It generally doesn't work out much more expensive than a sturdy hutch either. Big as you can get basically size wise, you probably won't find anything in your local pet shop then tend to be very small.

If you have foxes, you might find it better to buy a shed/wooden playhouse for the bunnies and have a run attached. Min hutch size is 6x2x2 with 8x4 run attached so they can hop about as they please :D Really for the price of a decent hutch you could get a huge shed for them :D

Deffo go to a rescue, I volunteer at one and there are SO many beautiful, sweet natured rabbits just waiting for their forever homes.

Hi! :wave:

Im in hertfordshire too...and know a wonderful rabbit rescue...its called The Rabbit Residence. Its owned & run by a wonderful lady called Caroline.

She has over 150 buns all looking for forever homes...all rescue buns...all types and ages....and the best thing is she acts as support for care afterwards. Her experience is huge and she ensures you know what you need to know about caring for rabbits. They have an adoption process where they make sure you have the correct and of course safe (from foxes etc) set-ups for the buns to ensure they have enough room to get exercise etc.

She is based in Royston and also does do home visits and can transport rabbits.
She asks for £40 donation per rabbits.....BUT all the buns will be neutered/spayed and also vaccinated...also if you want a pair..which is recommended for them to have their own company....she has pairs already bonded.

By rescuing a neutered/spayed pair of buns means that you can have a male / female pair - which often goes best and you dont have to keep them separate until they are old enough to be spayed/neutered and you dont have to pay for that or take care of them post-op. It also means you dont have to re-bond them into a pair after their ops.
It usually costs about £40 to get a male (buck) rabbits neutered and about £60 for a female (doe) spayed. So getting them from a rescue where they are already done - its cheaper and you dont have to worry about cancers in the doe's either..and the bucks are less hormonal and wont spray wee everywhere!:lol:

I do hope you are able to rescue from her..she does wonderful work and relies on volunteers...have a look through their requirements and giver her a ring...there are so many gorgeous buns that really need loving homes...you'll get an idea of what size accommodation they need....(the bigger the better to leap and play in!:love:)

We also have a wild forage thread on this forum which enables us ot pick wild foods for free form hedgerows etc and are the best foods for the buns tums and teeth. Seem as their teeth never stop growing - its essential they always have fresh branches to chew on and to help keep them down and also hay is 98% of their diet and its essential that they are good hay eater for teeth, tums and to stop dental issues occurring which can be costly in vet fee's.

They need to be vaccinated against Myxi & VHD too...there is anew combination vaccine - however its recommended to have 6 monthly checkups!

Just to add...bunnies are not the best pets for children...they are naturally prey animals...so hide their illnesses/fear ..by the time we realize they are not well..they are usually very ill. so bear that in mind;) They dont tend to like being picked up...they prefer to be fussed whilst they have all four paws on the floor again due to their instincts of being prey and being picked up and carried off as food.
They dont make much noise and are generally un-demanding pets - dogs & cats will make a noise until you do something...rabbits need to have their needs met ...they need to be remembered...they love routine generally and are inquisitive, sweet and playful. Buns Body language is hugely important in learning about your buns personalities,...you can learn how they are, what they trying to say, if they trying to play with you etc....they are wonderful creatures,...but do fear rough handling, can bite and kick out and are best not handled by children without supervision. Its also easy to not see or hear them and accidently step on them...so supervision is essential. Exercise is very important..they need to have large area's / runs or aviaries to run in...especially at night..they tend to be quite lively then!

All this being said....I adore my buns, enjoy going out foraging and getting apple branches & leaves and hawthorn branches and plantain etc for them to eat. I love shaking my head so they flick their ears about and then leap into the air as they respond to my playing with them....they are intelligent & playful...and it took many a months to gain their trust and lay down on the floor at thier level to gain their trust...if anything my buns have taught me patience...they are stubborn when they want to be but so accommodating if you spend time letting them understand what you want...routines work well!
I hope this helps!
http://www.rabbitresidence.org.uk/index.html

:wave: Just thought - its been mentioned already but if I could have any type of accomadation for my buns...Id get a shed with an aviary attached...
I currenlty have a hutch run attached and then a tunnel that comes into my house - into a sideboard which I opena dn the buns have some free range indoors too..enables us to spend time with them..without having to sit out in the cold.

The hutches are never deep enough - you need a really deep hutch..like 3 foot at least.
Its surprising that one you have their water bowls and litter trays and toys in there..there is no room for the bunny! :roll:

I also find the hutch a pain to clean - only becuase when its raining Im struggling to keep the bin of hay dry whilst I clean and refresh hay etc and also I get soaked whilst my heads in the hutch sorting everything out.

Alot of people have sheds with a cat-flap leading to a secure aviary..its perfect - you can then clean and sort the bus out in the shed and keep dry. You know they secure from foxes etc and have room to run and play...they also warm in the winter and able to keep cool in the summer if the shed insulated.

