• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Latulose and rabbits

natsusakura

Warren Veteran
Is this safe to give to buns?
My friend has messaged me saying her bun has a urine infection and was asking advice on how to get him to take his meds.
He is on baytril, zantac and lactulose and is not eating.
I've never heard of a bun being on lactulose I assume it would be to help keep his gut moving?
But I'm concerned that the high sugar content would not be good for buns tum.
Help anyone?
:wave:

Yes, it can be used as part of the treatment for certain gut motility problems. It needs to be used in conjunction with fluid therapy, it is an osmotic laxative and works by drawing fluid into the bowel, softening impacted matter and making it more likely to start shifting.

It can also be used in certain cases of Liver Disease.

Ok, he's not been given any metacam, a UTI would be painful wouldn't it?
So a good vet should have given painkillers?

Poor bun wasn't given painkillers.
Popped over to see him last night and he was heading into stasis, hadn't eaten properly since Friday am.
Got him to eat dill and mint, and got recovery food into him as well as emprid and a smidgen of metacam.
then got him moving about, he passed tiny poos and they were a weird pale kinda minty green colour and smelly :(
Bringing him to my vets today as the vets my friend uses aren't bunny savvy.
Its the same vets that told Kermit on here to pts her Kermit when he first gor head tilt.
Its handy to know about the lactulose as I have loads here now :) my bunny first aid box is ever expanding :lol:
thank you for your help Jane :)

Poor bun wasn't given painkillers.
Popped over to see him last night and he was heading into stasis, hadn't eaten properly since Friday am.
Got him to eat dill and mint, and got recovery food into him as well as emprid and a smidgen of metacam.
then got him moving about, he passed tiny poos and they were a weird pale kinda minty green colour and smelly :(
Bringing him to my vets today as the vets my friend uses aren't bunny savvy.
Its the same vets that told Kermit on here to pts her Kermit when he first gor head tilt.
Its handy to know about the lactulose as I have loads here now :) my bunny first aid box is ever expanding :lol:
thank you for your help Jane :)

Poor Bun :cry:

Re the Lactulose, it is always essential to consult a Vet BEFORE administering it. There are situations where it may not be appropriate to do so. Also, the fluid therapy (Subcutaneous or IV as well as oral) needs to be given prior to and during the use of Lactulose when being used as part of the treatment of an impaction :)

Cool, I hope I never need to use it for a bun, but at least if I do I have it there and saves me money rather than having to buy it from the vet. :)
So long as I obviously have the right strength, but can check that out when needs be.
Glad I never gave my friends bun the lactulose then! Just stuck to the ones I knew enough about.
*phew*

Back