Having bun accomadation you can walk into and sweep out etc and have large underbed stoarge trays as litter trays just makes it all easier to keep nice.

You can also make the aviary look really lovely with play logs and tunnels and potted herb plants etc...

I would highly recommend rescue rabbits :wave:

With rescue rabbits they are already neutered/spayed, vaccinated and bonded. They will also help direct you to rabbits with a personality that suit you. And the rescue is always there to help if you need it later on.

Rabbits can live up to 10 years old (sometimes longer!) so be prepared for a long commitment.

For outside housing I would go for a shed with an aviary over anything else. If I had the space for it I would totally sell my hutch and run to get a shed and aviary. It's much more fox proof and easier to interact with your buns. If you look on the housing part of the forum you should be able to find many examples of housing and which ones are best suited for your garden/price tag :) And as always, bigger is better!

Rabbits are quite delicate animals, especially their spines and they also have very powerful back feet. So do be careful with young ones handling them.

Definately go to a rescue and tell them you want buns who don't mind being handled. If you buy babies from a pet shop/breeder you have no idea of their personality and may end up with rabbits who dont like to be handled. Also they will try to sell you a same sex pair and you will most likely end up with them fighting when they hit 'that age' and could end up with 2 single rabbits or the one that catches many people out 2 of the same sex only they aren't the same sex so 2 buns ends up as 8 buns! You will also have to neuter/vaccinate again very costly but not so much so if you get them from a rescue. They will also have been vet checked.

I would definately recommend kennel/shed/run on paving slabs so foxes can't dig in.

Thanks, for all the advice.

Will definitely look at rescue and probably take a look at the rabbit residence first

I realise that I will probably end up looking after them, but due to allergies cats are out of the question.
and we don't want a dog just yet.

Thanks again to all

:wave:

Chelle makes some great points and I would go and visit/chat to the rescue she suggests.
I have two girls aged 6 and 4 and they love our rabbits. We have always had cats and the children have known from birth that they do not pick pets up- if they want your attention pets will ask. They are fabulous with the rabbits and the rabbits love them - they run to them when they go outside and follow them around the garden.
My girls feed the rabbits everyday, collect forage and change the water.

Please don't be put off by peoples comments re children and rabbits. The fact you are on here and actively looking for advice before getting your pets shows you are a sensible person and I'm sure you will have made sure your kids are too.

When I looked for a mate for Harry I explained that I had small children who would be loud and boisterous in the garden and that is why the rescue suggested Ginny as she is not in the least bothered by this.

Keep us up to date with your decision ( hint rescue bunnies will make everyone love you) and upload photos!

as a starting point for accomodation the rabbit welfare assosiation set a standard of a minimum size being a 6x2x2ft hutch attached to a 6x4x2ft run. as regards foxes, you want to make sure nothing can dig in or out so putting it on slabs is good. or some dig up the ground a little and put mesh down, then turf on top. make sure you have secure bolts on everything and that the mesh is good and strong-no bigger than 1inchx half inch. as already stated, playhouses with runs are good too.

what might be be good with children is if you have a run area that is 3ft or more high so they can get in there and sit with the bunnies. bunnies may not like being picked up alot but they will get curious and hop over you/feed from your hand. they are great to watch!

any rescue will give you the best advice possible as regards food, bedding ect... but this forum will have loads of threads past and present to help with things as they come up too.
some good suppliers of hutches are as follows:
http://www.rehutches.com/
http://www.dawsonsanimalhousing.co.uk/index.php?route=common/home
http://www.facebook.com/Manorpethousing

there is also http://www.happyhutch.co.uk/
although i dont know how strong they are but you could always reinforce the mesh at home.
Covering up hutches at night can give extra protection too.
all the best whatever you decide!

forgot to say-the places above do everything bespoke to your own requirements. there is also kernow pet housing :wave:

Thanks Bunnyconvert, my two adore animals and I'm sure they would treat them well.
It's reassuring to read about how your girls get on with them, must admit I was a little concerned about the comments.
Will put up photos when we get them.

I think that's a big benefit or going for slightly older (6+months), pre-neutered rabbits from a rescues, you get a much better idea of personality ie are they confident around children. Most babies are cute and handleable because of their size but they can change a lot when their hormones kick in!

A big reason for rabbits ending up in rescue is getting brought for young children that get bored - I'm sure you know how quickly a popular toy can become completely ignored :) I think whether bunnies and children work is 100% down to the parent wanting bunnies too and doing the research which is sounds like you're on top of :D

oh wonderful! :D Do let us know how you get on:thumb:...also Caroline is very busy as she runs the rescue "The Rabbits Residence" by herself with volunteers...she has loads of care work to also do with ill bunnies who need abit of tlc before they ready for adoption....so do keep trying until you get hold of her..she so very friendly and passionate about rabbit welfare and finding them loving forever homes!

I have 1 niece and 2 nephews (all under 11 years old) who are very good with my bunnies...they sit and wait for the buns to come over and are never aloud to run about when they free ranging...making sure certain rules are followed enables the buns to feel safe and for the kids to really enjoy playing with them. The kids never pick the buns up..if I pick them up and place them onto the kids lap ...thats ok...so it works out well...it also has enabled them to pass on care advice about rabbits to their friends. The kids love the buns and of course the buns love the extra attention.

Good luck - sounds like youre really finding out everything you need to know.....so exciting!:love::wave:

Hi, I'm in Hertfordshire too :wave: just outside Watford - there are some rescues this way that have rabbits too.

Haven't read all the post but am sure you have had great advise.

I have children too, youngest was 4 when we got our latest 2, the rabbits are mine but he enjoys them too and they have him trained to bring them snax! He can identify many plants , herbs and wild plants through picking them for the buns.

Welcome to the world of bunnies!

:wave: Welcome to RU! You have had some great advice! :)

I too started out on the bunny thing becuase my eldest (she is 6) wanted a rabbit...I knew that I would end up doing 99% of the care so with that in mind I said we needed to look into it...I spent about 6 months gathering info and getting my head around everything :)

We now have 8 bunnies but it wasnt really meant to be like that :lol: all ours are rescues and the kids love them...my eldest likes to sit with them and change their water/feed them/give them hay/make them treats etc but it is me that cares for them all the time!

Ours are all housed in sheds with attatched avairies...the reason for this is that I found hutches very restricitve and when the weather was iffy the kids didnt want to go out with them. With our set ups as they are now the kids can open the avairy door and go in and sit with them, help sweep up and feed etc no matter what the weather is like! :thumb: I also found decent hutches so much more expensive and awkward to clean than sheds. I also have a playhouse set up in the garden with an attatched run but i find it more of a pain getting in the playhouse than the sheds! It also means that when the weather is really pants and they dont want to be out in the run that they still have plenty of room inside the shed to play in :) I have a pair in a 6x4ft shed with attatched 9x6ft avairy and then I have a group of 4 in a 8x6 shed with a 6x6 avairy two indoors at the moment but in the spring they will be going back out to the 5x6ft playhouse and attached 5x6ft run...plenty of space is really important to rabbits...the biggest you can afford/fit into the garden :thumb: Chicken coops that you see on ebay often appeal but actually offer very little space.

Deffinatly rescue...all mine are rescues (some as adults and some as babies) and its really useful as the rescue will know which are more suited to children, which are likely to be more skittish and scared of the kids, they will have had health checks, vaccinations, nuetering etc.

The most important thing for me to get my head around before adopting was their diet...there is such a lot of misguided info out there about how to feed rabbits (you know carrots everyday and loads of museli!) Where as in actual fact a little search of the diet section on here and you will see thats not whats recomended at all anymore! Mine all have a little portion of dry pelleted food (I do also feed rabbit royal musli mixed with sceience selective pellets), very little fresh food (If i do then its normaly fresh herbs...very very rarely vegetables/fruit) and masses of good quality meadow/timothy hay. I feed lots of forage so dandilion leaves and heads, hawthorn, apple sticks and leaves, raspberry/strawberry leaves, willow etc etc etc and the kids love coming out with me and helping me collect it for them (plus tha way its free!) :thumb:
Hay from pet shops can be a bit naf we source ours from a local farm as we also have 8 guinea pigs so get through a fair amount! ;) but online places like www.hayforpets.co.uk and www.thehayexperts.co.uk offer great quality hay for reasonable prices...they hay experts is also great for food, accessories, treats etc :)

As for breeds the first two we got are dutch bunnies, they 2nd pair were dutch bunnies (although we lost one at 8 months) the remaining is now paired with a lovely lop and then we have 2 large lops (possibly french x's) and two french lop babies :thumb:

Anyway best of luck with finding suitable buns :thumb:

Forgot to mention insurance! Bunnies are complex little things and it can be expensive if they get poorly (they always seem to do it on a sunday evening or something when you have to ring out of hours!). Alot of people insure buns with petplan and its a very popular choice...mine are insured with pets at home as they are a bit cheaper (but as always policies differ so check out what applies etc).

Last edited:
don't do it! a pair of rabbits will cost you around £100 a month - make sure you get insurance or it will be more.
hamsters (syrian) are much better pets.

don't do it! a pair of rabbits will cost you around £100 a month - make sure you get insurance or it will be more.
hamsters (syrian) are much better pets.

:? thats not very supportive...we have a syrian hamster and i wouldnt say she is a great pet for kids...too small and fast and sleeps all day! We love her though! I dont think the average pair of rabbits cost anywhere near £100 per month unless they are poorly etc...i certainly dont spend out £400 a month between mine!!

Definetely get from a rescue.
A bonded pair will you some much pleasure.
They are lovely pets and have lovely little personalities.
They are amusing and just sitting watching them is most days
the highlight of my day.
Bunnies are great.
Good Luck and keep us informed.:wave:

Back